Top Spin 4 Dated, Gets Move Support

Sorry, no Kinect tennis for you!

2K Sports has announced that ‘Top Spin 4′ will be sprinting its way to UK stores as of March 18th, which is the usual three days later than our friends across the pond.  The game is set to feature big names such as Rafael Nadal, Anna Ivanovic, and Andy Murray, and eagle eyed gamers have spotted a welcome ‘PlayStation Move Features’ label on the box cover.

It has since been confirmed that Move has indeed been implemented, and Kinect has not (which is probably for the best due to the precision needed).

Source: Press Release, Joystiq

1. jayjay119
    Since: Apr 2010

I’m looking forward to what motion controlled gaming will bring this year. Sony certainly need to pull their finger out with move, alhtough MS’s plugging seems to have noticably decreased since xmas.

I imagine this year we will see a lot more games with Move support than Kinect. Not being fanboyish, but I just imagine designing a game with move support would be much easier than developing for kinect as far as multiplatform games go.

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 11:04.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

Im the same as you. The way I look at it is –

Move is an addition to games to add a new concept. There are going to be few games that wouldnt work without move (just wouldnt be as much fun).

Kinnect is game defining almost. It almost chooses the game, since it can’t be implemented on so many current genres.

There are exceptions to this, but think this is a decent general view of it.

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 11:07.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

That’s because Move has what we call.. BUTTONS!

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 11:27.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Why didn’t I think of that :D

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:00.
      • shields_t
        Since: Oct 2008

Buttons, so last year. I’m looking forward to controlling games with my sense of smell in 2011.

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:38.
      • Darth Newdar
        Since: Oct 2010

I want to control games by flicking my eyes around! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2kw5MJK24&feature=player_embedded

Amazing video!

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:41.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

I don’t want to have to use any strength whatsoever. I want to control games with my BRAIN!

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:58.
    • jayjay119
      Since: Apr 2010

I thought of it, but I thought it was implied… honest *shifty look*

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:02.
    • Darth Newdar
      Since: Oct 2010

I agree, a lot of developers are announcing Move support, but no Kinect support for games. That’s Tiger Woods 12, Top Spin 4, Virtua Tennis 4, de Blob 2… pretty good from Sony’s point of view!

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:38.
  2. kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

Hmm I think virtua Tennis 4 will be the better game. Both with and without move.

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 11:20.
    • jayjay119
      Since: Apr 2010

I’m at an odds to understand how one tennis game could be better than another, surely once you have played one you have played em all, no?

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 13:18.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Depends on how short the girls skirts are. Thats the make or break of it.

Oh and when the girls make that totally unnecessary (but lovely) sound when they hit the ball. Get those two things right and the game is sold!

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 14:14.
      • MaD dOctoR 79
        Since: Dec 2010

that’s like saying “once you’ve played a game, any game, you’ve played them all” which is complete and utter tosh.

Top Spin has always been the better of the 2 franchises for me the controls, the graphics and the overall presentation, that being said, I’ve not seen anything of the latest 2 games, so it could have all changed.

Comment posted on 20/01/2011 at 02:06.
  3. Darth Newdar
    Since: Oct 2010

Top Spin 4 vs. Virtua Tennis 4! Let the war of the… umm… move-controlled Tennis games begin?

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 12:36.
  4. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

firstly id like to say, the wealth of content in the last 2days, is very impressive & of the highest quality
    presentation & detail

out of all of the news this year, possibly longer, a topspin announcement has to be my favourite before i’ve even read it
    so regret trading the last one, a mistake i wont make again

topspin is to gaming tennis, as pes is to gaming football, a sim imo
    after kz3 & uc3, my most anticipated game thus far

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 14:15.
  5. aerobes

This could be amazing. I know I’ll be renting this at the very least.

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 17:05.
  6. GiggleFish
    Since: Jan 2011

Can’t wait to give this one a play. Love getting the chance to use my move!

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 18:11.
  7. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

cool an actual decent tennis game for move. since i bought move before christmas i have’nt bought a single game for it, as i think most of the move games out are poor and the rest im not interested in, so hopefully this tennis game might validate my purchase of move, unless sorcery comes out before it which i doubt.

Comment posted on 19/01/2011 at 19:12.