Tretton: Xbox 360 “Running Out Of Steam”

Oh no he didn't!

In an interview with Fortune, SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has taken some serious shots at both Nintendo and Microsoft. Tretton has stated that Sony is experiencing its best year ever, and he is confident mainly because of the tech that is inside the PS3, which he believes outclasses its rivals.

“If you’re really going to sustain technology for a decade, you have to be cutting edge when you launch a platform. Here we are 4 years into the PlayStation 3, and it’s just hitting its stride. We’ll enjoy a long downhill roll behind it because the technology that was so cutting edge in 2006 is extremely relevant today and is conspicuously absent in our competition.”

In terms of the Xbox 360 and Wii, Tretton had the following to say:

“They’re starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond. I mean, you’ve gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I’m doing true accurate motion gaming?

Our view of the ‘Game Boy experience’ is that it’s a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He’s too old for that.”

Where do I start? From a personal viewpoint, I have often talked to others regarding the Xbox 360 and storage space in a DVD, and don’t even get me started on the 512mb of memory included with the Wii. Hardly a selling point.

What I vehemently disagree with is the “Game Boy experience” comment – it seems a tad…outdated. I actually feel slightly put out that because I own a DS it has been implied that I’m not a ‘self-respecting’ gamer. Oh, and referring to all gamers as “he”? The 90s called Jack, they want their ideologies back.

Source: Fortune

1. Gamoc

Yeah, a lot of idiocy from I guy I liked before. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe he was wasted?

I’m just going to assume he was utterly gazebo’d.

Comment posted on 09/04/2011 at 23:43.
  2. bacon_nuts
    Since: Mar 2011

I agree that you shouldn’t call gamers a he, but I’m yet to meet any girl gamers..

Also, he’s from sony, what else would he say?

Comment posted on 09/04/2011 at 23:45.
    • Bladesteel
      Since: Sep 2008

So how should he refer to a gamer then? It?

Nouns have gender so referring to a gamer as he isn’t about the sex of the gamer, its a result of the word and language used. Quit seeing sexism where there isn’t any.

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 08:41.
  3. nofi
    One for all.

The comments about Nintendo are staggeringly ignorant. A ‘great babysitting tool’? Really? ‘No self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those.’ Ugh.

Let me know when the PSP sells like the Gameboy/DS, Jack.

Comment posted on 09/04/2011 at 23:47.
    • quinkill
      Since: Oct 2010

It’s a PR stunt! get over it.

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 11:06.
  4. a inferior race
    I'm special

My view of the DS experience is that it’s better than my PSP experience.

I can’t comment about the Wii as I don’t own one or pay much attention to it.

However, if it weren’t for Halo and L4D then I don’t have any exclusives (console) that I would play on my 360. In contrast though I find most exclusives for me on the PS3 have a great single player but I just don’t seem to enjoy the multiplayer aspects as much and as such I just don’t play them for as long.

Comment posted on 09/04/2011 at 23:52.
  5. PoorPaddy89

Leave the smack-talk to Kevin Butler, Jackie-boy.

Comment posted on 09/04/2011 at 23:55.
  6. scavenga

I want to say that he’s well out of order.

…or do I..?

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:09.
  7. teflon
    Community Team

He’s been compromised! Anonymous dug up some dirt, and are now getting him to say dumb things!!

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:18.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

Best comment, and this might actually explain it.
      Made me laugh, anyways. :D

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:18.
  8. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

I don’t like this at all.
    I hate it when certain mouthy Microsoft execs start spouting crap, and now I find out it wasn’t just my inner fanboy responding, because I hate this too.
    I prefer nintendo’s stance: shutting up and getting on with the job.
    I do actually agree with his sentiments (up until the ‘gameboy’ paragraph anyway), but he is the face of a company, and surely cannot be allowed to act this unprofessional.
    As for gameboy comments? I’m 20, self-respecting, and still love my gameboy advance. I never got around to buying a DS (too many consoles to spend money on games for- (PSP, PS3, GBA, PS2, PC, Smart Phone), so I still get my pokemon fix on my gba (and emulators too, but it’s just not the same).
    And I like it.

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:18.
  9. Gamoc

Wait a second…

Xbox 360 doesn’t even have Steam!

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:21.
    • YOURMUMANDME
      Since: Oct 2008

Ha ha haaa !

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:22.
    • BrainDiver
      Since: Feb 2011

Nicely done there :)

Comment posted on 11/04/2011 at 03:36.
  10. YOURMUMANDME
    Since: Oct 2008

Is this a contributing factor into Sony’s underwhelming impact on the market ? ….Yes, I’m just gonna say that, it is. Especially regarding the handheld market, don’t target an audience that comprises mainly around Gameboy users and then slag them off. That’s PR marketing gone absolutely *exploitive deleted* nuts !

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 00:21.
    • novamegalith
      Since: Oct 2009

r u serious? “Sony’s underwhelming impact.” they (SONY’S PS3) just outsold the xbox, a system that came out a year b4 it and as 4 the wii you know a system is LAME when it is used in nursing homes and hospitals and the DS is a bit childish, like a kid’s first PDA device with a stylist …………….pause looks to the left… boy please.

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 06:37.
      • Watchful
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Oct 2008

The PS3 has not outsold the 360 according to any sales data I have seen.

One headline-seeking group of analysts has recently reported that based on their estimates there are more active (in use) PS3s than 360s, but that is a world away from an actual sales lead.

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 10:26.
      • online4ntagonist

I think Google translate needs an update.

Comment posted on 10/04/2011 at 12:36.