You

WeView: Limbo

How low can you go?

As usual I have scoured my Twitter feed for suggestions for this week’s WeView. Scoured may be too strong of a word though, perhaps “looked at” would be more appropriate. Anyway, I took a peek at my Twitter feed after asking for suggestions and the ultimate outcome is that our very own Dan Lee recommended Limbo. Now I absolutely loved Limbo when I got around to playing it, it was an interesting approach to platforming and puzzle solving with a wonderful art style. In my opinion it highly deserved all the praise it got, including the praise from us.

That’s right, we were all too happy to praise the game when it arrived on Xbox Live. We scored it at an impressive 9/10 in our review, and praised it with words as well. Here’s a quick look at what we had to say about the game:

Limbo’s a stunning game.  It’s haunting, powerful and – mostly – pitch perfect in terms of pacing and difficulty.  Sure, it loses its way a tiny bit towards the end, resorting to tired videogame tropes that risk spoiling the overall experience, outstaying their welcome just a little bit; but Limbo shouldn’t be missed by anyone, it’s an utterly compelling ride and despite the 1200 Points price tag it’s well worth the money.  This is gaming as it should be: refined and precise, but with a real tale to tell.  What you read into that story is part of the fun.

Of course since then it’s made its way onto other platforms, but has still retained all of the qualities we loved in it. I can’t help but agree that it’s a game that everyone should play, but you don’t really have to pay any attention to what I think. This is your chance to have your say on the black-and-white platformer, that’s pretty much the purpose of WeView.

So how did you find Limbo? Did you enjoy the approach it took to platforming and the art style it employed? Did it give you the sense of isolation and terror that was clearly its aim? Or did you feel it was overrated, too much spent on making it seem artistic and not enough hours poured into the gameplay side of things? Whatever your feelings on the game are, it’s time to let them out by dropping a comment below. Whether you loved, hated or were simply ambivalent towards Limbo let us know.

Once you’ve shared your opinion of the game make sure you attach a rating to your comment as well. Remember, for WeView we don’t use a numeric scale but rather weigh games up against the Buy It, Bargain Bin It, Rent It, Avoid It scale. Simply select which of those categories you feel Limbo best falls into and add it to your comment.

You’ve got until Sunday afternoon to complete those tasks if you want to be included in the community verdict that will be published on Monday. Time to get to it!

Read more: # #
  1. tonyyeb
    Since: Aug 2010

Just a small possible flaw in picking Limbo for WeView… Can you rent it??!

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 14:02.
    • halbpro
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Mar 2009

Virtual rental. We’ve had this before with other digital titles :P

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 16:01.
  2. KeRaSh

I bought it from Steam for 2,50€ during a sale and never got around to actually play it… I want to, though!

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 14:04.
  3. rSp8

Gameplay is very basic, but some of the puzzles are brilliant in a “OMG that’s so simple, why didn’t I think of that the first time?” kind of way. The whole design- art style, use of sound (or lack of sound) makes it well worth a go. However, replayability is almost none, so (imagining that it would be possible, with it being download only) it’s got to be Rent It.

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 14:13.
    • wuntunzee

I think re playability is quite high actually, gotta get all those eggs, plus, on the PS3 version (maybe PC as well), there’s a whole other section that is easily missed.

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 16:44.
  4. aycizzle
    Since: Feb 2012

Having played through it twice, it definitely lacks much replay value (once you’ve got the trophies/achievements). But every time a mate has been at my house and they’ve started playing it, it almost always results in having to complete the whole game in a single siting! Testament to how good this game actually is. Buy It!

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 14:21.
  5. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Limbo is a great experience, not like much else I’ve played, even though it adopts the basic platforming attributes – running, timely jumping. The game is basically split up into sections, with each section providing a challenging puzzle or trick. I say “trick” because you know the developers had a premature laugh at your expense when making this: you cannot get past certain sections without first having experienced some painful (and in hindsight some obviously avoidable) deaths. So much so that I laughed out loud to myself – sometimes at my own stupidity, and sometimes due to the cleverness and amusing puzzle mechanics (and subsequent deaths). As the game progresses light, gravity and electricity all come into the equation and make the puzzles progressively harder. The simplistic black and white silhouette art style, along with the minimalist sound, really adds to the sinister feel of the game. Whilst I would recommend buying it, I wouldn’t say it’s incredible and/or groundbreaking, but for what it is – a fairly small, cheap downloadable game – its truly brilliant!

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 14:49.
  6. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

Playing Limbo reminded me of the days when I used to play on advanced flash games on Newgrounds. Really good atmosphere, some excellent puzzles, but some parts felt a little cheap, especially walking into an portion of the game that would deffinately kill you the 1st time around because you didnt know what was coming i.e. falling through the floor onto a bear trap without notice. Still worth a play, just prepare to die a lot the 1st time around, so BUY IT!

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 14:49.
  7. Eldave0
    andUandU

Excellent game and still probably one of my favourite downloadable titles. With striking visuals and great puzzles, this is the sort of the game you will want to keep playing, which is a shame as it’s only a couple of hours long.
    Is it worth £10? Not really, there just isn’t enough content to justify the cost, but if you don’t have a copy already I highly recommend picking up a copy when it is next on sale.
    (Virtual) Bargain Bin It :)

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 15:05.
  8. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

I found Limbo overrated. It starts so well. The beginning is phenomenal, a lonely journey punctuated with memorable encounters with other life that are both exciting and act as curiosities. The puzzles are ingenious and the trial by death mechanic is compelling. As soon as you leave the jungle setting however, it becomes a soulless puzzler, without any other distractions through a generic industrial landscape. First half superb, second half forgettable.

Bargain Bin it from me.

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 15:55.
    • wuntunzee

Agree mostly with your points, but I argue that the both the landscape and the soundscape counts as characters, especially when you’re wearing headphones and playing on the dark. The first and second acts are really really good, but yes, by the third act you’re wishing to go back to the forest and see some more characters. But the ending though!! awesome. perfectly pitched. memorable.

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 16:50.
  9. tactical20

Thought the demo was great, but never got round to buying the full game for some reason. Maybe it was too expensive? Was it over a tenner?

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 18:04.
  10. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Absolutely fantastic game. Fair enough, the game does tail off a little bit towards the end, but the atmosphere still remains throughout.

Comment posted on 28/02/2012 at 18:35.