Feature

What We Played #45

The one where Tuffcub reviews Journey.

I could happily write a 1000+ spoiler-filled words on why the Mass Effect 3 ending wasn’t the ending I’d hoped for but the Internet’s seen enough of that lately. God help anyone with an Internet connection still trying to avoid any spoilers. Spoiler-free, my own dislike of the ending was largely down to BioWare’s success in making me care about my character, her friends and the galaxy they inhabit.

In the final moments Leliana Shepard (yes, she had red hair and was named after a certain Orlesian bard whose story was also compelling) could not stay true to some of the values she’d upheld for the last 200+ hours of play across three games but I believe that was the writer’s intention. The questionable continuity in the final two minute cinematic is more troubling but doesn’t significantly diminish ME3′s previous 50+ hours of outstanding gameplay and storytelling.

And it’s BioWare’s story. Should they change anything or be forced to spell out the meaning of the game’s final events in terms a Sun reader could understand instead of leaving it in the realms of mystery and imagination, no. Should referees and football managers change their card decisions and substitutions because the fans demand it and call them names, no.

Should the venomous flaming spittle spewed forth by some Dragon Age “fans” have contributed to BioWare’s decision to scrap the Exalted March expansion to that game, no, but unfortunately on that final point the “fans” have won and Dragon Age 2 is now over.

The Reapers sack the galaxy every 50,000 years because they're looking for the mythical My Little Pony ending.
ME3 sold like a proverbial iPad and a vocal minority seem to want to screw it up for the rest of us. One million day-one copies sold, plus however many more since and protest group Retake Mass Effect (how do you take back something you never owned in the first place?) with its Twitter account with 4,500 followers and Facebook account with 60k likes (at the time of writing) is the core of the “fan” rebellion. Please, that’s 6% of the day-one sales, probably the same 6% flaming every forum in sight.

For once it would be great for the silent majority to stand up and give the vocal minority a damn good slapping. (Admittedly, it’s possible, no matter how unlikely, that only 61k players have so far finished the game.) I just hope that whatever changes or ‘fixes’ BioWare deliver arrive as premium DLC. Then maybe the upset “fans” will become so incandescent with rage for having to pay to have “their” story fixed they’ll spontaneously combust.

Okay, rant over. As you might have guessed I completed Mass Effect 3 this weekend and experienced the ending that Dan last week called “weird”. I can see what he meant and there are certainly questions that BioWare have left hanging at the end of their epic three-volume digital choose-your-own-adventure book. I gather some of you didn’t like the ending much, I can live with it and would have liked to see how BioWare would have progressed the story without unnecessary fan placation. I also played my usual few hours of Gran Turismo 5.

As for Dan, this week he’s been “balls deep in gaming clunge”. His adventures began with Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City a game that “started off fairly average, before becoming rather enjoyable” only for “repetition to set in after that”. Still, it shows promise and as he concluded in his review “with regular updates, it could be a great game”.

After that he moved on to Ninja Gaiden 3 which unfortunately has turned out to be his “biggest disappointment of the year”. Kid Icarus: Uprising with “some awkward controls” failed to “make a great first impression”. However once he’d got to grips with them he found that “a very good little game” opened up. He’s also having trouble putting down his iPad because of Draw Something.

Tuffcub still refuses to become enamoured with Journey saying it was “a nice experience once” and warrants no more than a 7 out of 10 “at a push”. Luckily, playing Super Stardust Delta and “looking at” Assassin’s Creed III have kept the gaming part of his mind occupied.

A self-imposed ban on late-night gaming has left Chris with little time “to pick up a pad” with nothing but a short kick-around on FIFA on his gaming list this week. Going partway towards filling the void is Breaking Bad on Netflix which is Chris’ latest digital crack. Says he, “I may be late to the Breaking Bad party but it’s almost certainly the most awesome thing ever in the whole history of things”.

Time constraints have left Toby in a similar situation with his FIFA-only gaming seeing him trying to get Swindon Town promoted. When he manages to find some time for gaming he tells me that a recently acquired copy of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and Journey are vying for top spot in his to-play list.

Aran played through Rayman 3 HD for us concluding that “it’s a good game and looks great” but is let down by some of the design choices. He singles the camera out as the worst offender. He teamed up with Dan and Blair for some Resident Evil: ORC which was “fun despite the general averageness of the game”.

An attempt to resolve sibling rivalries with Football Manager 2012 hasn’t been entirely successful as his Arsenal could only manage a 2-2 draw against his brother’s Chelsea. Though reasonable cup runs offset against a middling league performance means he hasn’t lost all hope yet. Picking a team that managed to collect at least some silverware in real life might have been a better start though.

Dabbling in some orbital ornithology over the last few days has given Alex some food for thought:

This week I’ve been playing Angry Birds Space. I’ve discovered something, though – despite the furrowed eyebrows and intro cut-scenes suggesting that the title of the game is at least half accurate, I’m sensing nothing but mild annoyance from the eponymous fowl and a willful desire to fling themselves towards the pigs, regardless of the environment. They’re simply not angry, I’m more inclined to think they’re actually just a little bit stupid.

I mean, eggs are eggs, but come on, they’ve been doing this for over two years now and don’t really seem to realise that the best course of action might just be to take a little better care of their unborn offspring. Don’t, for example, have your nest in the middle of a farm apparently occupied by pigs. Green pigs. Stick them up in a tree as generations of gradual evolution have trained you to. Or, if you can build a fancy inter-planetary sling slot, try building a bloody fence.

Far as I’m concerned they get all they deserve.

Fun fact: An average 30g sparrow travelling at 7.5km/s (orbital velocity for low Earth orbit) has a kinetic energy equivalent to 200g of TNT. Hmmm, smoked bacon!
Making the most of a weekend home from Uni, Blair spent a lot of time with MotorStorm RC on his PS Vita. (Not sure why he spent more time on a portable console because he was at home?) “It’s still great fun”, he says as he slowly ticks off the trophies one by one and closes in on the Platinum.

He has also begun a second play through of Mass Effect 3 insisting that this time he’ll “make no mistakes”. As you’ll have already gathered he was the third member of the triumvirate playing Resident Evil: ORC and he shares a similar “fun but flawed” view of the game.

Last but not least this week we find Peter still choosing and fighting his way through Mass Effect 3. Thoughts that he might be able to enjoy the game more without the pressure of a review deadline turned out to be false. Instead playing the game has simply slipped down his prioritised to-do list.

Besides the main game he also has the companion datapad app for his iPad “which is dreadful, aside from the codex”. The iPad gets some less dreadful exercise due to an, ongoing at the time of asking, marathon game of Draw Something. “We hit 99 turns at the end of last week so the game has stopped counting but we’re still going”. Note to OMGPOP Zynga, Draw Something 2/Else/More should include a turn counter with at least three digits.

That about covers our own gaming escapades, what have you lot been up to?

1. TheDemocrodile

Project Zomboid ( http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/tldr-just-give-me-the-jist/ )

Zombie *Survival* RPG, you WILL die, its all about how.
    its the most exciting game in alpha ive played in some time with so much attention to detail and features it puts some AAA Zombie games to shame.

other than that its the usual: Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress with the PS3 getting a bit of love as i went all nostalgic and bought WWE 12 which, though it plays well, was a mistake as i know hardly anyone as the last time i paid attention to wrestling was in 2002 when i was 17 :P

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:12.
    • Forrest_01

Yeah, doink the clown isn’t in it anymore! :D

But i wouldn’t know anything about that. *ahem*

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:39.
  2. OriginalJonty (Aran Suddi)
    Since: Sep 2011

I have a season update! My Arsenal team have won the League Cup. However, I was knocked out of the Champion’s League by Bayern Munich, losing 4-3 on aggregate. Now have Man Utd to face in the FA Cup. But the real highlight is my brother being sacked by Chelsea and now managing Millwall.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:15.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

What football game is this, is sounds terribly unrealistic? Arsenal winning a trophy? :p

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:18.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

OH NO YOU DIDN’T!!!! Arsenal are great lol

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:32.
      • OriginalJonty (Aran Suddi)
        Since: Sep 2011

It just goes to show that I can work miracles.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:53.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I’m putting you forward for the England job.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:55.
      • TheDemocrodile

you evil, evil man, there`s Miracles and the there`s The Impossible!

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:14.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

I have to agree with Tuffcub. I think Journey is utterly gorgeous, totally different and enjoyable – but not necessarily 10/10 as it appears to have received from many places. I played it for just over an hour and nothing has drawn me back to it yet. Perhaps I need to give it time this coming week.

I’ve been playing Bioshock 2 – finally, after hour upon hour of multiplayer, and my Hard playthrough (which probably took longer than it should do) – the Platinum is mine!! I got it just last night so still pleased.

Also played Killzone 3 multiplayer, Wipeout 2048 (which is keeping me from playing anymore Uncharted: Golden Abyss), Trine 2, and MGS Peace Walker HD which is really starting to become addictive with the staff and equipment upgrade sections! Picked up a few S ranks in co-op with McProley.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:16.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

congrats on the plat, u the only person on my friend list with more plats than me (jealous!)

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:08.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Lol, thanks mate. I have Crazy_Del on my list and he has 104 Plats I think :O

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:12.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

What are you serious 104 plats wow, I think 17 (you) is the highest I have ever seen but 104 that’s almost every game ever released almost.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:18.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Welcome to thesixthaxis Trophy Leaderboards (page 62 has the latest list thanks to AIR):

My count is average at best, I’m 49th I think in the table. :/

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:20.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

seriously you lot have time, I only started caring for trophies this time last year but you lot though am speechless

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:33.
      • Forrest_01

Admittedly a team of people rather than just one, but Duck360 has around 275 platinums as of about now.

There are others that operate similarly of course, but i think the individual with the most plats at the mo has around 200 or so.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:35.
      • Forrest_01

In the world that is, not TSAers.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:36.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I’m the same as you TM, I’m late to the trophy party and only started getting addicted last year and now I have a young son, so I’ll struggle to reach anywhere near the 100, or even 50 mark (Platinums), but it’ll be fun trying! :)

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:41.
      • Crazy_Del

Haha Thanks for the mention and Welcome Taylor
        *Polishes his trophy cabinet*
        Hmmmm need more shelve spaces in the future you know… just in case =P

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 11:37.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

LOL Crazy Del haha!

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 12:06.
  4. Jim Hargreaves

In all honesty I wasn’t a fan of how Mass Effect 3 drew to a close. The actual events of the closing scene were emotional and impacting, it was just the lack of input from the other character during final hour that upset me.

I wont actively campaign for a new ending, but I’ll definitely be scoping out the add-on content BioWare has in the pipeline.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:22.
  5. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Can’t game. Have no time thanks to Breaking Bad marathons.

Breaking Bad > Everything else, ever!

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:33.
  6. freezebug2

Playing the Sly trilogy, completed 1 and 2, and am steadily working through 3.
    Gran Turismo 5 seasonals, updated every Wednesday @ midnight I think, with the Time Trials being my favourites….this weeks Time Trial sees the Chaparrel 2J (optional) back on the road again wearing bananas for tyres in the guise of sport/hard tyres trying for a fast time at Indianapolis.
    Downloaded the Rayman 3 demo, yet to try it but have no high expectations in comparison to and after recently playing the majestical Rayman Origins.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:34.
  7. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Been playing ME3 trying save the earth but in all fairness am just not hooked to the game, I love it but am just not into it like I was with ME2. But The online is really fun & the idea of just throwing enemies at you is good.

Also been playing some free jewel game I downloaded for the vita, Until my gf saw me playing the game well lets say we need another vita in the house cause I hate sharing my things especially when they disappear.

Also been playing some Sly its actually a fun game, why have I never played this on ps2 & Trine 2 been trying play that but its boring.

Peace Walker now that I have activated the trophies, been trying play it but its a bit confusing with this team stuff, I did understand it on psp but on ps3 am like huh

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:37.
  8. KeRaSh

Not much this week. A little Amalur and Motorstorm RC…

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:45.
  9. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Motorstorm RC, almost exclusively. Youles will forever be the bain of my life if I don’t beat ALL his times.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:47.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Lol, don’t add PoolieMike, teflon or Death_In_Flamez then, they often have quicker times than me. But in my defense I don’t play it much, just enough to get 3 stars….so I’d like to think I could beat them on some courses ;)

And please don’t beat them all, let me have some quicker times :(

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:51.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

I had exact the same problem, then I just gave up, all i could see was Youle ghost car, I nearly beat him then i got stopped by the other cars as if they protecting him

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:56.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

They /were/ protecting me. I was using the power of my mind to move the other cars into your path :p

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 10:05.
  10. DirtyHabit

Spent this week dragging two ill kids around EuroDisney. So its just been a small amount of exhausted Vita gaming for me. UC:GA, Escape plan and Rayman.

Comment posted on 23/03/2012 at 09:52.