Dragon Age: Leliana's Song DLC

A chance to play with Leliana!

Somehow I missed this during the blizzard of news at E3, but I have just found it this afternoon, having given up on the England game shortly after half time, so thought I would share.  I have made no secret of the fact that despite being a big fan of Dragon Age and having put around 300 hours into the game I found the Awakening DLC on the PS3 criminally overpriced compared to the cost on all other platforms.

I was sufficiently incensed that my Dragon Age Blu-ray disc has not been near my PS3 since.  Having also skipped the more recent Darkspawn Chronicles DLC BioWare have now come up with some DLC that might just tempt me back.  Might.

Announced back on the 17th June while I was suffering from E3-fatigue and distracted writing about 3D video the new DLC gives you the chance to play as my favourite NPC, Leliana.  The Dragon Age website says:

Assume the role of Leliana, a young bard involved in a criminal ring that deals in political secrets. Accompanying her mentor Marjolaine on a high-risk mission, Leliana soon finds herself entangled in a game of intrigue that she cannot escape with just her beauty, charm, or stealth. The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed.

• Explore Leliana’s dangerous past and why she joined the Chantry
  • Fully voiced cinematic experience brings the characters to life
  • Unlock a unique reward that transfers into your Awakening and Origins campaign

The DLC arrives, in the US at least, on the 6th July.  Of course, you will not expect me to let this go without saying something about the price, which is 560 Microsoft Points.  That means it as a fair bet that in the UK it will £5.59 as EA are continuing under the impression that one Microsoft Point (MSP) is one penny in UK currency.

We know it is not as the cost of one MSP purchased from Microsoft on Xbox LIVE is 0.85p.  That has not stopped EA setting the price of the PS3 DLC according to the 1p = 1MSP rule.  Awakening was 3,200MSP or £31.99 on PSN.  Darkspawn Chronicles was 400MSP and £3.99 on PSN.  That EA are still keeping to that pricing rule suggests that enough gamers are willing to pay the price.

We also should not forget that if the stories from over a year ago are true and Sony do charge publishers for PSN downloads perhaps this is just EA covering those costs?  Or perhaps their price-setting department are just lazy?  We are never likely to find out of course, but would it not be great to have one of the big publishers open up about how they set prices?

1. bunimomike

Leliana. Hot red-headed fun, count me in. :-)

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 17:39.
  2. Tzereen
    Since: Jun 2010

I tried to make out with her, but the game bugged, and although I was at 100% and in relationship, I couldn’t get her quest.

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 17:54.
    • PhilipJWitow
      Since: Jan 2010

It’s not bugged as much as there are certain things you MUST do in order to get her relationship quest.

You can easily have 100% with all 3 females but it’s also possible to not engage in any relationship quests with them if you’ve done something to permanently hurt them/reject them or if you’ve gone on a relationship with them too quickly.

Seems like Bioware does a good job replicating real-life complicated relationships in games. :P

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 23:23.
      • Tzereen
        Since: Jun 2010

Thanks.
        Will try once more in the future.

Comment posted on 28/06/2010 at 21:36.
  3. Raider197

Phew, thought all of the staff had died on here guys!

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 18:18.
    • Watchful
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Oct 2008

There’s just a post-E3 lull in news, we’re all recovering after the long hours during E3, there’s an awful lot of sport on telly this weekend and it’s sunny out. :)

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 18:26.
      • bunimomike

Yeh, but we’re gamers. What is this “outdoors” you speak of? :-P

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 19:46.
      • Watchful
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Oct 2008

Oh, don’t get me wrong, we’re not outdoors, it’s just the sunlight coming in through the windows is making it harder to see our screens and we’re too lazy to get off the chair and close the curtains. :)

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 20:03.
  4. ibu
    Since: Jan 2010

The ridiculous prices of this and the Awakening packs have put me well off any of EA’s future Dragon Age products. for £32.99 it should be disc based ps3 too considering you can grab the 360 version for £14.99 at a quick glance.

Forget this shit EA.

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 19:56.
    • MadBoJangles

Agree with this 110%.
      Shame too, as I loved DA.

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 20:33.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

same here I’m waiting for the PSN price reduction week if it happens other wise will leave it no way will I pay 31.99 for DLC.

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 21:46.
      • woodsy321

YEah i fourth that, its robbery. Its not even like you can trade it in an get some of your money back. There’s very little replay value.

Comment posted on 28/06/2010 at 11:12.
    • OneShotWook
      Since: Jun 2010

Well your better off without Awakening,i stupidly felt rash the one day and bought it,since installing it i havn’t been able to play it or the original campaign as it turned the games framerate into unplayable for me.The patch helped a little but in no way did the framerate reach what it did without the expansion.
      Cash issues aside since being a fan of Bioware with Baldurs gate 1 and 2 i honestly think they’ve become completly overated,delivering only on an (admittedly good)story level.

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 21:57.
  5. Ecko_Warrior
    Since: Jun 2010

Some how I can’t remember her :S
    I wont be buying this I only realised how buggy and slow this game is. :(

Comment posted on 27/06/2010 at 23:40.
    • Charmed_Fanatic

lol she is in Lothering, you have to collect her, if you dont, you will not know her :P

Comment posted on 28/06/2010 at 21:07.
  6. tinman9
    Since: Jun 2010

Loved the voice of Leliana from DA – so soothing…
    One of the better characters from the game

Comment posted on 05/07/2010 at 16:02.