PS3 Price Drop Won't Impact Vita's Value

Cheap at twice the price.

According to one of our favourite kinds of videogames celebrities – the analyst – Sony shouldn’t worry too much that their newly discounted PS3 will make people think the Vita isn’t worth $249.

Some people have raised the point that a handheld console, priced at the same figure as a home console with all the media capabilities included, might seem like it’s a little bit expensive. It seems like a valid concern to me, at least for the vast majority of the market who, let’s be honest, don’t check specification sheets and watch countless videos or read a multitude of specialist press about videogame hardware.

Price is at least one of the largest contributing factors for many consumers and there might be a psychological barrier that makes them think twice about a Vita when they could get a PS3 for the same money.

Perhaps I’m wrong though, Michael Pachter thinks I’m worrying about nothing.

I’m not sure that they are trying to sell both to the same person as alternatives to one another. People who want both will buy both. People with neither are more likely to buy a PS3, people with a console already might be more likely to buy Vita… The market for Vita is pretty small, given that it’s an expensive dedicated handheld with primarily hardcore games.

Likewise, in the series of responses given to IndustryGamers, Jesse Divnich of EEDAR said that the handhelds were more comparable to smartphones and tablets.

I don’t believe the PlayStation 3 price drop will impact the perceived value of the $249 Vita. With the growth of the tablet and smartphone market, I believe consumers are more likely to compare the $249 Vita to a $499 iPad tablet than a PlayStation 3

With Nintendo’s success upon launching the DS at a higher price point than its then-current home console, the Gamecube, perhaps they’ve got a point. Either way, I’m planning a sneaky pre-order as soon as I find a decent deal with a retailer I trust. What about you?

Source: IndustryGamers

1. Smallville2106
    Since: Feb 2011

Pretty sure people will not compare it to the iPad. I think that it being more expensive than a PS3 will matter to the more casual gamer. To people like us that game quite a bit and frequent gaming websites then I don’t think it is a problem.
    The big problem with this, is that as said above, this is not a big market. This is the reason I think that 3rd party support will dry up not that far in the future. The software will just not sell by the numbers and volumes that the devs/publishers want as the Vita install base will not be big enough.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 01:53.
    • jayjay119
      Since: Apr 2010

I agree about not comparing this to the ipad, but (and I really cannot believe these words are about to escape my mouth/fingers without some sarcastic undertone) like Pachter said, the Vita isn’t for the casual market in its focus, it’s for the hardcore market and to be honest it shows. Many people who are excited about Vita are clued up on it and do not care about the price and will happily pay. While many who do not want it, do not want it because you can get a PS360DS (too much compounding?) for less. As with everything, those who want it will buy it regardless of price. It’s just reaching that key audience.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 03:23.
  2. MayContainEvil
    Since: Feb 2011

That’s a good point – the Vita being more comparable with an iPad than the PS3. Personally, in that comparison I would much prefer the Vita, I’ve never been a fan of tablets.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 01:55.
    • Samiro05

Exactly the same start to what I was going to say except I want to point out the comparison to the Gamecube/DS sales. I think that in a year’s time the PS Vita will be golden if it has a better holiday line up than it’s launch line up. Yes, this is a big ask considering the massive games that it’s launching with, but if Sony give it a super holiday line up it’s going to sell like mad. [oh and if they market it as, you know, actually being available to buy]

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 02:25.
  3. Gaztee
    Since: Mar 2009

I for one think the PSV is going to really struggle. As I’ve said before, just make 1 SKU to keep manfacturing costs down & as not to confuse the mums/dads not clued up! I’m not willing to pay £280 for a handheld, & I’m sure a lot of people will see a 3DS for half that price & pick that instead! If the games are priced anywhere near the £50 we have seen coming out of Japan, that will be the nail in it’s coffin! Come on Sony prove me wrong ;0)

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 04:11.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

You’re right about the price, but I’m pretty sure it will drop sharply like the 3DS, which can only be a good thing for us cheapo’s :) Nice to see the ‘PSV’ thing is catching on!

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 05:20.
  4. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

price not bothering me will still be getting one.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 04:40.
    • Crazy_Del

I’m in the same boat as skibadee, the price doesn’t bother me at all!

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 11:46.
    • cam the man

Same here, the more info I see about it the more I think it’s worth the price tag.
      Already pre-ordered.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 12:02.
    • GTRsannin
      Since: Nov 2010

Same here i think it’s well worth the price

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 16:31.
  5. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Well, I’m not surprised. Sony seem to be sticking to their price.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 07:24.
  6. commuterzombie

They’ll stick with the price at launch, earn some money from the early adopters and then drop the price a bit 3-6 months down the line to pull in some more people.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 09:23.
  7. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

When they first announced the price, everybody loved it.
    Just because Nintendo dropped their price, now everybody hates the Vita’s price? It’s still the same console with the same price most people thought was a fair and good figure.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 13:32.
  8. job
    Since: Jun 2010

even at 280 its well priced for us early addopters.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 15:27.
  9. Gadbury
    Since: Jan 2009

“The market for Vita is pretty small” ? I disagree Mr. Pachter. I think the Vita will be a big success; there seems to be plenty of impressed and interested people. Sony looks to have applied a few hard-learned lessons, and I can’t think of anything much that goes against the Vita.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 15:36.
  10. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

Will the vita be able to perform as good as an ipad or better? Does the vita have a decent browser?

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 20:58.
    • scotty34
      Since: Apr 2011

In some respects the psv cannot be compared with a tablet, i.e use of text docs which whilst psv may have (i dont know) the screen size would cause an issue and a tablet is more cross gaming/ business imo, where as psv is gaming/social. To top that, the games cant even come into the same category as psv is dedicated to quality games not like angry birds! If the psv has flash though that will at least put it above ios devices in the respects of web browsing.

Comment posted on 23/08/2011 at 22:34.