Feature

What We Played #48

The one where Aran turns on his ally.

With Kris’ known proclivity for dancing few would be surprised to find him doing the timewarp. The time warping he’s been doing this week though is to go back to those heady days of 2007 when it seemed the year-on-year growth of the video gaming market might continue ad infinitum.

He’s busy driving up hill and down dale in the Mako as he tries to get his Commander Shepard recruited into the storied ranks of the Spectres in the original Mass Effect. “I’m quite enjoying it”, he says despite the tribulations of trying to second-guess decision. His one criticism is that “it’s very poor at highlighting you taking damage”.

With his review of EA’s latest adultery simulator, Tiger 13, out of the way Peter turned his incisive attentions towards every ‘real’ Star Wars fans’ third most popular hate target, with Jar-Jar and that Christmas Special being the top two.

Indeed Star Wars Kinect has seen many fans, at least those over the age of seven, producing more venom than even the deadly spider-like kinrath that inhabit Dantooine and Kashyyyk. Peter truncated the original text of his review by about 60% to remove the galaxy-spanning tangents “that were half Star Wars fanboy geekery and half ranting irrelevance”.

I didn’t think that would be fair to the game, which actually has one or two decent points buried beneath the very dodgy controls and the odd choice to include a Dance Central clone. I’m glad I don’t have to keep playing, although I will go back to the Rancor Rampage mode, that was lots of fun.

When not leaping around in front of his TV like a seven year old he’s been spending his time in a more grown-up manner by finger-painting on his iDevices. Singled out this week is Saturday Morning RPG, a “delightfully self-aware, classic RPG which offers a tribute to Saturday morning cartoons from our childhood“.

Stick! Oh KB, where are you now?
Of course depending on your age saturday morning cartoons may not have been a feature of your childhood. These days Saturday mornings on BBC One aren’t the home of multi-coloured swap shops showcasing spectacular jumpers, beards and cartoons. Instead it’s a mix of news and cookery shows and as all true PlayStation fans know if you go back to your gran’s Saturday mornings all she had for entertainment was pushing a hoop with a stick. With a stick!

Dan’s been lucky enough to be spending time with various forthcoming games. He can’t tell us about Dragon’s Dogma yet, you’ve hopefully already read his impressions of the much-anticipated Sorcery and he’s not allowed to tell us how amazing the new minis title Velocity is until its embargo is up.

Aside from those he’s also found room in his gaming schedule to start playing Inazuma Eleven 2 which he calls “the most insane game I’ve ever come across”. It’s an RPG for Nintendo’s DS that “looks very similar to Pokemon, has cutscenes in the style of Professor Layton, and has you taking on aliens who are threatening Earth, and defeating them by winning games of football against them”. Only in Japan.

Since the excitement/emotional engagement/despair/disappointment (he doesn’t specify which) of playing through Mass Effect 3 Blair hasn’t found a game that really grabs him. This week his dabbling has been confined to MotorStorm RC, some Rock Band and a little mod-trying in Skyrim.

Tuffcub spent Easter trying to catch up on some games.

I played Hydrophobia: Prophecy from start to finish. Neat little game but the inclusion of mystical water powers five minutes before the end of the game seems rather rushed. Also for a game about water it doesn’t do much with it apart from making you wade through it. Could of done with more water based puzzles.

Apart from that he invested another 40 hours into Skyrim, which probably equates to a short quest or two following by some smithing and then trying to find a merchant how could afford the freshly-made shiny goods. He also tried to finish Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time “but really couldn’t be arsed” which sounds like my own last attempt at the same thing.

Finally there was some time spent with a borrowed copy of Soul Calibur IV. “I had no idea what was going on but I fought about ten different characters then the credits rolled. Is that it? Did I finish the game? Confuzzlement.”

Halfway through BioShock 2’s main storyline we find Aran who’s been revelling in the chaos that can ensue when stray shots from a Big Sister attempting to recover a recently liberated Little Sister get a Big Daddy all riled up. With the whirlwind of combat spiralling past a hacked security camera resulting in the summoning of security bots too Big Sis’ didn’t stand a chance. Scenting blood Aran then descended on the wounded Big Daddy like one of the ocean’s oldest, rough-skinned, pointy-toothed denizens.

As for myself I fired up Skyrim for the first time this year to make the most of the improvements brought by patch 1.05/2.04 (delete as appropriate for your region). I was enjoying the reduction in ‘rim-lag before three hard-reset-requiring, water-inspired crashes had me heading enraged towards the forums. Of course there was also the regular couple of hours of Gran Turismo 5.

My 3DS hasn’t seen much action lately but does get flipped open at least once a week so I can watch the latest episode of Shaun the Sheep as I’m a big Aardman fan. It’s a cunning strategy of Nintendo’s to load transient weekly content to keep you returning to the console.

Sony’s recent attempt to copy that strategy on the PS Vita with its weekly firmware updates isn’t so welcome. Another new unwelcome ‘game’ I’m having to play with my PS Vita is memory card pruning. To download the patch and expansion for Escape Plan I had to cull some existing content.

Fortunately the three free AR games were still on there so they’ve now been deleted. Played once, now deleted never to be installed again. I’m still looking for my first compelling AR game or experience. Perhaps Microsoft’s version of Google’s AR glasses could be it?

Or perhaps not. What have you been playing this week?

1. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Got GCSEs in a few weeks so not much besides a little Max Payne on iPhone, and again a little bit of The movies on pc.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:07.
  2. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Tiger tiger tiger, its been all about the excellent tiger 13 for me.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:09.
  3. Rocket_345

Mass Effect 3. Lots and lots of Mass Effect 3. No game has grabbed me this much in a long time. I have no desire to take it out of my PS3. Also some Shift 2 here and there and a little bit of Shank 2.
    Aside from that though my PS3 is mainly being used for 24 and Dexter on Netflix which are 2 of the finest programmes i’ve watched and have the advantage of no waiting for new episodes.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:13.
  4. Mickey2010
    Since: Jan 2010

Nothing really had on or two matches on Fifa Street,did a mission on Mass Effect 3 and Had a quick play of shank or shift! about 4 hours of gaming this week! i have been watching alot of Netflix and am hooked on Heroes why the hell didnt i watch this before

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:23.
  5. Eldave0
    andUandU

*Thinks back*
    Over the Easter weekend I rented a copy of RE:ORC, which is actually terrible, even to someone like me who is a huge fan of the series. Played it through once (which equates to about 4hours game play) before returning it. Roll on RE6!

Made a start on Vanquish, a game that has been on my shelf (still in its wrapper) for almost a year. Excellent little game, though the dialogue is insanely bad so I’ve found myself playing muted with Machine Head set on full blast instead…

Picked up a cheap copy of Halo Anniversary so I’ve played a bit of that. I’m no Halo fanboy but that game has definitely stood the test of time. Excellent game, just a shame about the repetitive environments.

Finally I tried the Skullgirls demo, which is great but a little too hardcore for a noobie like me :)

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:26.
  6. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

Finished off Unit 13 (RIP Zipper) and get myself the Plat, and finally got through Uncharted Golden Abyse on Crushing. If It wasnt for Sully walking blindly into AK47 fire time after time, I probably would have done it weeks ago.
    Enjoyed a bit of Shank 2 multiplayer too and the constant amusment of dropping your team mate intomeat grinders. ooops!

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:28.
  7. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

a bit of escape plan, after that change the patch did, I am quite enjoying the game, some Unit 13.

On ps3 a bit of everything, Mas effect & Shank 2 mainly I never thought I would back track on my gaming freaking Uni assignments ruining things

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:34.
  8. R1MJAW

I’ve not played much on PS3 this week, just Dirt 3 at the meets and a little Ridge Racer Unbounded. However on Vita I’ve played quite a bit … finished off 2049 season in Wipeout, played numerous rounds of Everybody’s Golf and over the last few days I’ve been pretty much only playing Ridge Racer … in fact I’ve just unlocked the Devil Car so if anyone needs the Devil’s gift just gimme a shout (PSN ID is same as my TSA ID).

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:35.
  9. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve mostly been playing on my Vita this week – so lots of Motorstorm RC, some Everybody’s Golf, Tactics Ogre, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and then a bit of Treasures Of Montezuma too. I think the only PS3 game I’ve played is Shift 2 which I spend more time trying to beat my friend’s times than progressing in the game! If anyone else is playing my PSN ID is TheCityWake.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 13:48.
  10. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Just Vita this week, level 45 on Wipeout 2048 with half the MP campaign to complete for my Platinum.

And completed Golden Abyss this morning and have started my Crushing playthrough. Fantastic game, almost as good as U2 in my opinion. Prefered the shorted chapters, but more of them. Sadly there were no vehicle set pieces or mini-bosses though.

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 14:27.
    • JigsawPieces
      Since: Sep 2010

Level 45! I’m going to be toast, if I make it to a 2048 meet ;)

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 14:31.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Lol. To be fair, at least with combat, it’s luck depending on what weapons you pick up! There’s not much difference in the ships! :)

Comment posted on 13/04/2012 at 14:42.