You

WeView Verdict: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Some brotherly love in our verdict.

It seems there’s quite a few of you who enjoy stabbing people in Renaissance Italy. There wasn’t a single review this week that rated the game below Rent It. Of course, that’s getting ahead of ourselves a little bit. As is our tradition now, let’s get things off to a start with some of your opinions of the game.

As some of you may have noticed, I wasn’t the one who started last week’s thread in the forums, sadly it seems I’m an idiot. Instead, the very kind kjkg went and got things off to a start for me. However, whilst they were on the ball when it comes to posting in the forums, kjkg just couldn’t get a grip on the game they were posting about.

AC: Brotherhood was a strange title for me. The story is so moreish yet I usually don’t want to continue it for the sake of making it last. The game is great but at the same time, horribly repetitive. It caused/causes me mass confusion as I just don’t know what to think about it.

I’d disagree that the game is that repetitive, there’s just so much to do on the map that I always found myself doing something new in between finishing off the storyline missions. Of course, I suppose that depends on your playing style and I can see how it could get repetitive if you didn’t make the choice to vary things for yourself.

Whilst I may not agree entirely with kjkg I think I’ve found a kindred spirit in XisTG. I’m not quite in agreement with their opinions on the story, but when it comes exploration… well you’ll see.

Sure, killing is fun and the story is not uninteresting, but believe me, it’s the exploring that will give you the most satisfaction. You may even find yourself, wherever you live, looking at a balcony while you smoke a cigarette and thinking “I could climb from there to the roof”. But don’t.

That is pretty much exactly what happens to me after a few hours with Assassin’s Creed. I often find myself looking at rooftops longingly, or keeping an eye out for a convenient stack of boxes. So far, I’ve managed to resist the temptation though.

The big change for me from the second game in the series into Brotherhood was the addition of the Brotherhood itself, they’re just so much fun to play with. Again it seems I’m not alone in my opinion on this, MrSpeedyGonzales chipped in on exactly that issue.

The newest addition to the singleplayer is the Assassins Brotherhood. It’s a great new addition and one I was very sceptical about. However, by the end of the game I wanted more. I wanted the assassins to be more useful, because of how much fun the new combat system is I never actually used the assassins much. I also would like to see the missions that the assassins go on to be more related to the plot of the game.

Finally, I think we’ve been a bit too positive this week. No game is perfect, and luckily Baxteros popped in to bring to light some of the game’s flaws.

As the series evolves there seems to be less and less need for stealth, admittedly a few missions require it or they’re an instant fail if detected but it seems you go about your Assassin’s business quite blazenly – those robes adorned with knives and a crossbow on Ezio’s back would fool no one, he’s clearly Assassino. It now seems easier than ever to evade the enemies whilst being chased, as you usually just keep running with no real need to find a hiding spot as you had to in the first AC.

So with your opinions nicely covered let’s take a look at the verdict. Twelve of you shared your opinions with us this week, although as I said there wasn’t a single Avoid It this week. However, you seemed unable to reach an overall verdict with six of you giving the game a rating of Rent It and six giving it a Buy It.

Before you vanish, remember we’ve got a new WeView game tomorrow. If there’s anything you’d particularly like to see us cover then leave a comment letting us know.

1. BIGAL-1992
    Since: Jan 2009

Bulletstorm. It didn’t sell well, but it’d be interesting to see what people on TSA think of it.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 13:34.
  2. anthro
    Since: Apr 2011

A WeView of Demons Souls would be interesting (if it’s not already been done) in light of Dark Souls being just around the corner.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 13:45.
    • blackredyellow
      Since: Mar 2009

Agreed!

Comment posted on 28/07/2011 at 13:42.
  3. SavageOranges
    Since: Aug 2010

I think Burnout Paradise would be a good one, considering it was so different to the others of re series.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 13:51.
  4. R4U Eldave0
    andUandU

This weview has convinced me to go out and buy Brotherhood :) Never played an AC game before but this one has been on sale for a while so seems a good time to pick it up.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 13:54.
    • Foxhound
      Is a smart cookie.

Go for 2. Thats better imo…

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:18.
      • R4U Eldave0
        andUandU

And cheaper. I like your thinking :D

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:24.
      • Forrest_01

Although the combat is better & a few things are tweaked for the better in brotherhood, i have to agree & say that i found the overall experience of AC2 better.

Best bet – Start with AC2 (which is the start of Ezio’s story anyway) & then if you really like it move onto brotherhood.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:26.
      • R4U Eldave0
        andUandU

Ok, sounds like a plan. Anyone know of anywhere I can get the collectors edition? The Ezio figurine looks ace :)

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:41.
  5. Origami Killer

Im surprised you didnt show any comments relating to the multiplayer :/ anyways i still think its a buy it, for the story alone. Wouldn’t mind a WeView on LBP2, Demons Souls or even Dead Space 2

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 13:58.
  6. Crazy_Del

Would like a WeVeiew on all of these – Shadows of the Damned, Fear 3, Alice Madness
    Getting Fear 3 anyway but would like to know these 2 before I purchase!
    Thanks
    Also Brotherhodd brilliant game and tons of fun in multiplayer aspect =D

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:24.
  7. stingraz

I’ve always seen Brotherhood as an Assassin’s Creed 2.5 really.
    The addition of multiplayer tempted me to part with my cash, especially after I was impressed with the beta..
    .. but. I just couldn’t put myself through what would no doubt be hours more of the same I went through in (AC) 2 (story-wise). The ‘explore’ part of the game doesn’t hold up for me, after spending what seemed like forever roaming around gathering feathers. (not roaming aimlessly mind ;) ).

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:25.
    • XisTG

never got the platinum on AC2 because of those dammed feathers. I’m missing one. Just one. But I couldn’t make myself run through all feather spots to try and find the one I’m missing.
      In Brotherhood I didn’t even bother.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:55.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

The great addition to Brotherhood was the maps you could buy though, so you could highlight all the collectibles on the main map. Took all the pain out of collecting!

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 19:18.
  8. Forrest_01

Depends on what the rules of WeView is i guess – I would personally like to see what people thought of the first Bioshock & then what people then thought of the 2nd one.

If we are looking at newer titles than that though, then i would be interested to see what people generally think of Motorstorm Apocalypse or maybe even something like Singularity (which i believe received a playback review, but not a WeView).

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:32.
    • R4U Eldave0
      andUandU

Would like to know what people thought of Motorstorm Apocalypse. I ended up buying it this weekend for 18quid. My wife has been watching a lot of speedway recently so I’ve been in the mood to play an offroad racer heh.

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:58.
  9. XisTG

The brotherhood… I think I only called them into a battle once or twice; never really felt the need to rely on nothing but my hidden blades :)
    And I’m glad I’m not the only one looking at reality differently after playing it ;)
    BTW, the multiplayer part of the game wasn’t brought up on purpose?

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 14:51.
  10. tom_lord
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Apr 2009

Great read as per, I wouldn’t mind seeing Shadows of the Damned getting a WeView (TM)

Comment posted on 25/07/2011 at 15:02.