Media Apps Unlocked For Xbox Live Silver This Weekend

Silver streamers.

This weekend, Silver XBox Live members will be able to sample the media applications. Microsoft is set to unlock all of the media apps for everyone, not just Gold subscribers.

Regular readers will know that I’m a huge fan of the streaming applications on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. I love the access to HDTV and movies via Netflix, Music videos on MuzoTV and even the YouTube and DailyMotion webclips that I can waste some time with. This is a great chance for Silver subscribers to take a look at what the Xbox Live service has to offer and see if it’s worth paying that Gold subscription for it.

Here is the selection that’s being unlocked, although you’ll still need to be a subscriber to the relevant services in order to log into them.

Source: Xbox.com

1. psychobudgie

It’s times like this when I realise how fortunate I am to have a PS3 and not have to worry about paying a fee to use things I already can access for sod all.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 10:38.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

me too, why should you have to pay more to access things like this?

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 10:50.
    • colossalblue
      Team TSA: Editor

It is a bit silly that they make you have a Gold subscription in order to do something as basic as look at DailyMotion clips but it has also been my experience that the connection is much more stable and usable than the PS3 streaming apps. 4OD is a broken mess on PS3, works just about okay on 360, for example. Netflix very occasionally stalls and buffers on my PS3 – I switch off and watch it from my 360 perfectly (but with a slightly poorer quality picture). I’d pay £35 a year for the PSN to be as reliable as Live through my 100Mb connection.

Also, you don’t pay for this, you pay for the whole service, which is mostly excellent and, in my opinion, well worth the money over the PS3′s free-but-not-quite-as-good service. It’s a choice you make, like subscribing to PS+ (which I also think is worth every penny).

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 11:00.
      • psychobudgie

I regularly use my PS3 to watch Lovefilm, iPlayer, Netflix and they all work just as well as they do on my PC. Never had any issues with lag or buffering and I’m on a rather average 8mb sky broadband package.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 11:09.
      • stage1
        Since: Feb 2012

I couldn’t imagine having to pay to use free services, so even though it looks like MS are being kind to users it’s just one of their marketing ploys to gain new gold memberships.

Pretty shameful.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 11:30.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

I have used both & they are no different connection wise never had a problem with PSN or live.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 12:12.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

you are paying for these apps you can get free elsewhere. I’ve not had any problems with Netflix or 4Od on the ps3 for example. It’s a marketing ploy to make you think you are getting more for your money, when infact, you are not.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 12:14.
    • wonkey-willy
      Since: Jan 2010

free since when has love film been free…?blink box?net flix.crackle?do these not require a subscription fee so technically not free? but i see where you are coming from the fact that its for gold subs..

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 12:12.
      • Forrest_01

From the end of the article;

“although you’ll still need to be a subscriber to the relevant services in order to log into them.”

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 12:25.
  2. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

how generous of them :)

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 10:50.
  3. wirralsman
    Since: Oct 2010

Shame that sky, lovefilm, netflix etc aren’t giving away a free weekend to all these customers to try and get them to subscribe to their offerings as well.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 13:23.
    • McProley
      Since: Aug 2011

Lovefilm are constantly sending me 3 months free to pass on to friends. Also, Netflix has a 1 month trial

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 13:41.
    • psychobudgie

Bar Sky, they all run free trial programs as far as I’m aware. Netflix and Lovefilm run 1 month trial subs with the latter occasionally running 3 month trials.

Comment posted on 18/04/2012 at 13:42.