"I Don't Want To Brush My Teeth In A Game" - Danny Bilson On Heavy Rain

THQ's new man yet to shout 'Jason!'

Some may say THQ’s recent re-invention centres around one Danny Bilson, American writer and prolific producer and a self-claimed ‘avid gamer’ – he’s been crucial to games like Homefront, delivering rich stories to a media not normally known for effective exposition.

But one of last year’s most story-based titles, David Cage’s PS3 exclusive Heavy Rain, didn’t find much favour with Mr Bilson.  “I stopped playing,” he said.  “I couldn’t get past ‘brush your teeth, make breakfast’.”

“I just thought, I’m not digging this, I don’t want to brush my teeth in a game.”

It sounds like he wanted to get past the very beginning, though – and obviously everyone should.  “I probably should play it, I probably have some sort of responsibility to play it.  But I’m still a gamer and if I’m not getting it, I’m not going to drive hard through it.”

Games he did play?  Mass Effect 1 and 2 – “they have the best story-delivery system” and Red Dead Redemption – “my favourite game of the year.”

Bilson alluded to helping out with Saints Row 3 though – stopping short of answering whether he’s been involved from the start, but replying with a muted ‘yes’ when asked whether there were things he felt he could add to the series from a screenwriting perspective.

Source: Edge magazine, issue 226.

1. Kronik76

There’s a lot of negativity toward Danny Bilson in some of these comments. Surely it’s up to him to decide for himself whether he likes a game or not? Whether he got past the tutorial or not the gameplay style doesn’t really change that much. If he didn’t like it then fair enough. Calling him names for being honest about his thoughts on it is ridiculous.

Comment posted on 11/03/2011 at 20:32.
    • KeRaSh

Yes, some people don’t get over the fact that some people might not enjoy the games they like. I myself think it’s rather stupid to ditch a game for not liking such a short part of the game but does it have any effect on how I feel about the game? No. So why give a rats ass about someone elses opinion or even go as far as dissing him (or a whole nation…) for it.

Comment posted on 11/03/2011 at 23:02.
    • nofi
      One for all.

I agree. People are too quick to react to anything remotely negative about certain games.

Comment posted on 11/03/2011 at 23:03.
      • Quinlank

I agree… but let he who is without sin, eh?

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 17:47.
  2. aerobes

I like this guy, speaks his mind without being crass or overly critical. Heavy Rain clearly wasn’t for him so it’s up to him to pull his pan out and create something for THQ which is super-amazing and topping sales charts.

Comment posted on 11/03/2011 at 21:22.
    • honkyjesus
      Since: Mar 2011

It’s up to him to voice his opinion. However, saying I hate this game because it isn’t like GTA at all is a little weird. If he would have just said a sentence about the game, fine… he gave enough for a writer to have a full paragraph of his hatred of Heavy Rain then goes on to (idiotically) say that Red Dead Redemption is, on the other hand, everything right with gaming.

It just seemed something a teenager on the Internet would say, or what Rockstar payola is up to these days.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 08:43.
  3. nofi
    One for all.

Heavy Rain was a victim of Cage’s runaway sensibilities. Half the stuff in there was tiresome, I’m with Bilson.

Comment posted on 11/03/2011 at 23:01.
    • ruinereraser

Of course, there’s nothing like good old Halo or Gears Of War stuff. Run and shoot, everybody!

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 20:05.
  4. PriceKitty
    Since: Jan 1970

What an idiot.
    If you can’t take 15 minutes to get past a tutorial that basically preps you for the upcoming levels with fast paced motion controls, then you don’t even deserve to play the rest of the game.

He’s just impatient, it seems.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 00:19.
    • BIGAL-1992
      Since: Jan 2009

But surely it’s up to bilson to decide whether or not he wants to continue playing the game?

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 00:31.
    • dnlgee
      Since: Feb 2011

Of course the story is going to get a lot deeper than the first 15 minutes, but it’s the first 15 minutes where you’re going to get drawn in.

It’s the apparent monotonous gameplay that is putting me off even renting this game. (Although, all I’ve heard is good things)

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 00:47.
  5. honkyjesus
    Since: Mar 2011

“I hate games that are different, you know that game Grand Theft Horse? That is a game that seemed like another game, you rarely brushed your teeth.”

Okay, thanks whoever you are, Danny.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 08:40.
  6. nofi
    One for all.

No amount of namecalling changes the fact that most of Heavy Rain was dull as dishwater.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 09:17.
    • Deathbrin

Well it’s ought to be immersive and realistic, meant to imitate stuff you would do in RL, it doesn’t have to be all stage lights and rock music.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:20.
    • Deathbrin

If you don’t associate yourself with the character or the “mood” of the scene, it might not make sense, it’s just not a “technical” type of the game but more of “emotional” type.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:21.
    • Deathbrin

Don’t forget the hefty amount of thoughts, too.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:25.
    • ruinereraser

Definitely not enough running and shooting, obviously.

Thankfully there’re over two million of gamers who appreciate an innovative new IP, thank you Quantic Dream and Sony.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 20:07.
    • honkyjesus
      Since: Mar 2011

Are you talking to yourself or que?

Comment posted on 13/03/2011 at 18:31.
  7. Deathbrin

Holy crap he was able to put up with ME1 alright but couldn’t get himself to brush teeth in HR? That’s some hypocrisy right there, or does he not brush teeth in RL

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:16.
    • Deathbrin

If anything ME1 is way more complicated (way overcomplicated starting from the controls and ending with the equipment customization) and full with all the elevator rides and planet exploration.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:26.
      • Deathbrin

Don’t get me wrong i love ME and i’m currently trying to put up with ME1 but even after ME2 i’m really struggling with it even after a week. Heavy Rain was different, it’s just do the patterns kind of thing, it gets natural after a short while.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:31.
      • BIGAL-1992
        Since: Jan 2009

Mate, if you want to make a post here, try squeezing it all in one comment. It’s much neater that having to read three different comments.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:42.
  8. fattyuk
    Since: Apr 2010

Every person has the right to opinion.

Shame he didn’t like heavy rain, I though it was brilliant! Platinumed it aswell, shame there was any extra DLC

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 13:56.
  9. Quinlank

Heavy Rain was a good game. Deserved it’s success. While everyone has a right to an opinion, the opinion of someone who claims he didn’t get beyond the first five minutes of gameplay is pretty worthless.

Disappointing (If unsurprising) to see certain staff of this site continue to run this game down at every opportunity though.

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 17:53.
    • ruinereraser

True, and it’s of course again done by a mysterious “TSA News Team” – someone’s ashamed of the written piece, then? ;)

Comment posted on 12/03/2011 at 20:10.
    • honkyjesus
      Since: Mar 2011

True. Not to mention the fact this Bilson hasn’t ever done anything worth noting. Seemed like he can’t even be employed in the game market.

Comment posted on 13/03/2011 at 18:32.