PS3 Firmware 3.70 Inbound

More features for PS+ members and all.

Eric Lempel is back with news on the features coming soon with the latest firmware. It will finally bring in auto-trophy sync but only if you’re a plus member. We’re also told that this isn’t the complete feature list, I’m sure we’ll have that as soon as possible.

PS+ Exclusive

• “Automatic Download” will be renamed “Automatic Update”
  • Automatic Upload of save files (you’ll have to select which saves to auto-upload) by:
    • Selecting from current save files,
    • New games will ask if you want to auto-upload upon save
  • Automatic Trophy Syncing

Everyone

• PS Store Recommendations – Send message recommendations to friends (who will be able to click a link within the message to jump to the recommendation).
  • New XMB Category “TV/Video” will house all streaming applications. (Brings the US in line with the European XMB layout)
  • 3D Support for Java-based special features on Blu-ray 3D
  • DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D
  • 3D Photos in .MPO format can be viewable in 3D on the XMB and the Photo Gallery App.

The update will be available soon, along with additional details after it goes live.

There will also be a minor PSP update (version 6.60) launching soon.

1. Smallville2106
    Since: Feb 2011

The automatic trophy syncing is a sync at the time the ps3 turns on for downloads etc so not that great really as just before I ever turn off my PS3 I synch them anyway.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 02:39.
    • Smallville2106
      Since: Feb 2011

Automatic upload of save files is a major plus though!

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 02:40.
      • Totodile
        Since: Aug 2011

I agree, with Smallville2106, I really wanted Auto-Syncing, even though it’s quite a short process, but still, it’s all the better.

Though, I hate to echo the request once more, but when are we getting CROSS-GAME Chatting! >;O

Comment posted on 11/08/2011 at 01:27.
      • Totodile
        Since: Aug 2011

woops, I mean, I agree with you*

Comment posted on 11/08/2011 at 01:28.
  2. tactical20

What is the benefit in auto trophy syncing exactly? Is it just that when I select my trophy collection, I won’t have to wait 10-20 seconds before it opens?

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 02:42.
    • Awayze
      Since: Jul 2010

You don’t have to wait minutes for the syncing bar to get to 100%.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 04:29.
      • tactical20

??? Minutes? It takes seconds!

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 15:46.
  3. StevenHibs
    Since: Oct 2009

As soon as you earn the trophy during the game, it should automatically sync then!

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 02:50.
    • TheJaguar
      Since: Jun 2011

Not really…. It syncs them when you are automatically downloading patches and updates etc.
      So good but not good enough.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 02:54.
  4. Spence1115

The trophy syncing, even if done at the automatic download time, is an improvement, and the system clearly wasn’t structured for automatic trophy syncing when you earn a trophy, so I don’t expect it to ever be like that.

The automatic save uploading is good as well. Fine with you having to select, makes sense as I don’t want EVERYTHING uploaded. Christ, I’d run out of room with Fallout saves.

If TV/Video is now one category for streaming, does that mean one category for iPlayer, 4oD, Lovefilm, media server etc, and then still the existing Video category for DVDs, Blurays, USB/hard drive videos? Because if so it’ll seem strange having Video and then TV/Video…

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 03:02.
  5. e8
    Since: Jul 2010

Although all features arnt listed, i’m speculating the main ones are, if so i’m quite underwhelmed( Slightly above a minor update.) PS Store Recommendations sounds a bit lame, isn’t that what the star rating in store is for(never take a reviews place) & saving me pressing x to sync lol. Still i guess they arnt taking features away, but i wouldn’t miss new p+ features if i cancelled. Auto upload is cool i guess.
    (xgc, new browser eg chrome, faster loading of store/xmb, avatar box given more info/text limit increase or bubble reduction & and trophies given some more significance/reward & easier to distinguish which game they’re from/id card. Auto t.sync for all.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 03:08.
    • e8
      Since: Jul 2010

& original high res xmb font broght back.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 03:12.
      • Spence1115

Cross game chat – Surely by now people have accepted its not happening. Not that I get the fuss. If I’m playing a game online, I don’t wanna chat with someone playing another game, its distracting. And if I’m playing single player, then it’s still gonna distract me, but if I want it that bad, I have a computer/laptop/smartphone nearby for Skype/phone call. Personally I would never end up using it.

New browser – Would be nice, but I doubt we’ll see a new browser on the PS3.

Faster loading of store/XMB – Yeah, the store is a bit slow, especially with the whole “oh, you’ve added something to the basket. Hold on a minute… Almost got it… Couple more seconds… right, anything else?” slow down. And the XMB takes a while ingame to load, but its the issue of it being an afterthought rather than designed into the console from the start.

Avatar Box – I agree with longer text limits, as you can barely fit a couple of words in there right now.

Personally, the main thing I would like to see would be to organise the previously downloaded list better. I’ve lost my hard drive contents more than once, along with replacing PS3s. In which case, trying to find all my DLC, especially the hundreds of Rock Band songs on there, is incredibly difficult, especially as it has a limit on background downloads.

As an improvement, I’d like to see the download list enabling you to filter by game, by type of content (I don’t need to see demos from 2007 on there, I’ve decided by now that no, I don’t wish to buy The Darkness), and to be able to select a lot more things to download at once, or even just a check box on the list to show that it’s currently downloaded and installed or not.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 03:23.
  6. e8
    Since: Jul 2010

*Ingame custom music for all suitable games(get devs onboard.)
    *Limit of friend list increased significantly.
    *Some games which state 1080p on the box, require you to untick 720p & 1080i in order to get 1080p(eg. d.age, gta & mgs4,) fix that. *ID card: We know bronze is 1point, silver 2, gold is 6 & plat is 12. We have a %bar telling us how long until next lvl, but points compared to % gives you no bearing. Above %bar, we need eg. 150/200points, so we can gauge what we need.
    *1,2,6,12 next to respective trophies wouldn’t do any harm.

Yes auto sync will be cool if executed well, but should be for all.(that’s why i laughed.)

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 03:53.
    • e8
      Since: Jul 2010

dammit…
      Clear notification box(possibly smaller,) so when your playing a game, the graphics in the corner arnt hidden.
      Ability to del games from trophy list. I have games on there i traded after one day, turok, godfather & prototype spring to mind.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 04:02.
  7. Flash

Automatic trophy syncing OMGBBQZ! :D

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 04:45.
  8. MrBilly
    Since: Jan 2009

REALLY REALLY hoping for one day the ability to copy multiple game saves at once.

you can already do it with photo’s and music etc and would save me a hell of a lot of time when backing game saves up to a usb considering i’m not a ps+ member as of yet so don’t have the cloud option..

Maybe it’s done to entice users to sign up for ps+ but surly this isn’t asking too much.. i hope

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 05:01.
  9. Sam
    Since: Mar 2010

Well at least it is a positive step in the right direction for sony and all those with a PS3, nice to see the PSP still gets a bit of TLC as well.

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 06:25.
  10. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Nice :-)

Comment posted on 10/08/2011 at 07:04.