Nihilistic Details Resistance: Burning Skies Multiplayer

There's a trailer too.

We’re little more than a month away from Vita’s debut first person shooter, Resistance: Burning Skies, which is due to launch on May 30th. To get the party started, the official PlayStation Blog will be plugging the game over the next few weeks, its most recent post shedding light on the game’s competitive multiplayer.

Matches will be structured for 2v2/4v4 encounters, featuring options for Deathmatch and TDM with a third mode due to be announced next week. Burning Skies will launch with 6 stock maps inspired by various locales in the singleplayer component.

As with the majority of modern online shooters, the game will also adopt and rank system that slowly builds as the player gains XP. In time this, along with your singleplayer progress, will combines to unlock new loadout options.

Burning Skies will also reward players for integrating with the PlayStation community. Aside from being able to form squads via the console’s “Party” function, “Near” can be used to acquire “social perks” such as XP multipliers.

1. Origami Killer

Visually it looks dreadful but could be fun.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:08.
    • bmg_123
      Since: Feb 2012

Yeah, I’m really surprised by this, since their a second-party (?) developer, and they’d surely have tech direct from Sony?

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:11.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

*they’re – I can’t stand spelling mistakes…

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:23.
      • Origami Killer

Yeah. Can’t only hope the final game looks a bit more polished.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:16.
      • Origami Killer

Can* looks like we are all falling at spelling and grammar today

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:16.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Considering how amazing Wipeout 2048 looks and plays online, and at the maximum Vita resolution, this looks average.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:09.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

*shite not average.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:11.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

Woah, woah…I wouldn’t go THAT far. Sure it doesn’t look the best, but the variety and such so far looks pretty intriguing, at the least.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:16.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

come on Youles, at least its another vita MP, I know I will see you online playing it

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:18.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I suppose but since being blown away by the textures, lighting effects, scenery and graphics in general in Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048, I just expected much more – this is not even close to the games I’ve mentioned. My point about Wipeout before is that games don’t need to be compromised visually to run well online.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:21.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

@TM – lol, actually mate think I’ll give it a miss. I need to be realistic with my Vita – its not gonna get the use my PS3 does therefore I should get drawn into buying every game for it! My next Vita purchase will probably be MGS (2 and 3)! :)

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:36.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

*shouldn’t

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:36.
      • amdwill
        Since: Dec 2011

Did you watch it in HD?

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:48.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

No idea, watched it on my iPhone 4S if that helps.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 21:14.
      • amdwill
        Since: Dec 2011

it really looks quite good in 720p lol, not amazing but far from bad

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 22:28.
      • teflon
        Community Team

Wipeout is a racer, so you really can’t compare it to a shooter. I mean, Wipeout HD and Gran Turismo 5 run at 1080p and 1440x1080p respectively with 60Hz, but then CoD games run at much less than 720p to get that.

2048 is native resolution and at 30Hz, with dynamic resolution switching when things get hectic. Uncharted quite famously runs at less than native resolution, shuts off wireless connectivity and, I think, only ever really has 3 or 4 NPCs on screen at any time, in order to run how it does within the power usage limitations.

So there’s different limitations in different places. It’s still effectively a launch title, so all the developers are still finding their feet somewhat. If it was a 2nd or 3rd year game, I would certainly want to see improvements to the graphics and capabilities over what is on show here.

Almost a must buy for me, just to get the first real shooter for the machine.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 23:54.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I won’t buy it just cos it’s the first shooter, I’ll wait for something better. After all my PS3 is my main console. I see what you’re saying but its not even close to the other games, that’s my point.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 07:36.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

Youles your being way to harsh but that is your opinion mate.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 16:34.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I didn’t mean to upset anyone, I’m sure lots of people will enjoy it. Perhaps I’ve just been spoiled and my expectations raised since only having Uncharted and Wipeout. Having been underwhelmed by Resistance 3, this just doesn’t do much to grab me unfortunately.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 17:16.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

no problem mate different strokes & all that. demo might swing you over :)

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 19:39.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Very true. Watched it again today and my first comment was more accurate, “shite” was a little harsh! :)

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 19:49.
  3. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Wasn’t AT ALL hyped for this before this trailer. Now I’m kinda crazy about it. Not much more to say except, I need a vita!

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:09.
    • s_h_b
      Since: Apr 2012

No, you ALWAYS do this. You see a trailer for anything and you gt crazy over it, and then you lambaste people for doing the same thing. And you don’t have the money to be buying a Vita, I don’t know how many more times I have to tell you this. GOD.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:25.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

This amuses me, you’re like an old married couple. :-P

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:32.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

You’re right, it was a knee-jerk reaction…I’m sorry :(

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:28.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

Since when have I lambasted people over such things anyway?

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:31.
      • s_h_b
        Since: Apr 2012

When have you lambasted it? What about when I was talking about how the film Ted looks really good, and you said that I was fooled by the trailer which is designed to make me want to see the film? Oh yeah, that was completely different.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:35.
      • nemesisND1derboy
        Since: Apr 2010

Either I’m missing something here, or the fourth wall is being shattered.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:39.
      • bmg_123
        Since: Feb 2012

Yeah this is fourth wall stuff. Just to clear up, I wasn’t being serious about Ted, I think it was pretty obvious that what I was saying was a joke. That is all.
        This game looks good in terms of multiplayer, but I predict that it’ll unfortunately be an average game, which is a shame because I love the resistance franchise.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:43.
  4. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

on my buy list for SP but this MP will be great as well.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:10.
  5. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Cant wait for this, I love me some resistance just not 2

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:10.
  6. stage1
    Since: Feb 2012

Looks great but a shame it’s not 8v8. I’m sure games in the future will support that though.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:11.
  7. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Already pre-ordered. Mostly for the SP though. Sure it may not look amazing, but for an early title on a handheld I think it seems decent, and gameplay and story will be more important anyway. Don’t like how enemies simply splatter and disappear though.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:30.
  8. TSBonyman

I’m not ahuge fan of the series since the first one but i do want me some FPS on Vita… soon… so it depends how long i can hold out.. :)

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 19:57.
  9. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Not good.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 20:19.
  10. Kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

Don’t get how people can say this does not look good 0_0? + It will look even better on the OLED screen. That being said the framrate could be improved abit.

Comment posted on 12/04/2012 at 21:50.