Feature

What We Played #44

The one where I didn't need reminding Kelly Chambers is dead.

What have robots ever done to us? From the early days of gaming with titles like Robotron through to recent releases like Binary Domain as gamers we seem to be in constant training to blow their little tin heads off.

Kris has been continuing that tradition this week with Shoot Many Robots a game which, to re-use an already overused meme, does exactly what it says on the tin. He tells me it’s very silly and quite good fun. When not shooting many robots he’s ensuring that the equally implausible situation of Brighton and Hove Albion being successful in their footballing endeavours continues in FIFA 12.

I have to hold my hands up and admit to not having played any Journey in the last few days. Even MotorStorm RC has been temporarily cast aside. All I have played except for my regular bout of Gran Turismo 5 online is Mass Effect 3.

Whenever I’ve been able to scare up a spare half hour I’ve put a couple of hours into saving the galaxy. The game, especially running on the PS3, isn’t flawless but it is brilliant. It’s great to be back with characters I’ve spent a couple of hundred hours with in a galaxy I’ve spent that time shaping.

Mass Effect 3 is not afraid of repeatedly dishing up little versions of Star Trek’s Kobayashi Maru test. Time and again the game presents you with decisions that have no happy outcome, you are essentially ordering or consigning one person or another, or one group or another to certain death.

There are already far too many names on my Normandy’s memorial wall that I would much rather not be on there. The game’s not an easy ride if you’re willing to invest emotionally in the characters and have done over the series’ previous two entries but what a ride it is.

Dan has also been playing “lots and lots” of Mass Effect 3. His three-word verdict: “I love it!” That’s despite, like me, stumbling across the game’s technical problems on PS3. He tells me that the only issue he has with the game is its “weird” ending. When not saving the galaxy he’s been soaring through Kid Icarus: Uprising for review.

Following his efforts, including three all-night stints, to write Mass Effect 3’s review for us as timely as he could considering our review code didn’t unlock until release day Blair understandably has nothing more to say on the game this week. He has found time since to have “a lot of fun” with MotorStorm RC’s “very good” new DLC and have a play around with the Hungry Giraffe minis title which “annoyingly doesn’t work on the PS Vita”.

Alex is still playing Journey. You’ve picked up on the subtle subtext that’s been running on TSA lately that he thinks it’s pretty good, right? When not surfing the dunes he’s been playing new old favourite Lumines on his PS Vita, completing the games Voyage mode. When those two games haven’t met his need for violence and destruction he’s been playing some Twisted Metal.

Putting forth the controversial viewpoint, at least among The Tower’s other residents, that Journey is simply “nice” Tuffcub has been using the plenty of non-Journey time has has to play X-Men Destiny, Super Stardust Delta, Frobisher Says, Blur, Killzone 3 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

If you think Chris has probably been playing nothing but Warhawk/Starhawk you’d only be a third right this week:

I’ve mainly been playing Starhawk beta, cramming in as much game time as possible before the beta ends at the end of the month. I’m loving the new map Planet Dust, it’s huge and allows you a lot more time away from the action to be even more tactical.

Civilization Revolution has also grabbed my attention again, I love this game so much. It’s a brilliant example of how the genre can work on consoles and the fact it’s been simplified slightly from it’s feature-laden PC cousins means there’s just less filler, and what’s left is all the good stuff.

Have been thoroughly astounded by Journey, Flower is one of the best games I’ve ever played and Journey is right up there too, I’ve played through it three times now and I can’t wait to play through it again.

Finding opportunity in another’s downfall Aran handed over £20 in GAME to pick up Bioshock 2, Homefront, Hawx, Alpha Protocol, Prince of Persia and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Hawx has singularly failed to produce the excitement necessary to induce metaphorical G-LOC. Alpha Protocol is “quite fun”. While Homefront’s “brutal story and atmosphere” did manage to “strike an emotional chord”.

The fun to be found in Red Faction: Guerrilla by driving through buildings to see what happens just doesn’t get old, nor does using remote charges to drop their edifices on unsuspecting EDF troops. His highlight of the games though, with Prince of Persia still unplayed, is Bioshock 2: the excitement of his return to Rapture leaving him “more excited for Bioshock Infinite than any teaser trailer has”.

Have you been Journeying, galaxy-saving or bargain-hunting?

1. tantalus_blank
    Since: Nov 2008

Is it me or is that a rather obese spoiler in the subtitle there? I can’t tell if it’s a joke – still haven’t finished ME2 :s

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:18.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

I think he just means that ME3 constantly reminds you who didn’t survive your ME2 playthrough, nothing specific about that one character.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:25.
    • Watchful
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Oct 2008

The list of names on your memorial wall in ME3 could well be very different to mine. It serves as an unwelcome reminder of how many life and death choices you make throughout the games while also triggering some happier memories of earlier times aboard ship.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:51.
  2. TSBonyman

I played Journey,Trine 2 and some more J&D:TPL on PS3, UC:GA and Stardust on Vita, dipping into some minis along the way.
    I would be playing ME3

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:19.
    • TSBonyman

damn – pressed something wrong..

I would be playing ME3 this wknd but alas when i went to three different retailers today, none of them had a copy left for PS3 :o
      Oh well, Paddys weekend so i’ll just go drinking for the weekend! :)

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:22.
      • Forrest_01

Two of those didn’t happen to be Game & Gamestation did they? :P

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 16:10.
      • TSBonyman

Game, Gamestop and HMV.. :/

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 17:43.
      • Forrest_01

Ah, i see – Game definietly won’t have it unless it’s preowned, but that doesn’t explain the other two. Just sold well i guess.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 18:05.
      • TSBonyman

I was surprised – i thought it was the 360 version that was selling well but every shop had loads of 360 copies. I guess there were just fewer PS3 copies distributed than for the 360.
        All was not lost though – i managed to find a copy in another late-open shop after work, result!

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 20:54.
  3. OneShotWook
    Since: Jun 2010

Enjoying Me3 here also,really missing a Krogan teamate though tbh.Wouldve helped lighten the atmosphere a bit for me which second time round is grating a little.
    The worst thing about Kelly is her replacement is 20 grands worth of ai.Guns are better than fish.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:19.
  4. shields_t
    Since: Oct 2008

Having been away in NZ and Oz for the last month, all my time has been spent on my 3DS and Vita. Particularly Super Stardust Delta.

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into Journey now I’m home now though.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:22.
    • yogdog
      Since: Feb 2010

Want to play SSD so bad! :(

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:44.
  5. TURRICAN-808
    Since: Jan 2011

Been playin Mass Effect 3 , Black Ops Zombies, BF1943

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:27.
  6. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

Completed the Mass Effect 3 single player in just over a day (got it on release day, had it finished by the next day) and then gave it a rest for a couple of days before I started hammering the multiplayer. The servers are shockingly bad at the moment but once they have that sorted it has the potential to be something quite special…
    The usual Battlefield 3 online has taken place throughout most of the week as well, not going for the top rank though like I did with Bad Company 2, quite happy just plodding along. Currently Colonel rank 9, not far off 10.
    As well as this I completed a hard playthough of Alpha Protocol, just need to clean up a few more trophies then I have the plat. Dipped into Chime: Super Deluxe, Empire: Total War and Dungeon Defenders as well.
    Planning on doing another playthrough of Mass Effect 2 to import it into 3 to see the differences, will see how it goes. Next fridays also the release date of Total War: Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai so need to be done by then as that will occupy all my gaming time for weeks :D

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:44.
  7. R1MJAW

On PS3 – mostly SSX and I started playing through NFS the Run and I played through Journey … it’s awesome.
    On Vita – Finished 2048 season in Wipeout, played through first section of Escape Plan, played about a third of Tales from Space, played the first dozen or so requests in Touch my Katamari, played a few rounds of Everybody’s Golf, played through almost half of the Hustle Kings career … still need to get around to playing Super Stardust and Ridge Racer.
    Oh yeah, I started playing Professor Layton and Pandora’s Box last night.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 15:46.
    • Forrest_01

Hopefully not whilst touching your katamari!!

Disgusting behaviour! :D

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 16:12.
  8. Forrest_01

This week has mainly seen the spoils of Game’s unfortunate situation;

Been playing quite a lot of Shaun White Skateboarding (which is actually better than i thought for, but the fact that its tricks are kind of a blend of Tony Hawk & Skate, it’s a but muddling at times), Lego Pirates of the Caribbean & a little bit of The Darkness 2.

Still have Medal of Honor (still doesn’t feel right not writing the ‘u’), Bodycount & Pro Evo 2010 to start & should hopefully have No More Heroes coming to me shortly.

Games played that weren’t anything to do with the rise & fall of Game were the platinuming of Toy Story 3 (which ended up being a lot more frustrating than it should have been) & making some decent progress through Alice Madness Returns.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 16:20.
  9. hazelam

i would love to play journey, but as scee are still dicking me around over the refund for those broken minis i don’t have enough in my account.

apparently they don’t have enough information now.

i swear the support staff at scee get stupider every day. >_<

anyway.

once again, i are been mostly playin, minecraft.
    i'm beginning to think i might be ever so slightly addicted.
    i can't decide if that's a good or bad thing yet. ^_^

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 16:44.
    • hazelam

i’m beginning to think they’re just taking the piss out of me now.

i emailed them, again, at the weekend.
      on monday i got an email that said my case had been sent to the network team and they would contact me shortly.
      they didn’t, i emailed them this morning, and they said they needed more information.
      i emailed them to ask what other information they needed.
      and then they replied with the exact same copy and pasted reply they sent me monday about the network team and how they would “contact me shortly”.

either they’re taking the piss, or they’re been instructed not to help anybody who doesn’t call that bloody 0844 scamline.

i guess i won’t be getting journey, i know they’re never gonna give me my money back now.

i’ll just wait till there’s something i can afford that interests me and that will be my last ever psn purchase.

i’d rather have nothing and take the money away from them than get the money refunded to my account, anything rather than let worthless scum like them have it.

you know what it’s like when somebody steals from you, and you’d rather whatever it was was destroyed rather than let the thieves have it?
      that’s how i feel right now.

Comment posted on 17/03/2012 at 00:19.
      • Kitch

You do know that you can tell them to phone you back? As soon as they answer tell them you want a call back.

Comment posted on 17/03/2012 at 20:13.
  10. Forrest_01

Also (in reference to the last couple of lines of the piece), I would like to say that Bioshock 2 is perhaps one of the most underrated sequels I have ever played – Sure, it doesn’t have the emotional twisty storyline of the first & is generally more combat oriented, but what it does it does very well. I was also concerned about the multiplayer when I heard about it, but it seems I needed have worried as it was actually great. It’s just a shame that more people didn’t invest some time into it.

Its trouble of course was that it was always going to be compared to its predecessor & thus was pretty much set for a fall from the off.

Oh & I also nearly bought Homefront for a fiver. However, as I already had 2 first person shooters in my hand, 1 on its way to me in the post & around 11 at home at various stages of completion (with about 4 or 5 of those either not started or only just started), I decided it probably wasn’t the best idea to buy yet another FPS. I nearly bought it just because it was a fiver though.

Of course i’ll live on (just about…) but did I miss something great?

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 16:54.
    • Forrest_01

*needn’t.

Damn friday afternoon.

Comment posted on 16/03/2012 at 16:55.