Opinion

LIMBO: A Year Later And Still Sublime On PS3

Still got the magic.

It’s almost a year to the day that I first reviewed LIMBO – at that time it was an Xbox 360 exclusive and there were no signs that it would appear on any other platforms – yet here we are, talking about the all new released-today PlayStation 3 version after a brief playtest by the team overnight.

LIMBO's identical to the Xbox Live version, which is good news for PS3 only gamers but there's no reason to pick this up again for everyone else.
The first thing that hits you is that the game’s identical to the Xbox 360 – this is obviously great news for those of you without a 360 because it means you’re not missing out on anything.

But for everyone that already splashed out on the game last year there’s little reason to purchase this version as well apart from whispers of a new ‘section’ to play through – at the time of writing this blog we don’t know how big that section is.

However, if you’re looking to grab some Trophies which are, as before, hidden away off the beaten track so as not to spoil the game’s moody, monochrome visage then there’s always that.

But don’t let that put you off – as we said last year LIMBO is one of the best games ever to hit this current generation of consoles, the simple controls (move, jump and interact) mean that anyone can play but the progressive difficulty level and particuraly gruesome death scenes mean that it’s certainly not for kids.

The graphics are a delight, though – deeply stylised with a lovely noise filter but sporting some brilliant animation and a real sense of dread – not bad with just black and white.  And the audio too, ambient but oppressive, is worthy of note.

The hype around this game last year was palpable, it was one of those games that everyone was talking about and everyone I knew had to play – there’s stacks to discuss, loads of subtle contexts to pick up on and an ending that had me thinking for weeks to come.

And sure, the first half is better than the last, but this is still a must-have.

LIMBO’s released on PlayStation 3 today.

1. Hoopiness
    Since: Sep 2009

Definitely buying this at some point, looks great. Whether it’s now or later depends on the price.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 12:44.
  2. Toby M [Dexter17]

It’s been a while since I’ve bought something on the store, but I’ll certainly be grabbing this. Any word yet on potential discounts for Playstation Plus members?

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 12:47.
  3. upselo

The devs seem weirdly intent on killing me with traps I can’t possibly be expected to avoid on first try.
    Like an annoying running joke on how clever they are and how stupid I am.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 12:47.
    • R4U Eldave0
      andUandU

I think the devs initially summarised their game as “trial by death”

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 13:28.
  4. mugsybalone

Really looking forward to trying this, if just to find out what hidden depths there are to this game that I’m not seeing in these aricles. It just looks like a black and white platformer, but apparently it’s up like the second coming of gamesJesus. I’ve never been so excited about being proven wrong!

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 12:51.
    • moshi

Gamesjesus is now my favourite word.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 13:18.
      • mugsybalone

I’m glad. gamesJesus be with you, my son.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 14:14.
      • Kovacs

And also with you.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 14:45.
      • mugsybalone

I’d like to think there’s a little gamesJesus in everyone.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 15:18.
  5. gazo69

Just tried the demo, it’s beautiful!

My PSN wallet is on standby =)

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 13:16.
  6. BAZ1307
    Since: Sep 2009

Downloaded the Demo from the American Store last night and it’s definitely something special. I’m going to click the Buy button on this as soon as I see it on the Store.

Can’t believe I missed out on this on the 360 last year, I didn’t even think it looked good. That all changes once you play the game for yourself though. :)

Also, I must add, this game is made for using headphones! Adds a great deal of immersion to the game. :O

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 13:25.
  7. R4U Eldave0
    andUandU

One of the best games I’ve played (especially off the XBL marketplace). Just don’t expect to get more than about 6 hours entertainment from it unless you are a trophy collector :)

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 13:26.
    • Rocket_345

6 hours is more than most retail games atm so i’d say it’s good value for money (unless it releases at £40 then maybe not)

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 14:14.
      • Kovacs

What games are you playing that you can complete in 6 hours?

I’m not saying there are some short games out there, but to insinuate that “most” retail games are 6 hours in length is just madness. MADNESS! *kicks dude down well*

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 15:33.
  8. justinjh
    Since: Mar 2009

Limbo demo and full game is available in the UK store now – £9.99 or (£7.99 for PS+)

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 15:15.
  9. Kovacs

From the Official PS blog:

“… and a whole new section of gameplay for you to enjoy.”

So there does appear to be new PS3 exclusive contenet.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 15:32.
  10. ruinereraser

Looks great, too bad it’s overpriced (should be max. 6.99GBP, but it’s the problem of many new PSN games nowadays). I’ll decide after the trial.

Comment posted on 20/07/2011 at 16:37.