Feature

What We Played #37

The one with industrial silicone-based humour.

As you will hopefully have read we had a few people visit the Vita Rooms in Glasgow on Monday. One of those was Blair who came away suitably impressed with the Vita itself and particularly looking forward to LittleBigPlanet, Rayman Origins and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

When not counting the days until the Vita’s European release next month he’s been continuing to indulge his need to play Zelda. At least until the discovery of the “extremely addictive” Doodle God on his iPhone. Apparently it’s nothing like Doodle Jump, though “you combine elements to create more and it’s really fun” was all I could get out of him before I lost out to the game in the contest for his attention.

Kris made a valiant attempt to play some games on his console, at least until he discovered Mythbusters on Netflix and succumbed to watching them blow stuff up. Only FIFA managed to get a look in when a quick thirty minute session with friends ended up stretching to five hours.

It seems that Toby wasn’t one of those friends, although he too has been playing only FIFA this week; managing to play a few games at the weekend with fellow TSAer Roynaldo. The games were good fun apparently and he’s looking forward to a rematch but didn’t let on who won. Can you shed any light on the results Roy?

The streets of Steelport are still Aran’s primary digital home as he strives to finish the last few challenges in Saints Row: The Third. “It’s a bit awkward trying to do the streaking challenge when the rest of the family is in the room”, he sheepishly admits. Other than that it looks like the UFC Undisputed 3 demo may have succeeded in its marketing aims, as he’s come away impressed with the improved controls, accessibility, new gameplay mechanics, “superb” graphics and a Pride mode that looks worth exploring.

Tuffcub thinks EA made a few boobs in their game featuring these two fine young ladies. Let's hope theirs weren't made by PIP.
Tuffcub has also been roaming Steelport though hasn’t declared his character’s state of nakedness whilst doing so. There’s been the usual bouts of Killzone 3 mixed up with a bit of The Last Guy, some Blur and a game the name of which conjures up thoughts of “Cor! Exciting! Vrroom! Faster pussycat, kill, kill! Non-stop action!” amongst other things. Need For Speed: The Run did not live up to those expectations.

He tells me the that the game boils down to “two minutes racing then a minute of loading screens and XP” repeated ad infinitum. He’s likely not alone in wondering how EA could release a game about about a non-stop road race that interrupts the racing every few minutes and “destroys any sense of pace”.

“The quicktime events are fine”, he concedes, “they keep things moving, unlike that bloody loading screen map”. The overall verdict, in case you haven’t already picked up on the general vibe, “technically it’s a good game, the racing is fine”. I sense a ‘but’ on the way do you? “But everything else is horribly misjudged, an epic fail”. Back to Blur for your racing then TC?

As for myself I’ve spent more than my usual amount of time playing GT for one reason or another this week. To remind myself how far (or not, in some respects) the franchise has come I spun up both the original Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 3: A Spec in my trusty PS2. It’s amazing how hard Kaz and the crowd at Polyphony Digital have worked to keep the series feeling consistent, even going so far as to reuse the shadows from the original GT in Gran Turismo 5.

I’ve not had a good chunk of time to put into Star Wars: The Old Republic so I’ve done little but fly a few of the space missions. I’m looking forward to Jenn’s next planetfall though as she’s on her way to to one of that universe’s most iconic locations, Tattooine.

There is nothing about leaping ice-bound supertankers in gaudy offroaders that isn't fun!
The Wii was employed for some games of Excite Truck, which is still brilliant fun, when I had some company at the weekend before we rocked out for a while in Rock Band 3. Battlefield 3 also returned to my PS3 after months of absence so I could have a crack at some of the co-op missions with a friend.

Dan can’t tell us anything about Asura’s Wrath, yet, but has finally finished the “deeply disappointing” Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception.

Drake runs about like he’s drunk, the game insists on taking control away from you every 2 minutes for a set piece and the wave after wave of generic enemies left me feeling bored. Uncharted: Golden Abyss does it WAY better. If I had done the review it would have been a 7, because I did like the story and the character interaction. Also Chapter 2 was a nice touch.

On the portable front he’s started playing One Piece Unlimited Cruise on his 3DS. I’m not feeling it yet”, he says, “although it’s early days”. He’s also been “religiously playing” the Vita’s WipEout 2048 demo. Many religions are not without cost and the cost to Dan has been the price of importing the game from Japan. “It should be here by Monday”, uh-oh, “then you’ll never hear from me again”. If there’s no TSA news coverage next week you now know why.

We find Joseph in a constant struggle to make his four hours of daily commuting “less suicide-inducing”. This week’s solution has been Tales of the Abyss on his 3DS. “It’s like every other Tales game ever”, he admits, “but it’s an enjoyable and fairly engrossing RPG”. At home it’s been an epic tale of Skyrim, Skyrim and more Skyrim to purge those commuting blues.

What have you all been up to? Did you make it to Glasgow’s Vita Rooms and enjoy what’s on offer there?

1. KeRaSh

Wow, another week passed by without me playing anything at all… That will hopefully change as soon as Final Fantasy XIII-2 arrives!

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 09:59.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

Of course it will, that is inevitable.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 11:00.
  2. TSBonyman

My day off, when i usually get a chunk of gaming in, was spent upgrading my PS3 hdd. Restoring my data, which was supposed to take 3.5 hours ended up taking 9.5 hours..:O .Since then, I played the Puddle demo, The Darkness 2 demo, PJ:SS demo and Scary Girl demo. None of them really grabbed me.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 10:12.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I feel your pain. My restore took about 12 hours – was so worried that I was going to lose everything! Was happy when it was done!

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 10:52.
      • TSBonyman

Thanks, I even backed up all my pics/music/and videos seperately to make the restore quicker lol. Only thing i lost were a half dozen of my themes which somehow got corrupted, including my favourite, the AFRIKA dynamic theme which i got free from japanese psn.. :(

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 11:29.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Yeah, not sure why themes do that – it’s annoying as some of the free ones that I got ages ago aren’t on the store anymore :(

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 11:40.
      • Watchful
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Oct 2008

The few times I’ve restored PS3 HDDs I’ve noticed that a handful of themes always seem to get corrupted. It’s odd, everything else always seems fine.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 11:41.
      • Watchful
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Oct 2008

Even if they’re not on the store any more you may still be able to download them via your download list.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 11:42.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I think you can only do that for themes you’ve paid for (not certain though). I do wish your download history had a search function. Since GTi Club was removed from the store, the search function didn’t find it and I had to search down 900 lines to find the DLC! :(

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 11:47.
  3. Crazy_Del

Well been playing alot and gained some Platinums
    So far been Playing Rango, Splatterhouse, Battlefield 3 Multiplayer, DiRT 3 Multiplayer, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (1 freaking secret scroll left) Kings of Fighters and Warhammer 40K
    Also played Rayman, Motorstorm, Wipeout and Little Big Planet on PS Vita ^^
    Today is freaking CoJ:BiB secret scroll and Battlefield 3 Meets at 9pm.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 10:15.
  4. Mundham
    Since: Feb 2011

A bit of BF3, Magic 2012, and Just Cause 2. But mostly bit racking up some killstreaks playing as a Dreadnought in the new Space Marine DLC :-)

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 10:31.
  5. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

I’ve been playing Fallout New vegas. I started Dead Money at level 9 and came out at level 16. The plot to Dead Money is good but some elements are annoying. For example, the bloody speakers which can kill you are one of the most annoying elements of the DLC.

I think i’m nearing the 25 hour mark and have only had 1 crash so far. :D

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 10:45.
  6. Eldave0
    andUandU

Currently in the process of trying to finish Skyward Sword (still absolutely amazing) and DK Country Returns so I can trade them towards FFXIII-2 next week.

Other than that I’ve replayed the RE Revelaitons demo a couple of times (full game should arrive in my post box today!) and also scored a few more S ranks in RE Mercenaries.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 10:45.
  7. R1MJAW

I’ve been playing a few older games this week, Virtual Tennis 4 and SBK X. I also played through the LBP2 Muppets dlc and started playing Puddle. I also picked up ran go for 3 quid, but I’ve not got around to starting it yet.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 15:47.
    • R1MJAW

Aaargh, I hate auto correct. That should be Virtua Tennis.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 15:50.
  8. Rocket_345

Skyrim mainly this week. Not as much as i would of liked though with me buying 24 boxset so have been watching that mostly. Still i’ll be hammering it this weekend.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 17:29.
  9. MICKY17

Been getting back into BF3 and having a good crack at the Back to Karkand maps. Little bit of Skyrim and Starhawk to top the week off.

Comment posted on 27/01/2012 at 18:38.