Bethesda Clears The Air Over Reported Prey 2 Cancellation

Preying for more info soon.

Bethesda has issued a statement, just emailed over to us, about the rumours of a Prey 2 cancellation. The good news is that it is still very much in development. Unfortunately, there’s bad news too: it won’t be released in 2012 as previously planned.

Here’s the full statement:

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.

Okay, you can commence with your jokes about bugs now…

Source: Press release.

1. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

Oh thank god! I’m glad it’s just still in development, I absolutely LOVED last years E3 trailer for the game and the vibe it gave off, if it’s even close to that if will be a definite day one buy, regardless of whether it’s buggy or not (I can deal with a few bugs in a game, hell, I loved Skyrim on PS3 and Fallout 3 on PC).

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 15:09.
    • colossalblue
      Team TSA: Editor

I totally agree, it looked fantastic. I couldn’t understand the rumours of a cancellation!

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 15:11.
      • SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
        Since: May 2011

I’m so glad! the look of this game it was going to be in my top games this year, but I guess that will have to wait till next year now. And yes I don’t care if it’s buggy I will persevere and carry on.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 15:18.
      • jikomanzoku
        Since: Jan 2010

Whilst I agree that trailer was awesome (gotta love anything that uses Cash’s cover of Rusty Cage) the lack of much gameplay footage and the standard of that gameplay footage set alarm bells ringing a while back for me. Pleased that it’s not cancelled as the premise and style were potentially promising and that Bethesda see the worth in extending the development process rather than knocking out toss or cancelling.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 08:43.
  2. hazelam

they have quality standards? O_O

^_^

anyway.
    the premise of the game did look interesting, so i’m glad it’s still being worked on.

better late and good than on time and bugged to hell.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 15:18.
    • Sympozium

Hm would be bad if it was bugged, a shame but I don’t think it’ll be too bad as it shouldn’t be open world luckily.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 17:40.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Shocking isn’t it… Thought PS3 was their quality testing platform.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 19:10.
  3. Eldave0
    andUandU

Damn Prey and your topsy-turvy game play. Only game to ever make me physically ill.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 16:18.
  4. Sympozium

I want Prey on the PS3, thought it was a nice game but hardly played it before I traded in the Xbox, sadly it could struggle on my PC if I ever got my hands on it. So I’m glad Prey 2 is alive could be interesting and with Dishonored Beth is on a roll with two games that’s bound to be worth getting excited for.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 16:26.
  5. RocketSOL
    Since: Oct 2008

Glad it’s not cancelled. Also glad it’s delayed to improve the quality of the game. Yup, that’s about it.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 18:41.
  6. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one Bugthesda. Wait, they are serious? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Didn’t know that they knew what Quality Standards are. :O Am glad that they are delaying it to fix and improve the game unlike most publishers nowadays who release it in a half completed state and patch the bugs in later.

Comment posted on 19/04/2012 at 19:42.