You

WeView: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Shouting about dragons.

So here’s the thing. For our first WeView of the year I thought I’d put the winner of our Overall Game of the Year award up for the community to take a look at. Sure, we have polls and the like coming soon to gather the views of our community but I thought this would be a nice way to get things rolling in 2012. However, there was a snag. Portal 2 won our award, and a very deserving win it was in my opinion. The problem? We already covered Portal 2, all the way back in May of last year. It’s old news now, it’s been done.

Therefore I had to come up with some sort of compromise. The obvious one was to pick the game that came second place in our Overall category. Upon looking this up I found it was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a perfect candidate. It’s been out for close to two months now, and although I know the world is absolutely huge hopefully you’ll have played enough to feel comfortable giving your verdict on it.

Skyrim isn’t a game I’ve spent any time with, or one I particular fancy investing time in. These kind of huge RPGs don’t really appeal to me, I mean I have no desire to play Fallout 3 either. Fortunately I’m not the only writer here at TSA, and Peter was more than willing to cast his critical eye over the game back in November. As you’d expect for a game that rated so highly in our awards, Peter was very positive about it rating it at 9/10 and having this to say:

The Elder Scrolls isn’t a series that will appeal to everyone but it certainly shouldn’t be too daunting for newcomers joining at this fifth instalment. The complexities can be easily learnt or even mostly ignored and, although they are what powers the fantastically diverse gameplay paths, what makes the game special is the world it inhabits. Skyrim is a busy, active place that feels naturally alive. It might be somewhat overstocked with murderous wolves but the sheer volume of things to do, people to meet and enemies to kill is simply quite amazing. Simply put, Skyrim – the game – is a wonderful experience because Skyrim – the land – is a wonderful place. I heartily recommend a few days off work or school so you can visit.

Now, with the bugs that have plagued the PS3 version of the game (as well as the issues that have cropped up in other versions) I’m sure some of you may have differing opinions. Perhaps some of you have managed to combat the bugs or see past them to find a good game. Maybe you couldn’t get past the bugs and they ruined the experience. Of course there’s the option that you didn’t get any bugs and didn’t like the game anyway. Whatever your thoughts on the game, now is the time to let us know.

If you feel like sharing, just drop a comment below. Remember, the aim is for short, snappy reviews but I won’t completely ignore longer ones. Once you’ve given your considered opinion it’s time to rate the game on the Buy It, Bargain Bin It, Rent It, Avoid It scale. If you want your review and verdict to appear in the verdict post on Monday make sure you have it in by Sunday afternoon, when I’ll start collating the various opinions on offer.

1. Mickey2010
    Since: Jan 2010

I think the whole scale of the game is HUGE and it’s pretty good but i was one of the unlucky few to start this game with lots of bugs from backwards dragons to freezing and at times it felt like it was lagging like i was online but through all of its glitches its still Awesome! i would say Bargain Bin it! but this is only my opinion as all my mates say ‘im the only guy in the world to have a bad word to say about Skyrim’

Comment posted on 03/01/2012 at 18:19.
  2. ghost5
    Since: Oct 2008

It’s biggest strength is also it’s biggest weakness. You set off to do mission A but along the way you randomly meet someone who needs help to get their castle back from bandits. You help them as you’ll probably never bump into this person again.
    So you start doing mission B and while inside the castle you learn that there is a powerful creature that lives nearby that guards valueable treasure.
    You complete mission B, think about killing the creature and getting the treasure but by now the sun has come up and you see smoke on the horizon so you go and investigate
    On your way you find a strange looking cave and before you know it 8 hours have passed, you’ve not completed your original mission and you now have another 5 to do.

Buy it… it’ll cost you more in rental fee’s

Comment posted on 03/01/2012 at 18:36.
  3. Armonster9000
    Since: Feb 2010

Skyrim is my GOTY
    For me, it’s not buggy at all. I’ve been playing it on the 360 and I have to say, the people who bought it on PS3 made a big mistake. If only we all knew Bethesda would screw you guys over like that. I almost bought it on PS3 but then I thought about Oblivions bugs.
    So far the game has been great, and PS3 owners are really missing out.

Comment posted on 03/01/2012 at 20:00.
  4. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

Absolutely brilliant game, bought it day one (coincidentally, my birthday, it was meant to be!) and proceeding to sink 101 hours into it over the next 3 weeks and platting it.
    It truly is one of the best RPG’s this gen, up there with Demons Souls.
    I’ve moved on until some worthy DLC has been released, but my god, what a game.
    Buy it.

Comment posted on 04/01/2012 at 09:28.
  5. hunterstryfe

Pros: Massive, Diverse, Something for all tastes, Brilliant Soundtrack, DRAGONS.
    Cons: Main Story lacklustre and short (my record is 2.5 hours), bugs and crashes can easily annoy, Anyone else creepes out by npcs constantly looking at you whilst talking to another npc?

Buy It, Rent It is my verdict

Comment posted on 04/01/2012 at 10:42.
  6. Mundham
    Since: Feb 2011

@hunterstryfe – Rent a game with 100+ hours of gameplay? Really?

I have a PS3 and have suffered little after 60 hours of ‘Rimming. A flying mammoth (which landed on another mammoth and walked off it’s back) and a couple of freezes and that’s about it. Turning off autosave helped no end.

Buy it faster than a fletched missile to the patella.

Comment posted on 04/01/2012 at 11:26.
  7. yiddo
    Since: Jun 2010

Played over 140 hours of this badboy. Close to the platinum as well. I love everything about it. The perfectly crafted and detailed towns and environments, the brilliant atmosphere, the combat, the stories/questlines and the amazing amount of content. One of my GOTY candidates.

Buy it. Renting a game with this much content is an injustice.

I also eagerly await DLC for this, bring it on!

Comment posted on 04/01/2012 at 13:05.
  8. blackredyellow
    Since: Mar 2009

Over 100 hours in and I still have a great deal to do, and most importantly I’m still really enjoying it.

It is an endless, enjoyable battle with a seemingly uncompleteable depth.

Buy it. Twice.

Comment posted on 04/01/2012 at 21:50.
  9. SH Number 7
    Since: May 2011

Love the game, i have put in probably over 300Hrs now (last i checked i was on 250) over 4 different characters. I first character glitched in Marakoth, and i could never go back there with out the guards hassling me in a glitched conversation, but that didn’t ruin the game for me just started a new character, and explored places i hadn’t been. 9/10 buy it.

Comment posted on 05/01/2012 at 12:41.
  10. online4ntagonist

short and snappy? How’s this:

230 hours in, 230 hours to go

Comment posted on 05/01/2012 at 15:53.