Article written by Peter Chapman.
Published on 04/11/2009 at 05:00 PM.
- It has hidden depth in the strategy.
- The learning curve is nice and smooth with well-balanced difficulty levels to make things more tricky when you need a challenge.
- It feels like the sort of game you could be dipping in and out of for many months with the Skirmish mode adding a lot of replay-value.
- There could be a little more content with a few more maps and possibly another game mode or two for the multiplayer.
- The art style is nice but unimaginative and unfortunately similar to other recent titles.
- No online multiplayer means that the friendless will be stuck with A.I. skirmishes.
Verdict: On the whole Mushroom Wars is a very fun game with little to criticise. The look of it may be similar to other recent PSN titles but it fits with the game-play perfectly and it is the game-play that makes Mushroom Wars stand out. There is a subtle but impressive amount of strategy at certain points and plenty of opportunity to replay this compelling little game.