Kinect Integration For Fight Night?

Just one more round.

EA are looking into ways of best utilizing Kinect for a Fight Night game, if an article by Eurogamer is to be believed. As we have previously reported, the upcoming game ‘Fight Night Champion’ will not have Kinect control, but that could change in the future. Fight Night Champion producer, Mike Mahar, had the following to say:

“It’s definitely something we’re looking at. We’ve done some pretty cool prototyping. It could perhaps be a mini-game embedded in. Then again with how precise and how robust the movement and motion controls are now, I think we’d be doing them a disservice if we simply said that our version of a motion control game is a mini-game within Fight Night.

I think we’d best serve the community, if we’re going to do anything ever, with a totally different game. That’s the speculation on my part.”

The question of gamer fitness was once again raised, with Mahar claiming that most simply wouldn’t be able to stand up and punch for ten rounds. Whilst this may be true, I’m sure a staggered system could be put in place which gradually builds you up to a full bout.

So, Kinect boxing – yay or nay?

Source: Eurogamer

1. ghag07

So at what point does gaming stop become gaming and just turn in to hard work? Could be cheaper than a gym membership though! Or 10 years in jail after a punch up at the local

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:04.
    • Jaffa-the-Cake
      Since: Oct 2010

I dont understand the draw of motion gaming. The whole point of playing games is that its an occasional treat for me and gives me a chance to have a rest. No one plays motion games for more than a short 30min burst because its work we don’t want to do on our rest time. That’s why my wii fit is gathering dust.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 17:09.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

I love gaming but I can also never get enough of excersise, I enjoy tit that much, so this would be brilliant….
        ….if it was also on PS Move :P

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 21:41.
  2. GhostViper
    Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:05.
    • GhostViper

Then again, I should read the article first.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:06.
  3. JesseDeya
    Since: Jan 2010

Nay.

At least not for a serious fight title like Fight Night. Kinect just doesn’t have the fidelity required for the sweet science.

Move on the other hand (ba-doom-ching!).

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:05.
    • Dan Lee
      Common like the rest of us.
      Since: Jun 2010

Playing Devil’s Advocate, I found that the boxing in Kinect Sports flowed much better than something like The Fight using Move. I was surprised.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:07.
      • Foxhound_Solid
        Is a smart cookie.

Since the Patch – The Fight is spot on. Once you understand the controls and keep those feet planted – its a joy and flows easy! My GF is a pro at this game!

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:28.
      • Dan Lee
        Common like the rest of us.
        Since: Jun 2010

I agree, I’ve never had an issue with The Fight, I played it about four times a week. The Kinect boxing just felt smoother.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:38.
      • MaD dOctoR 79
        Since: Dec 2010

that’s probably due to (I could be wrong about this) the game “helping” you out, rather than The Fight which only takes what you give it.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:54.
      • Dan Lee
        Common like the rest of us.
        Since: Jun 2010

I’m not sure, it could be but I did test it out and it was tracking my arms perfectly in terms of speed, movement, and direction. Who knows?

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 14:00.
      • JesseDeya
        Since: Jan 2010

Smoke and mirrors if you ask me. If they make a Fight Night title that that supports Kinect but can be compared to a regular controller accuracy (and lag) it will become evident what assists Kinect is providing you.

That’s not to say it can’t be done and wouldn’t be ‘fun’ as a Kinect only title, but I don’t think just adding Kinect support to their regular title would work.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 20:21.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Kinect doesn’t have fidelity issues at all, as shown by Kinect Hacks, which in the main are awesome & mind-blowingly futuristic. The APIs for the 360 could be holding things back though, but MS will no doubt provide updates as time progresses and as game developers need access to more of the raw tech. By the time something like the next Fight Night (after Champions is ready) I wouldn’t be surprised if the system was more capable than it is now and developers have access to the kind of power I see hackers utilising every single day.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 14:18.
      • JesseDeya
        Since: Jan 2010

Agreed, the camera itself is capable of much more than we’ve seen from the Xbox Kinect titles so far, but it’s a little optimistic to think this can be replicated on the console and still allow processing power for titles like Fight Night.

I too have been following the Kinect hacks, and would describe them as interesting at best. In order to improve dexterity, most devs have elected to move the camera closer to the subject and just use the upper body or a single hand with fingers. In most cases there are still very gross movements required to in order to make pre-determined actions occur.

I’ve yet to see a Kinect hack demo that displays the same level of accuracy and fidelity I get with Move in titles available right now on the PS3, or the tech demos we saw of Move over two years ago. If you can link to something that is awesome and so futuristic it will blow my mind I’d be more than interested.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 20:32.
  4. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

I’d like it to have Kinect and Move support, fitness isn’t really an issue, anything that gives you a work out should be a good thing.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:21.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Exactly, it should be up to the individual

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 14:18.
  5. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

In answer to the question – if they dumb it down maybe in 6 rounds at 60 seconds a pop, you know more arcadey it could work!

I dream of Victorious Boxing with Move!

Super Punch Out with Move!

Man, these would be awesomesauce!!!

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:32.
  6. kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

Move would be great for this as it needs precise.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:42.
  7. MaD dOctoR 79
    Since: Dec 2010

I thought there wasn’t any Move support either? or has that changed? or is it just mysteriously missing from the article?

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 13:57.
    • Dan Lee
      Common like the rest of us.
      Since: Jun 2010

There isnt Move support, I left Move out of the article as it was about Kinect

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 14:01.
      • MaD dOctoR 79
        Since: Dec 2010

ahh right, it just makes it sound like there is Move support already, plus, if they are “looking into” the kinect, they must be doing something for Move…surely?

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 14:08.
  8. Voolar
    Since: Mar 2009

I don’t see the point of a half-arsed Kinect version unless they offer totally sweet Move support…

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 14:06.
  9. swolern
    Since: Jan 1970

After getting into move on Fight Lights Out I can’t go back to mashing buttons to punch. I love boxing but was going to steer away from this game due to lack of motion controls. If implied I will buy, thanks. For all those complaining about motion controls, ofcourse the game will still have a reg controller for the lazya$$.
    P

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 15:11.
  10. TSBonyman

I guess we’ll know for sure when they decide whether to make a full game or mini game in the end.

Comment posted on 01/02/2011 at 15:14.