PlayStation 4 Rumoured, Codename "Orbis"

They liked their Latin for the PSP2, didn't they?

Kotaku has taken a moment out from its usual stream of semi-titillating photos of cosplayers, Japanese niche cultural trends and fashion advice to leak some information about the next generation of PlayStation hardware.

The information comes from an unnamed source so we’ll just lay it out here and let you decide how much you trust the source Kotaku clearly does.

It will be called “Orbis”, at least as a working title. This is backed up by the SCE subdomain orbis.scedev.net being a thing. This is the portal that developers use to access resources for development. vita.scedev.net and ngp.scedev.net both work, as does the PS3 equivalent but the PS4 version of that address goes nowhere.

It has an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Islands GPU making it roughly as powerful as some of the high end gaming PCs due out this year. AMD CPU is something that has been rumoured before and given the company’s possible involvement there, also supplying a GPU isn’t too much of a stretch.

Orbis will be out next year. Apparently it’s due in the holiday season of 2013. No word on whether this is worldwide or just in the US and Japan, as with the PlayStation 3’s 2006 launch. It won’t be backward compatible with PS3 games though, so you’ll have to clear some extra space under the TV because you’re going to want to keep your PS3 around.

There are some extremely disturbing rumours that there will be a restrictive DRM system in place which requires you to lock a newly purchased game (Blu-ray) to your PSN account, which will allow you to copy the whole thing to your hard disk but will also render any subsequent trade in practically useless. The idea seems to be that pre-owned purchasers will basically get a gimped version of the game like a trial which prompts them to pay a further fee to unlock the full thing.

There’s also warning that playing offline will not be an option to circumvent this DRM. Like some heavily criticised PC games recently, there could be plans to require a PSN connection before a game disc will work at all. Can’t see that being any sort of issue given the PSN’s history of maintenance, launch day server woes and periods of downtime…

As always, whether you choose to trust these rumours is up to you, nothing is certain until Sony takes to a stage somewhere and announces it. It’s interesting to speculate though, how believable do you think this batch of rumours is?

Source: Kotaku

Read more: # #
  1. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

Looks like I am the only one who doesnt find any of these points negative. I only buy games new these days because, lets be honest, second hand games are almost as expensive as the new copies and a lot of the time you get bonus content for buying it new. Trading in games has never appealed to me either. I feel dirty knowing somebody is going to get charged £15 for something I just traded in for £5. Constant internet connection isnt a problem either, because I do that now with my PS3.

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 08:16.
    • hazelam

and your internet never goes down?
      what mythical isp do you use that never has any downtime?

and leaving aside the fact that trading in and buying preowned games are both totally, 100% legal, there’s the fact a whole generation of games will be rendered unplayable in the future.

now i buy lots of old games, games that are years out of the period where they were profitable.
      even games from two or three generations ago.
      some of them stand up well with the best of today’s games, gameplay wise, if not graphically.

in no other media does that happen.

people can still read Shakespeare, they can still listen to Beethoven, they can still watch Chaplin.
      what a poor, sad world this would be if all media locked off content to everybody but the original buyer out of greed like the games industry wants to do.

i don’t get why people even think this is acceptable.
      that first sale applies everywhere but gaming.

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 08:45.
      • 3shirts

That is a very good point. The efforts to reduce piracy in gaming seem to be so drastic as to have a real detrimental effect on everyone when only a tiny percentage of them are pirates and an even smaller percentage of those are actually ‘defeated’ by these efforts.
        I recently bought a friend an N64 for his birthday and went to Gamestation to rummage for games. Got Mario 64, Blast Corps and the mighty Goldeneye. If this DRM technique takes hold of the industry. Classics like that will be lost and the hours of retro fun we have had could never have been.

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 16:42.
  2. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

What I don’t get is why the consumer gets shafted for buying used games. The developers get a slice of the money from new games which is fine and is how it should be. Most of the used games that are bought are done through big retailers so why can’t the games industry speak to retailers and work out a deal where they get say 10% of any further resales.

It would seem that putting this onto us is the easy way out rather than try and get a deal with the stores.

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 10:00.
  3. Crocadillian
    Since: Feb 2011

Although I will wait and see what happens, suffice to say I don’t trust Sony, and this doesn’t help.

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 11:55.
  4. andymclelland
    Since: Jun 2010

I love the idea of stopping piracy, but until locking a game to an account is going to really suck, unless the price of games drops dramatically. And no BC? Think I’ll pass thank you.

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 12:35.
    • andymclelland
      Since: Jun 2010

Ooooopps, should read “but locking”. Seems my internal editor is swimming in caffine

Comment posted on 29/03/2012 at 12:38.
  5. Eldave0
    andUandU

If this is how the game’s industry ends up I’ll happily stick to my current consoles and eventually call it a day.
    I am happy to admit that I’m usually very tight with my money. With the cost of living always going up I have no choice really. Therefore I always trade my older games in towards new purchases to justify the cost, I also get two games from lovefilm each month for about 6quid. If these options are taken away I simply won’t bother anymore. The industry is getting stale these days anywho :)

Comment posted on 30/03/2012 at 14:15.
  6. SoulGamer
    Since: Feb 2011

I don’t believe the no PS3 backwards compatibility point. If it’s still using Blu-ray HOW are they not going to support it? It’ll be a far cry since PS1 and PS2 games will be supported on the PSN store and PS3 games also so unless the digital offerings are still valid, no physical support of PS3 titles will be damaging – it’s like building a new ecosystem that will take years to mature (again)

Comment posted on 02/04/2012 at 18:40.