DC Universe Cannot Be Resold

Don't buy a pre-owned copy.

Sony has released a statement confirming that the DC Universe Online account is locked to the original disc. If you buy a second hand copy and purchase a new subscription the game will not work.

“Once the PSN key has been consumed with a disk it cannot be resold/replayed with the second user adding a sub – only the original consumer can use that acct.” said Sony Online Entertainment, “Disk and account are one.”

A somewhat curious move because you have to pay a monthly subscription to play DC Universe Online – Sony would never be out of pocket even if the game was bought by another player.

Source: LazyGamer

1. Kevling

I saw a used copy in Gamestation on Friday. They’re not going to be happy fish about that.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:17.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Yep I saw copies in HMV and CEX

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:22.
      • theberzerka

Was just about to pick up a copy from blockbuster thank god for tsa!

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 14:37.
  2. Louise

So… they’ve crippled their own game? Nice.

I mean, there’s no reason to make such a move with the subscription charge. It seems highly illogical.

Ah well. I liked the Beta, but the subscription charge put me off. So, this won’t affect anything for me anyway.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:26.
  3. wilboss
    Since: Sep 2008

Wow really? Doesn’t make sense to me, as the OP states Sony/the devs will still be getting the monthly subs payment, so surely this sort of game doesn’t need to be locked.

Surely anyone sat on the fence about giving DCUO a try will be put off now.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:28.
  4. jonny_bolton
    Chooses The Impossible
    Since: Oct 2008

Bad times. I was thinking about buying a second hand copy to take advantage of the cheap subscription they’ve got on at the moment. Shame.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:28.
    • SlapnutzUK
      Since: Jun 2010

This is an EXCELLENT point.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:30.
    • Kevling

The problem is that you can’t play the game without a subscription, and you can’t sign up for Legend Pricing *with* a subscription. You have to wait until your free trial has run out before it will even show up in the EU PS Store, whereas in the US, you can see the different options in the store and switch part way through your month, your new subscription will just tack on to the end of the current one.
      As much as I love the game, the various different Sonys involved not talking to each other and doing things differently have really buggered the subscription side up.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:51.
  5. philbert8
    The Frankie Boyle Of TSA
    Since: Sep 2010

It does seem a strange a strange one. If I get bored with it I won’t renew my subscription and it will just sit on my shelf, if I could trade it in Sony will get subscription cash off someone else.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:28.
  6. SlapnutzUK
    Since: Jun 2010

GAME.co.uk has pre-owned copies for £34.99, same as new! lol

Seems daft to me as this type of game makes the money on the subscription, get as many subscriptions as you can.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:29.
  7. Symposium Cacophony

LOL seen a pre-owned copy of this in game, loved the beta shame I haven’t got around in buying it :(

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:32.
  8. dazluss

Couldn’t they just make the first months subs on a 2nd hand disk £15.00 like all these online pass’s that are coming out now for 2nd hand games, Pay this, unlock the disk get 30 days game time.

If you don’t like it sell it on again and the next person has to pay for an unlock code again, at some point the disk just has a nominal value.

I think an MMO should be a downloadable game anyway – doesn’t that make more sense.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:34.
  9. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

I bought an ex-rental copy that still has the 30 day code unused, is this what they mean by the key? Will I be able to use it?

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:41.
    • Kevling

I believe it’s the 30 day trial that gives you the “entitlement” to play the game – there are no other codes in-box – so you should be fine.

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:46.
  10. Mr-Flame-Head
    Since: Mar 2009

well since every mmo game I have ever played has been the same with regards to not be allowed to sell your copy on, I honestly don’t see why it should be a different rule just because it’s a console version

Comment posted on 14/02/2011 at 13:44.