Skyrim Tops UK Sales Charts

UK gamers: "we care not if your game is buggy."

Bethesda’s Skyrim has finally topped the UK sales charts, outing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 after a month.

The news comes after retailers heavily discounted the game, which is now routinely found for around £25-£30 in most high street stores, with lots of TV promotion thrown in.  Amazon is selling the game for a penny under £22.50.

The chart below shows week on week percentages, showing just how much difference a price drop can make.

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda) +145%
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision) -7%
3. Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) +67%
4. FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts) +24%
5. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft) -5%
6. Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts) +30%
7. Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call (Nintendo) +5%
8. Saints Row: The Third (THQ) -2%
9. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (SCE UK) +81%
10. Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) -1%

Links are to our reviews.

Uncharted’s back up there in the top ten, too, great news for one of the best games this year.

Via MCV.

1. R4U Eldave0
    andUandU

Glad to see Mario Kart7 is still in the top10. Aside from Double Dash its my favourite of the series :)

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 11:35.
    • Sympozium

omg.. would be amazing with four 3DS’s, Mario Kart on Gamecube was really fun.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 11:58.
      • R4U Eldave0
        andUandU

Thats where my mind went yesterday when playing MK7 via ‘remote play’. Being able to team up in one kart was an awesome idea and one I’m surprised they haven’t included since.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 12:32.
  2. MayContainEvil
    Since: Feb 2011

Good for Skyrim!

It really deserves it, great game and It’s still behaving perfectly for me.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 11:57.
  3. blackredyellow
    Since: Mar 2009

Deserves to be topping the charts I think, I’ve enjoyed so much more than I thought I would, and far more than I did MW3. I paid £5 for it when I traded in a copy of UC3. I’ve played for 80 hours. That’s roughly £0.06 an hour! Value for money I think! Especially when I expect to play it for another 80 hours +.

Deserves top spot.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 12:09.
  4. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

After 100 hours and 12mb my file become unplayable. Would crash anywhere between 1minute and an hour rendering it useless. Such a shame as when it worked well it was sublime and would be in my top 5. Knowing I can’t do what I want with my character now I’m not so sure.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 12:47.
  5. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

I wanted to get it for the 360……….but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 13:37.
    • R4U Eldave0
      andUandU

I wouldn’t bother. I’d be a lot warmer and a lot happier with a belly full of mead

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 15:46.
  6. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Amazing what giving your game away for half price does for sales figures?

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 15:50.
    • Grey_Ghost13

It’s mind boggling really. I don’t think I will ever buy a game unitl it’s been out for a few weeks and dropped in price! It’s crazy how so many games, even after only a short period are reduced. I hope the trend continues or could we just be seeing reductions due to the x-mas shopping period?

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 16:14.
      • R4U Eldave0
        andUandU

“I don’t think I will ever buy a game unitl it’s been out for a few weeks and dropped in price!”

This. I nearly always wait a few weeks/months before buying a game now. With the exception of a few big-name titles, it doesn’t take long for a game to drop from the rip-off price of £40 to a much more sensible £20 :)

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 16:53.
  7. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

I returned my copy of Skyrim to HMV due to the problems I’d heard. I’ll pick it up cheap now as so many people have said that’s it’s not so bad.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 16:30.
  8. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 16:48.
  9. rht992
    Since: Apr 2009

awesome game. really like the percentages by the way

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 18:25.
  10. bacon_nuts
    Since: Mar 2011

Brother got it for me for the 20th (my birthday), but then I started playing it today. So far totally amazing. Although it did freeze once before even giving me control of the player, and fail to download the update once. Other than that, fantastic so far.

Comment posted on 12/12/2011 at 23:10.