Robert Bowling Resigns From Infinity Ward

Respawns elsewhere?

Robert Bowling has this evening resigned from Infinity Ward (and, naturally, Activision).

“Today, I resign from my position as Creative Strategist of Call of Duty, as a lead of Infinity Ward, and as an employee of Activision,” he tweeted.

The news comes rather unexpectedly, with Bowling, who goes by the handle fourzerotwo, is a very public figurehead for the Call of Duty brand.

I don’t know the guy personally, but I wish him all the best in whatever he does next.

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Yes he had a lot to put up with, but I’m sure he’s well rewarded, even more so since everyone left & he got a fancy job title… but he did only (generally) only answer questions which could be answered with good news. And then more recently creative strategist, WTF so its his fault there’s now creativity or what?

Comment posted on 26/03/2012 at 23:41.
    • Deathbrin

Probably just a strategist who is creative at it.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 08:37.
      • OneShotWook
        Since: Jun 2010

Made me chuckle Brin ty:).

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 15:59.
  2. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

Maybe they can hire a person that will answer all questions. Clearly he doesn’t code or have any input in the game, so why were IW even paying him?
    He “tried” to get OMA tweaked and lag comp tweaker but nothing as IW rejected his ideas.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 02:27.
  3. hazelam

i’m sure he’ll find work somewhere else sooner rather than later.
    with the way every publisher seems to be trying to ride the COD coat-tails i have no doubt one of the key people behind the series is going to be pretty sought after.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 09:44.
    • hazelam

and i’d bet he’s already got something lined up.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 09:44.
  4. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

His interaction with the community, was second to none. Not hard to do, as most franchises you get zero, or very little feedback.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 10:07.
  5. SpikeyMikey23

He was pushing for more DLC and (more to the point!) free DLC etc. Activision probably told him to fuck right off regarding he free DLC

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 10:20.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

arrghh, just read your post, my bad fella.
      see below…

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 17:49.
  6. HoboCastro
    Since: Mar 2010

Sad to see him go after doing a great job despite Activision’s pressure on IW. And to put up with what he has is admirable. Did a great job bringing the Modern Warfare series to a close.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 10:21.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Er.. whut? You really not expecting MW4 next year?

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 12:40.
      • HoboCastro
        Since: Mar 2010

It was only meant to be a trilogy. If there is a fourth I’ll be astounded. Isn’t Black Ops 2 then the next a year some sort of space marine type thing. Oh, and an MMO somewhere in there.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 15:07.
  7. OneShotWook
    Since: Jun 2010

I’m not sure why people are assuming he will go over to respawn as he’s not credited for any of the games they’ve worked on up to and including mw2.
    I would assume he’s an activision employee which i believe is the reason they left.
    Anyways whoever he is he seems well known so good luck.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 16:22.
  8. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

I think this may have been the beginning of the end, or at least been brewing for a while.

Roberts’ view on DLC…
    “Here is my philosophy on throw back maps: Old school maps, I love maps like that, I wanna see Creek, I wanna see Overgrown, I wanna see Crossfire, I wanna see Highrise.

So my mentality on it is if you are going to do throwback maps, if you are going to do classic maps, keep it outside of the DLC model. Like for DLC, if you are paying for stuff and it’s included in your subscription, it should all be new content. ‘Give me something new I’ve never seen before’ and that’s not something we’ve done in the past before we’ve included in traditional map packs.” (forbes.com)

Respect for airing his view, being as it wouldn’t sit well with activision. I for one agree with it.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 17:45.
  9. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Sounds like he fancies a change from cod in parsley sauce…

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 18:42.