Sony Warn Of 90,000 User/Pass Hack Attempts

Very few compromised.

Sony has warned its users that it has detected a ‘massive’ amount of attempts to sign into user accounts, including the PSN. Of the 90,000 user accounts that were part of the attempt, 60,000 were PlayStation Network IDs.

“We want to let you know that we have detected attempts on Sony Entertainment Network, PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment (“Networks”) services to test a massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords against our network database,” said the statement.

The source of the list of usernames and passwords hasn’t yet been determined, but Sony say 0.1% of users have been affected.

Sony will work with any user that has had fraudulent transactions against their Sony account and say that anyone’s account that was compromised will have been locked out awaiting a password reset.

We remind all users to ensure all passwords are unique for each service and website you use.

1. Crazy_Del

Could explain a lot of Maintenance in the past weeks!!!
    Is it possible for someone that gameshares but 1 person locked him out and he will try to attemp many password?!?!?
    I hate hackers and gamesharing I get these messages alot from strangers asking me want to trade something I have Black Ops all maps all DLC…..

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:05.
    • shields_t
      Since: Oct 2008

I would assume each PSN ID would be safeguarded against that many attempts, sounds like an automated hack.

Thankfully I haven’t been badgered by anyone trying to sponge my purchased PSN content.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 09:48.
      • Origami Killer

I have had some offers from randomers, but i’ve reached my maximum user count on purpose with my school friends who I trust.

Im with Shields and his fisrst sentence

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:29.
    • shields_t
      Since: Oct 2008

Maybe it’s just because I don’t play a great deal online (or MW for that matter!) that I don’t get badgered like you guys.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 11:22.
  2. Burgess_101

well at least they warned us this time, but same ol’ same ol’ sadly

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:06.
    • Erroneus
      Wanted "Trophy Hunter" but was too late.

Not really. This is a brute-force login attack and not a hack of PSN.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 09:07.
      • Burgess_101

peoples login details may have been compromised thats what i meant…

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 16:13.
  3. Nauraph
    Since: Jan 2010

If I’m right, these hackers tried out passwords/username combinations which they obtained from another database.
    So not something Sony could do anything about, I suppose.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:17.
    • Nauraph
      Since: Jan 2010

It might say the exact same thing in the above post. But it wasn’t entirely clear to me*

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:18.
    • nofi
      One for all.

Looks that way, yes. Especially if it’s email address/password combos, rather than PSN/password combos.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:31.
  4. enroene
    Since: Nov 2010

When will this ever end

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:35.
    • Radboud
      Since: Nov 2008

This will never end. Sadly there are a bunch of people who just can’t live an honest life…

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:43.
      • KeRaSh

Fine, I’ll confess. I DID eat your snack last week… Better? :P

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:46.
  5. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

After your nagging TSA I dutifully made all my passwords different, I no longer live in fear and can blissfully flick the V to the hackers whenever stories like this pop up, haha!

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:45.
    • bacon_nuts
      Since: Mar 2011

I would agree with you, but there’s no way in hell I can remember that many passwords.. Important ones are different, but not nearly all.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 15:53.
  6. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Highlights really well why its important to have unique, difficult to crack passwords to each website service.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 08:57.
    • Severn2j

I think it also highlights that passwords are quickly becoming an outdated and insecure form of authentication and a replacement is needed..

Comment posted on 13/10/2011 at 11:13.
  7. Sympozium

Isn’t that a surprise

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 09:45.
  8. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

Hmm a while ago. Two forums I’m registered on did get hacked and they were both COD hacking websites ie how to edit the MW2 patch for challenge lobbies etc
    Between them I’d say they had 700,000 people registered whos emails n passwords were leaked on to the net. One site was mainly PS3 related with 600,000 registered people.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:00.
  9. Reality Check
    Banned
    Since: May 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:25.
    • DrNate86
      Since: Apr 2010

As someone who is blind I take offence to being labelled a fool.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:46.
      • KeRaSh

You’re not really blind, are you? Chatting away on a website dedicated to gaming, which is mainly a visual experience. :)

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:51.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

No not at all, made you think thogh

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 12:22.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

No not at all, made you think though!

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 12:23.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

Oops apologies for the double post. Foiled by my touch screen again!

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 12:24.
    • KeRaSh

What caused this blind and uncalled for rage against Microsoft?

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:49.
    • AG2297
      Community Manager

I’m getting really fed up of the MS comments Reality Check. If you don’t like them then fine but in this case keep it to yourself as the blatant fanboyism that you type (and calling people on this website muppets and fools) is really depressing to read and while it might not seem very severe a comment, the quantity of them is. I’ve given you countless warnings in the comments and sent you emails so really, no more chances on this one.

Anyway, back on topic (no need for lots of comments following this one) I reckon Sony will always announce these sort of attempts now just to make sure they let people know as early as possible.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:52.
      • Origami Killer

I’ve made this point clear on another one of his comments on the Resistance 3 patch.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 16:06.
    • BIGAL-1992
      Since: Jan 2009

Are you finished yet? If you are, you might realise that you’re one step away from getting kicked off this website. As ag said, everyone’s getting sick of your comments. Either keep them off the site or don’t post on here.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 10:57.
    • The Lone Steven
      Never heard of him.

Why do you feel the need to bring up MS in every comment? If you geuinily hate MS fine but stop ramming it down out throats. But calling members blind fools and muppets is not acceptable. I believe MS would tell everyone if they got hacked and i believe that us “muppets” would believe them. I mean a company would never go “we have been hacked….we just joking!”.

Please stop with the fanboy and sometimes insulting comments as it is unacceptable and you are one step away from getting the banhammer.(i think). That is all.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 11:08.
      • philbert8
        The Frankie Boyle Of TSA
        Since: Sep 2010

I’ll raise your crap by two turds and I’ll see you.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 11:09.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Only on TSA could something happen to an unknown 3rd party, effect Sony then result in Microsoft receiving a bashing.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 13:34.
  10. MayContainEvil
    Since: Feb 2011

I think I’m gonna change my password again tonight, just to be safe.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 11:08.
    • philbert8
      The Frankie Boyle Of TSA
      Since: Sep 2010

What if you’ve been hacked and they are just waiting for you to do that. Best to just throw everything you own away and lock yourself in the cellar.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 11:12.
      • DrNate86
        Since: Apr 2010

Probably for the best, with the impending Rapture. Two birds with one stone, and all that.

Comment posted on 12/10/2011 at 12:28.