Capcom's PSN DRM Gets Rearmed

Here we go again ...

It looks like Capcom haven’t listened to the cries of the community and have once again applied ridiculous DRM requirements to their latest PSN title. This time, the game is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, a single player experience with no online functionality aside from leaderboards, yet requires you to have logged in to the PSN to start the game.

As you may remember, Final Fight: Double Impact had the same requirement and gamers were understandably furious. While it may seem weird to defend, at least Final Fight had a persistent online mode that somewhat justified the inclusion of the DRM. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, however, does not.

To Capcom’s credit, they actually do warn gamers this time around and have included a disclaimer in the game’s description – a lesson learned from the Final Fight fiasco. It should be noted that you can sign out of the PSN immediately after booting up the game and resume playing offline. Unfortunately, you’re out of luck if your internet connection fails or if the PSN is down.

Source: PlayStation Store

1. Nauraph
    Since: Jan 2010

I don’t really mind. But yeah.. it’s a bit drastic..

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:01.
  2. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

This wil sell poorly ands serve as an example to other developers or publishers

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:06.
  3. colossalblue
    Team TSA: Editor

I think that’s a completely crazy way to tackle the problem.
    I think all legitimate gamers respect that there’s a need for publishers to combat the risks of piracy but there has got to be a better way than this. I can only see this sort of thing ruining people’s experiences and alienating areas of the game’s audience.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:09.
    • Delriach

Yeah, this requirement seems like it unnecessarily punishes gamers that legitimately purchased a game. I’m just amazed that they went with this DRM again after all the fuss about Final Fight.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:14.
  4. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

This doesn’t massively bother me personally, but I can sure see how ridiculous it is. It doesn’t bother me because 1 I was never going to but the game and 2 I’m always signed in when I’m playing anyway. The only way it’ll ever be a problem is if your internet ever goes down. I mean, you have to have internet access in the first place to buy and download the game. Anyway, it’ll get terrible sales, then they’ll think twice about it next time

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:34.
  5. Grey_Ghost13

Is this the start of the way things will be now to combat the PS3 being hacked?

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:39.
    • Severn2j

I sure hope not.. Ubisoft tried this method on the PC and it failed badly. As others have said, the only people who get punished this are legitimate users as the pirates just rip the DRM out, so they don’t have to deal with it.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 16:24.
  6. Raider197

It’s incredibly pointless when the game doesn’t even really have any online features. It doesn’t directly affect me, but I’m sure it’ll annoy more than a few gamers down the line. It won’t be a game breaker though, so I’m sure the game will still sell fine.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:41.
  7. yarg2k7

It’s bad enough not having a hard copy of games from psn but this is an absolute joke. This will certainly drive poor sales but concerns me who may follow capcom. It’s a price we have to pay for piracy I suppose !

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:43.
  8. grimm

Definitely won’t be paying full price for this then.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:45.
  9. shields_t
    Since: Oct 2008

Frankly it’s the price that puts me off BC2 rather than the DRM. I’d be pissed if I was to buy it and still had my diabolical old broadband connection though as I don’t think I’d ever be able to boot it up.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:46.
    • Delriach

I can’t believe they went with the $14.99 price in the US. The first game was $9.99 >_<

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 15:54.
  10. hazelam

really glad i’m not interested in this game now, although that does mean my refusal to buy on the grounds of not wanting to support drm like this doesn’t really count as a lost sale, because i wasn’t gonna buy it anyway.

certainly not at that price anyway, and now, well, not at any price.
    maybe 99p, i might buy it for 99p.

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 16:07.
    • hazelam

so yeah capcom, 99p.
      see that? you just threw 99p down the drain. o_O

Comment posted on 02/02/2011 at 16:29.