1GB Battlefield 3 'Patch' Goes Live, With Server Renting

Really interesting.

Anyone on the team with any kind of remotely passing interest in Battlefield 3 is either sat out in the sun having a cheeky cider or they’re hiding.  I’m trying to feign interest in all this, but instead ended up feeling a bit miffed that everyone’s calling this thing a patch.  A GIGABYTE patch.

I remember when all this was just fields, etc.

Anyway, whatever, Battlefield 3 (the game were you stab a rat and then a bit later sit in the back of a fast airplane and go oooooh at the clouds) has got a big fat update, which apparently contains “more tweaks, fixes, and additions than you can shake a stick at” and gets your whites whiter than white.

Things that mean almost nothing to me in no particular order: a 5-flag Conquest Assault variant for PS3 on Wake Island, the ability to rent your own server (£1.19 a day or £20 for a month) and a big pile of shortcut items that cost money but remove the need to actually play the game.

I love this generation.

1. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

My reaction to the patch size was f*ck off when i saw the TSA twitter account tweet it. That’s bigger then some games. I know it’s going to sound stupid, but i’m now refusing to get BF3 just because of this patch size or untill they release a GOTY version that has the patch on disc. :)

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 15:57.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

Understandable. I prefer my PS3 to my 360 overall but I have to say it’s great buying a 360 game and knowing you can just put it in the tray, download a 5-10 second patch and away you go. PS3 installs and massive patches make me sad :(

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 16:09.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

can understand that if you have crap net it will take about 5mins max for me to download it.

Comment posted on 28/03/2012 at 06:19.
    • david24
      Since: Feb 2011

really?, skyrims patch’s exceed 1gb by a lot.

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 18:03.
  2. bigmac175
    Since: Jan 2009

Sweet jesus, well i reckon thats the rest of my hard drive filled :(

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 16:05.
  3. Death_In_Flamez
    Since: Feb 2011

You know, I was looking for a server to rent on Battlefield 3 and wow those are competitive prices!

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 16:59.
  4. wick15

I hope this patch gets released for PC soon. There are a lot of fixes that I’ve been waiting for in it.

Also, 1GB is nothing. Try patching games on a PC. The 1.4 update for Skyrim was 4GB :P

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 17:04.
  5. cnutard
    Since: Apr 2011

I Can’t really see the problem with the size of it. Yes it is a lot for struggling hdds, my own included, but the list of changes is huge. Bf is all about the multiplayer and some of the changes have been influenced by the community to make the game more fair and balanced. With so many weapons it can be hard to get the balancing spot on for release. I guess it boils down to how much you play. No One wants a gb worth of space taken up for a game they hardly play… Where I’m sure I play it more than anyone else on tsa so the size doesn’t bother me at all.

Charging 32 quid for all unlocks seems rather steep though. Thats pretty much a whole new game!

I’m glad they’ve put a 5 flag wake map in, 3 just didn’t feel right compared to the previous wake maps. And the Best fix has to be horns for jeeps :)

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 17:12.
  6. Tanzil
    Since: Mar 2010

at least it’ll get my whites whiter than white. No more Daz for me!

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 18:11.
  7. Burgess_101

The PC update is delayed due to console certification or something. Surprise surprise…

Comment posted on 27/03/2012 at 21:11.
  8. C_S15

“Now you can pay to play your own private matches!” EA Games: charge for everything.

Comment posted on 28/03/2012 at 03:36.
  9. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

really nice positive way of telling us.

Comment posted on 28/03/2012 at 06:17.