Sony Announces "PSP Engine" For PS3

Remakes a go-go.

You’ll remember news that Sony are planning to upscale and upgrade PSP games for the PS3 – well, that technology now has a name: PSP Engine.

The engine was announced by Sony’s Kentaro Suzuki at the GTMF (Game Tools and Middleware Forum) in Tokyo, and as such PSP Engine acts as middleware between the PS3 and a PSP game, offering the following features:

• High resolution rendering
  • Dual Analog control
  • 3DTV output
  • Ad-hoc Party functionality
  • Expansions to the PSP’s main memory and graphics memory
  • Unified save data

It sounds like an emulator of sorts to be honest, but could be great, and hopefully we’ll see a few high profile PSP games on the way now.

There’s no mention of Trophy support.

Source: AndriaSang, via Famitsu.

1. SpikeyMikey23

Bit sceptical of this. I dont think these games are going to look good on everybody’s massive flat screen tvs ;)

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:14.
    • SpikeyMikey23

and that’s despite High resoulution rendering

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:14.
    • 3shirts

I agree. You can stick a flag in a turd, doesn’t make it a sandcastle

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:17.
      • MuggleMind

That isn’t a sandcastle? Damn. I’ve been doing it wrong at the beach all these years!

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:37.
      • Paranoimia

But it’s a lot funnier when someone tries to kick it over. :-)

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 11:47.
      • Smallville2106
        Since: Feb 2011

Brilliant lmao

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 13:51.
    • hazelam

they wont look as good as a proper ps3 title, but i’d put up with that, gladly, for the ability to play my psp games on the tv with a proper pad, with a decent analog stick.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:20.
      • Facelord
        Since: Jun 2012

Ugh, dude, you should change your avatar. I’m getting PTSD off that filth. >:<

Comment posted on 05/07/2012 at 09:37.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

I remember doing the TV out thing with my ps3 when I first got it. I was shocked at how bad it looked all blown up and stretched out on the telly, and I’ve only got 32″. Imagine someone playing a PSP game on a 50″ job? To be honest, if they don’t come with trophy support, I don’t see the point in rebuying them.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:33.
    • teflon
      Community Team

They’ll look nearly as good as the PS2 games being brought over. As long as stuff ends up 1080p, I’ll be happy enough.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 10:45.
  2. Zephyre

Be nice to play through GTA Chinatown Wars again without having to squint at the PSP screen

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:56.
    • bajere

i can finally place peace walker! the small screen is why i didnt buy it

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 13:58.
  3. Death_In_Flamez
    Since: Feb 2011

I’d imagine there’d be a maximum resolution for the stuff I assume….saying this if I can play Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron online, then I’m not complaining :D

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 08:58.
  4. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

Interesting but you can here people say ‘that’s ok but where’s the ps2 emulator then?’

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:01.
    • SpikeyMikey23

-vvv- on que

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:06.
      • tonycawley
        Pint! Pint!

Spanish?

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:22.
      • SpikeyMikey23

:P

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:30.
  5. jayjay119
    Since: Apr 2010

So they can emulate the PSP engine but not the PS2 one, opting instead for HD rereleased. I’ve never seen such a blatant cash in.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:02.
    • freezebug2

Probably because a PS2 engine would play straight ports that don’t support HD or trophies and decided that the “re-mastered HD trilogies/collections” would be more popular.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:37.
      • hazelam

and the fact it means we have to buy the games again has nothing to do with it? o_O

Comment posted on 01/07/2011 at 08:02.
    • cam the man

My PS3 is PS2 compatible but I haven’t played a PS2 title for years.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 11:50.
      • jayjay119
        Since: Apr 2010

@Cam the man, the last time I player a PS2 game was over Easter when I replayed Silent Hill 4 and Origins.

@Freezebug, except the only collections being released in HD are the ones I still have in SD, MGS, POP, TR, Silent Hill. I’m not much of a graphics whore so it would be more of an appeal to me to have an emulator which this proves they could probably do, but don’t want to as that would lose money form the many HD ports they can pump out.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 12:08.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

still good for gamers.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 14:50.
  6. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

I personally would rather Sony used it’s resources on new games, I’m a huge Sony fan and have played a lot of the so-called “big” titles before (that are likely to get re-release). People could probably pick up a second hand PSP and the same games for cheaper than they will be on the PSP Store. Especially as the PSP prices drop the closer we get to PSVita, and with the UMD dying. I can’t imagine the difference on PS3 is going to be that good. Shouldn’t we be moving forward, not re-living the past? Perhaps the decision maker is a Liverpool fan! :)

Maybe I’m just annoyed that a bought a PSP to buy particular games that are now going to be playable on the PS3 – money wasted.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:10.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

Or maybe he’s an Arsenal fan?

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:23.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Either way, I guess that’s why there’s no Trophy support :)

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 11:42.
  7. Bilbo_bobbins

not really sure this would be used would it? even for psp owners?

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 09:48.
  8. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

It sounds like an easy tool for developers to use when porting their games from the PSP to the PS3. Although we won’t get HD PSP games on the PS3 due to the engine and that it would take too long for them to build a new engine just for a port. I am interested in what the proccess involes. Do they just do a copy and paste job of the PSP version’s code and edit it in the PSP engine?

I hope that we will see FF7:Crisis Core on the PS3 someday as that is one of the few PSP games i would get a PSP for if i had the money.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 10:09.
    • BrainDiver
      Since: Feb 2011

lol the only reason I bought a PSP was to play that. Literally that was the only game I ever had for it. I hope you do play it one day, it’s pretty damned decent ;) swear I almost cried at the end though.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 10:19.
      • SpikeyMikey23

Second that! It is a great action game.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 11:03.
  9. Reality Check
    Banned
    Since: May 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 10:56.
  10. TheMekon
    Since: Jun 2011

Ahhh, good old Sony, yet again bringing us the goods no-one really asked for.

I’m a PSP owner, love the machine, bought the games, so not really looking to buy them again any time soon.

How about putting some resources into bringing some new instalments of G-Police or Colony Wars on PS3 Sony? You know, now the hardware could do something really fantastic with them, the potential from online play aspect alone is a mouth watering prospect.

Overboard also oughta get HD
    make over and appear on PSN.

If your going to raid the cupboard of past games, look on a few different shelves 1st please Sony.

Comment posted on 30/06/2011 at 10:57.