PS3 Black Ops Owners Want Their Money Back

BLOPS better on 360.

PS3 owner? Call of Duty: Black Ops owner? Apparently, going off the internet hivemind this morning, you’re meant to be disappointed with it.

The Register has picked up on an internet petition (we love those things) that suggests that PlayStation 3 owners feel their version of the game is sub-par, and with over 2,000 signatures in less than 24 hours it’s obvious this is gathering some momentum.

To frame that figure with some kind of perspective, the game has shifted 1.4 million copies – albeit across all formats.

The petition cites “sub-par graphics, buggy software and less features” than the Xbox 360 version, which has, apparently, better graphics, less bugs and more features than the PS3 version.

One of the main omissions surrounds the split screen online multiplayer, which as far as we were concerned was picked up before the game was released, but the petition references several online sources, such as this one on Product Reviews and this one on CVG.

The petition is essentially requesting “a full refund” for the undersigned’s purchases.

Our review of Black Ops is here, the game scored a 9/10.

1. SpikeyMikey23

less features? and really, your only going to notice the difference in graphics if you are running the to systems side by side. Would your average gamer really do that? These people need to get a grip

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:27.
    • Charmed_Fanatic

thats true! Stupid figures, i bet its Xbox fanboys signing it :P

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:28.
      • Juelz345
        Since: Oct 2008

Funny how a bunch of borderline retarded PS3 owners do something this stupid and it comes back to “Xbox fanboys”…:P

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 16:59.
      • SuperHans
        Banned
        Since: Apr 2010

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 21:44.
      • SuperHans
        Banned
        Since: Apr 2010

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 21:47.
    • Ryan1991

The only feature I can think that the 360 has that the PS3 doesn’t is multiple sign ins.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 17:46.
      • nemesisND1derboy
        Since: Apr 2010

There is also an option on Xbox to boot straight to multiplayer. Thats about it though.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 20:36.
      • SuperHans
        Banned
        Since: Apr 2010

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 21:51.
      • SpikeyMikey23

I’ve been searching everywhere for the ‘straight to multiplayer’ option on the ps3 version! bastards! REFUND!!!!!!!

Comment posted on 28/11/2010 at 11:51.
  2. 3shirts

The bigger a game is, the more harshly people criticise it. It’s a sad fact of modern life and I think it transcends gaming actually, to almost all media

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:31.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

good point
      was reading various comments on web/not here re: GT5
      for every good comment, there were was always someone moaning
      & GT5 imo is 1 of the best titles this gen

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:51.
  3. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Would they be American by any chance?

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:33.
    • scavenga

My first thought as well. That, or Swedish.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:27.
  4. Amphlett

Neee narr, neee narr. Grammar Police… Shouldn’t that be “fewer features”?

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:35.
    • djhsecondnature

Not if you consider less and fewer in the same context as evolving language seems to suggest :-p

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:55.
      • jayjay119
        Since: Apr 2010

I’m a language student and I’d say both are gramatically correct, although using ‘less’ does seem to suggest some sort of ellipsis going on.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 12:50.
  5. Redh3lix

I traded my copy in for vouchers in readiness for GT5. Absolute trash of a game. I don’t know WHY I get suckered into buying COD. I guess I get sucked into the hype but that was certainly the LAST in the series I’ll ever buy.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:37.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

Same here! Traded it in on the 2nd day of release and just did the same with GT5.
      In fact, in my opinion I’m finding all these highly anticipated 9/10 type games to be crap (or not to my liking should I say) and end up enjoying the so called mediocre games a hell of a lot more – Thats hype for ya.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:59.
      • dizwod

I have never bought a COD game and never will.

I hate games where its the multiplayer over singple player, i dont have enough time to play online all the time.

Hence why uncharted and AC2 got played when i had a spare moment, easy to play and without getting pwnded every moment in a muliplayer as everyone has been playing them for 4 years now :(

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:39.
      • bigwhiteyeti
        Since: Oct 2008

@dizwod- Call of Duty 4 was the one title in the series with an equally strong single player. World at War was arguably strong as well, but marred by lackluster enemy AI. I suggest picking up the first modern warfare for the campaign, if you’ve never played a COD at all.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 12:57.
  6. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

What? nearly all multi-platform games suffer on the PS3 which you can see if you run them side by side or read up on thorough analysis.

Very few games achieve platform parity like Criterion & Visceral

The hivemind is a very dangerous place & 2,000 is just a drop in the ocean once a bandwagon gets rolling

I’m just looking forward to a patch which helps beef up the host migration, because at the minute when a host rage-quits, people are getting disconnected. Also, a penalty for quitting should be patched in so it reduces the chances of it happening in the first place.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:40.
    • BrendanCalls
      Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

How about each day you get 2 quits, that’s it. If you quit more than twice in a day then on each occurence you lose 500 COD points, even if it takes you into negative points.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:47.
    • wuntunzee

I don’t think a penalty for quitting or locking anyone in to a game is a good idea. People sometimes have to leave in the middle of a game, and that should be like cashing out your chips and leaving the table. If you happen to be the host, then the code should be made good enough to migrate the host without disconnecting everyone.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:04.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

We can have a good TSA debate over this, I see your point – this is my point on it

Uncharted 2 introduced penalties for quitters, and although ND were slated initially, it meant that people in the game were more inclined to stay through the game.

If you haven’t got time because you’re expecting a taxi to turn up or your dinner’s nearly ready why should your team-mates suffer from losing a team-member… perhaps you shouldn’t joining a game you have no chance of finishing?

A penalty of some kind needs to be introduced into sports games like FIFA where people quit if they’re losing knowing they can instantly join another game, whereas if EA coded that you couldn’t join another game for 5mins & rising if your DNF% goes above certain thresholds then people wouldn’t quit. Same with CoD, the only problem with CoD is that you may be the host, triggering a host migration process (which is being worked on, but isn’t great at the minute yet)

I think with CoD a time penalty before you join another game would be sufficient, as most quitter go on to join another game, hoping to not be on a losing team, but maybe a reduction of XP/CoD Points like Uncharted 2 would work.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 13:18.
      • Blayney
        Since: Sep 2009

Unless they changed the system there already is a penalty for quitting – you lose your match bonus, which is usually a decent amount of xp. This isn’t incentive for the mindless mass that you are generally playing with on CoD – this ruins the game for the rest of us.

I have been guilty of rage quitting when there is some serious lag or spawn campers on things like demolition.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 13:22.
      • Teabags

I’m a big advocate of slapping penalties on quitters, but here is something which really annoys me. Black Ops is riddled with connection problems, and if you are in the middle of a session and get disconnected, it is always counted a loss, no matter if you were winning or losing.

Beings I really only play Ground War (which is the most vulnerable to disconnections) I only finish around 15% of the matches I have started, meaning a massive downer on my W/L ratio. Of course, I could just play a different mode, but why should I be punished, especially due to something which should have been patched up days ago.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 13:28.
      • wuntunzee

I see your point as far as 1 player and few player games like Uncharted go, counting a quit as a loss on Super SF4 is definitely a fair penalty, and in Uncharted’s case, losing one person in a 5 on 5 can completely turn the tables, especially since you can’t have a random joining you after the teammate leaves.

I think the case is different with large team games, especially where the game supports people dropping in, and where the length of the game can be anything up to half an hour. I’m thinking of Bad Company 2, where the teams can get unbalanced but are soon rectified by people dropping in. The effect of a drop out in a team game like this and COD is diffused because of the number of people still playing.

My experience of quitters is limited, 1 or 2 rage quitters on SSF4, a few people quitting early on the last base in BFBC2 but it’s my experience of being locked in, as in Kane & Lynch 2, that makes me think being told never to quit until the game will turn people off of the game entirely.

Your idea about the DNF stat controlling your rejoin time limit is a good one, especially as it is a % of your overall games, and definitely appropriate for 1 on 1 games.

If there are enough players in a team game to absorb the disconnection of 1 or 2 players, nothing needs to be done. It is up to the developer to allow people to join a game in progress, and if the game is being hosted by a player (a ridiculous idea in this day and age) then the migration needs to occur without incident.

My bottom line is that you should be morally obliged to finish what you started, not punished so forcefully for needing to end your session abruptly.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 14:54.
      • Boomshanks

I agree with Teabags. Connection errors are often counted as a “quit” which means that you can’t play for a while in Uncharted 2

Comment posted on 27/11/2010 at 15:53.
    • jcor

This happened to me the other day when I was on 14 kills, 2 deaths with a chopper in the air. The host quit & I got booted out but the rest of my mates were able to stay & finish the game. Needless the say I felt like smashing my joypad through a window!!!

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:49.
  7. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

This is doomed to failure in every sense of the word. I kind of agree with the people who have created this petition, the PS3 version is pretty poor in comparison especially online. The thing is though, who is going to give the petitionee’s a refund. Treyarch made the game so they are responsible for it’s content and feature’s or lack thereof, however unless you amazingly managed to purchase your game directly from them then your contract of purchase is with the retailer you purchased it from. They’re not going to pay out are they.
    In principal they may be right, but they are also stupid if they think it will actually work, but, hey even if it doesn’t least they’ve managed to highlight Treyarch’s lack of care towards the PS3 version.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:44.
    • bunimomike

… and that’s the winner for me. It’s initially a bit daft to think of this going anywhere at all but hopefully Treyarch will see some genuinely pissed off PS3 owners and give it a bit more TLC next time around. We can but hope.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:49.
      • jcor

That’s the other annoying thing, the graphics don’t bother me as much as they bother some other people as it doesn’t really affect how the game plays so much. I’ve never noticed much slow-down anyway through the single player game.

But when Infinity Ward were able to get the 2 versions so close (for MW2 anyway), where any differences were virtually unnoticeable to the naked eye, then why can’t Treyarch get the same results?

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:54.
      • TSBonyman

I guess this what happens when you take one company’s creation and give it to other companies to tinker with, they’re bound to break something. :)

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 19:54.
      • Averna
        Since: Apr 2009

Except that Black Ops is not using Modern Warfare 2’s engine. Its using an updated World at War engine, which doesn’t look anywhere near as good as MW2.

I have to admit I was disappointed with the graphics when I booted it (black ops) up for the first time, but after 30 minutes I didn’t notice it anywhere near as much.

Comment posted on 03/12/2010 at 04:30.
    • DrNate86
      Since: Apr 2010

Indeed, thinking they can get a refund is ridiculous. What I hope however is they patch multiple account sign in’s, and maybe if enough people kick up a stink they will. Unlikely, but it would be nice!

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 18:06.
  8. eye8have9you3

I just miss the 4 person splitscreen, well its still there but there are literally no game options, not even for the length of a game, its a shambles and totally unnecessary

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:49.
    • BrendanCalls
      Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

Where is that, I couldn’t find it.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 10:52.
  9. uber-BARBIE
    Since: Jan 2010

i cant see n e difference to be honest graphicaly from my bros house with a 360 and my ps3. yeah the graphics are crap but what cod game has lush visualls? none.. as for more options im lost now. what kinda options?

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:03.
  10. Ed the Penguin

I have to say that the online connectivity is terrible at times. It’s a shame, as it could be such a great multiplayer experience all the time, not just during a 1 in 3 chance of a ‘good lag free game’.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:17.
    • jcor

This is my only problem, I wouldn’t complain about the graphics but there are some problems still with the online mode. Parties are still getting thrown in to different lobbies or just being disbanded & the host migration is awful.

Anytime I’m in a party with friends using headsets, if I mute a stranger so I can just talk to my mates it ends up muting them as well half the time!

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:32.
    • uber-BARBIE
      Since: Jan 2010

Bro just search for locale only games u wont have half as much trouble with laggy servers..

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 11:52.
      • Ed the Penguin

@uber-BARBIE, tried that one over and over.. No difference!

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 12:18.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

There is no such thing as servers, it’s P2P hosted, it will be as laggy as the worst connection in the players playing.
      Disconnects come from hosts quitting, host migration should be better, yes!

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 13:08.
      • Ed the Penguin

I’ve played plenty of games that use P2P for multiplayer, but nothing as bad as this. I’m getting tired of leaving one lobby to join another because there’s one guy with one red bar on his connection. Everyone else shouldn’t have to have poor gameplay because of it.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 13:29.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

@ed, the more p2p traffic the internet has, the worse p2p gets, therefore with so many people playing CoD onlie this time of the year makes the lag seem bad.

@CC, you seem to know your stuff so I have a query: how come i sometimes die before i even have chance for my finger muscles to press shoot? it annoys me so much as i know i will beat 80% of people face to face.

Comment posted on 26/11/2010 at 22:11.