You

WeView: Stacking

Pop open your thoughts on this downloadable puzzler.

Usually, when Kris picks a game for WeView, he chooses something that he thinks was experienced by a lot of people. It’s usually something that was a good seller or got plenty of publicity. He looks for something with a TSA review to act as a reference point. But Kris is away and I’m not so considered in my approach to picking WeView titles. I picked the one that got the most enthusiastic plea for its selection.

It has a unique look and feel to it.
Stacking was a reasonably big deal, at least in the marketplace it resides. Few downloadable titles got as much publicity around their launch from so many different places. It’s odd that we didn’t review it at the time and I’ll be perfectly honest and own up to not knowing why we skipped it. Sometimes we just don’t have time.

I know a number of TheSixthAxis staff members played it though, and it was very much enjoyed by most people I’ve seen talk about it. Personally, I found it a little too heavy on tutorials and a little too slow to get going. I didn’t press on and uncover the delights that many talked about and to my limited knowledge, it looked like a quirky, repetitive puzzle game with too much walking around and not enough focus on that stacking mechanic.

The idea was to stack matryoshka dolls inside each other to assimilate and utilise special abilities and it led to puzzles which had multiple approaches. It was a smart idea and, by most accounts, it was implemented well by Double Fine. Coming from that studio, of course, you can expect a sense of humour to be present and Stacking didn’t disappoint on this front. It was written well, as you’d expect, with some amusing dialogue popping up throughout.

So, with no TSA review to quote, and limited personal knowledge of the game, it’s all the more important that I throw the floor open to you guys and get your assessment of Double Fine’s quirky puzzler – Stacking.

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below and don’t forget to leave a rating of Buy It, Bargain Bin It, Rent It or Avoid It. We’ll collect the choice quotes for next Monday’s verdict.

Read more: # #
  1. Sympozium

Wasn’t it a Xbox exclusive? Shame should be on other platforms by now if not.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:02.
    • bunimomike

I enjoyed this little title on the PSN, I’ll have you know! :-)

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:13.
      • Forrest_01

Ummm, yeah – I don’t think Xbox exclusives can be given away on PS+ can they? :P

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:49.
    • Sympozium

Damn so it is.. Will have to try it then.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 14:23.
  2. bunimomike

There’s something strangely charming and different about Stacking. Sure, the cut-scenes go on for way too long but you can’t beat that puzzle-hunt challenge and the desire to find evermore curious matryoshka dolls to see what unique talent/trait they have. Also, the environments (for each chapter) really shine through with how they look.

Rent It!

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:16.
    • bunimomike

Ah, I’d like to change my vote to “Bargain Bin It” please. :-)

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:42.
  3. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

Got this free with Plus. I really enjoyed the ideas of the game at first but I just found it to be a bit over complicated which put me off so I didnt really give it the chance it deserved.
    Bargain Bin it

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:17.
    • gaffers101
      Since: Oct 2008

I got it free on PS+ too and haven’t even started it up yet. Looking at what people have said, I think I’ll save it for a rainy day……

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 15:59.
  4. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

Absolutely charming and thoroughly well-presented. I enjoyed every second of it and it even has a positive message. What’s not to like? BUY IT.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:24.
  5. mrfodder

I really enjoyed it at first. It’s a very unusually concept and deserves a look. I think the puzzles got a bit too convuluted and I eventually got bored. Bargain Bin it.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:30.
  6. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

I believe Stacking to be my favourite ever PSN download. Its quirky, inspired and unique. The game play was simple but allowd for enough depth to keep it interesting and the solutions to the puzzles had a monkey island-esq vibe to them (which was to be expected with it being a Schafer production). All the charm added to what wa a well rounded idea and quality title. A must buy for me.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:32.
  7. teflon
    Community Team

Utterly charming game. An absolute must buy.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:41.
  8. MadBoJangles

Completed this the other day :)
    Charming, cutesy, funny and some very clever solutions to some of the puzzles! Well worth it’s cost, tempted to get the DLC for it too! The cut scenes can seem to go on forever in places, but they do tell a very good tale.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:45.
    • MadBoJangles

Ooooh forgot to add BUY IT!!

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 13:46.
  9. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Probably the best thing PS+ has ever provided…and easily worth a buy!

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 14:00.
  10. SpikeyMikey23

Bored me shitless. Avoid (controversial it may be but it’s only my opinion :D )

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 14:14.
    • Forrest_01

I don’t think its that controversial mate – I thought the same when i watched the preview. In fact i recall thinking to myself “is THIS what people are raving about?? Really??”.

I was actually hoping to read some good stuff on it to see if i judged a bit early.

Maybe not! XD

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 14:35.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Lol, I remember we had a similar conversation before. I found it very boring and slow, played it for about 20 mins and remember giving up when I just had to go and find someone without knowing who exactly I was looking for. Trial-and-error talking to every NCP is not my idea of fun.

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 16:16.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Oh, that was an Avoid btw, based on 20 mins (inc loading times).

Comment posted on 03/04/2012 at 16:17.