Feature

What We Played #50

The one with an atomic weight of roughly 196.966.

Welcome to WWP’s Golden Jubilee edition. Sort of, if weeks were years and sometimes it does feel like I’ve been writing these for a lifetime. We don’t have any celebrations planned and can’t offer you an extra bank holiday but at least Tuffcub’s been enjoying some golden gaming courtesy of the PS Vita’s Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

After struggling “for weeks” to find out how to “get the rubbing off the last fecking statue” his fingers finally made their way to the YouTube’s search box. His fingers have also been doing the walking across his PS Vita’s screen while he plays Treasures of Montezuma Blitz.

I think the developers have made a bit of a cock up here. Each day you get a number of ‘lives’ to play the game, run out of lives and you have to buy some more using real cash. The thing is, the Vita is a portable experience so most people will only play the game for a few minutes – I play it for the 15 minutes I’m on the tube and there is just enough lives to last the journey, as a result, I’m never going to give Alawar any cash.

Retro-tastic platforming action in 8-bit Night which aims to give 2D gaming an exciting new perspective.
Many of you will be aware of the cause of the ‘fun’ Alex has been having this past week. “I’ve been playing ‘trying to keep the server alive’. On holiday. 1/10.” The mere fact you’re reading this though means he’s platinumed the game though he’s likely not hoping for a sequel.

Chris hasn’t been indulging in any PS3-hosted gaming either with his speed bump-profiles box relegated to streaming duties. His disillusionment with console gaming, which at times it is hard not to share, is still leaving him looking elsewhere for his gaming kicks.

This week saw me fire up the charming and utterly amazing 8-bit Night. A retro-styled platformer in which you flip the level along its x or y axis to reach previously inaccessible areas and to avoid the bad guys. If you’re a Windows user you can grab the 8-bit Night demo from Desura along with the full game for only £2.99, which is an absolute bargain.

Probably still recovering from his Free-2-Play efforts Jim’s also been playing comparatively little this week. He’s dabbled with Dead Island and had a run around in Uncharted 3’s multiplayer. Yet tugging him away from his console is the nominally Free-2-Play Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes.

To his surprise, especially as he’s “always despised Player vs Player encounters in MMOs”, he keeps sinking around an hour a day into playing a game which consists of nothing other than PvP gaming. “I even plan to throw the odd tenner at it every few weeks”, which must surely be the best recommendation that you should give the game a try if you can and haven’t.

My own gaming has been a scant hour or two of Skyrim, surely you’ve all found time to do better than that?

1. Mickey2010
    Since: Jan 2010

Been playing quite abit of the older games i have in my collection this week COD Classic,Sly Cooper 2,Splinter Cell Chaos Theory,Crazy Taxi and Formula 1 Championship Edition.

Also had a few rounds on Ghost Recon in the TSA meet with Indigo! and completed a few missions on the new and improved Prototype which is truely awesome! i hated the first game aswell which is suprising.Oh tried to have a go on Euro 2012 but Ea need analy raped.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 10:35.
  2. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

This week I’ve continued to chug through Valkyria Chronicles, and then quite a lot Patapon 3 on my Vita since the price dropped on PSN. Mass Effect 3 is still sitting unplayed though, and now Dragons Dogma is on its way too and I still have a giant pile of stuff to try from the Game fire sale :-/

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 10:41.
  3. Origami Killer

Not a lot from me this week. On the Vita it has been the daily play of TOM:Blitz and Wipeout 2048, which I think is brilliant! :)
    On the PS3 I have boringly just been playing Pure Chess, and loosing to the easy difficulties :p Did have a quick go on shatter and golf mania mini.
    Not a lot though, hope to get back into Dark Souls and find some time for MGS 4

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 10:46.
    • Crazy_Del

Crap! Forgot to mention Vita too. Didn’t play much but been updating NEAR every evening for the Uncharted Black Market ;)

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 11:24.
      • Origami Killer

I also have been updating NEAR, do I not have you on PSN as I never get anything from you :L thought I did have you added :P Jigsaw and colm seem to send me the most trades on UC :)

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:09.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

Probably something to do with me refreshing NEAR once an hour.
        Still have only completed one bounty set though. :(

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:12.
      • Crazy_Del

Huh strange well add me today around 7pm I gotta delete a person that has been unrelaible on Skate 3 last night and no he is not from TSA. Deleted him last night but it took 15mins later and is still a friend? Going to try again as soon as I get home after work

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:20.
      • Origami Killer

Will do :)

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:40.
      • Origami Killer

Also forgot to mention I have been playing F1 2011 to death…literally if kirk reads this :P how could I forget that!

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:41.
  4. Roynaldo
    Since: Nov 2008

I spent the vast majority of my unscheduled day off work hacking and slashing my way through Devil May Cry 1. Made it to level 16 without dying (trying to get a trophy for not continuing the whole game). Now its starting to get a bit tough but looking forward to a weekend of continuing the collection while taking regular football breaks.

Living the dream.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 11:21.
  5. TSBonyman

Agree about TomBlitz, the crystal packs either too small to be worthwhile or too expensive. (I would give the game a full-price of somewhere under a fiver if they went that route). Oh well, i still enjoy dipping in every day.(btw using the bonus tokens cost 100 crystals per play so if you remove the token from the slot you can still play if you have less than 100 crystals left)ColmShan1990 certainly raised the bar this week so i’ve got my work cut out to beat him! :)
    Besides that it’s just been Syndicate which is great. Also i begrudgingly tried the Tiger woods 13 demo and i must say i’m impressed and this might be the first TW game i’ll buy for a few years.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 11:34.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

Haha, did I?
      I’m not even in the top 3 on mine. From TSA, OrigamiKiller has 326,800! That’s about 5 times by score!

I agree with you on the crystals though- it’s beyond annoying how few we get, although I didn’t know until now that you can spend less than 250 crystals per play (if you remove both the totem and bonus it’s free).
      I’d happily pay a one-time fee of up to €10 to just forget about crystals entirely and just play the game (even with the 5 lives per day thing still there) but I’m not going to pay for crystals- eventually they’ll run out and I’d have to pay again.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 11:48.
      • Origami Killer

Haha! Didnt think my score was that good :P I tend to rely on the daily scratch card for crystals, bagged 40,000 today :D Then i get rid of any bonuses or totems so I dont spend. Takes about 30mins then for lives to get back to 5 then. :) Love the game.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:08.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

40,000?!
        There was a time last week where 5 days in a row I got 200 crystals. I didn’t know I could spend less by removing the totems and bonuses, and well…
        I wasn’t happy, let me tell you that. :P

And you got that monster score without using the totems and bonuses? I assumed/hoped you had upgraded them and got some powerful bonuses. :O

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:17.
      • Origami Killer

Yeah got lucky with that! had that twice now actually. I didnt realize until about 2 weeks ago. Got the 300,000+ without bonuses. I am a God as I dont want to die :P

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:29.
      • TSBonyman

326,800! That’s impressive … and upsetting :/

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:49.
  6. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Virtua Tennis, Motorstorm RC, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Super Stardust Delta, Tales from Space, Wipeout 2048, Treasures of Montezuma Blitz, Escape Plan, Rayman Origins, Final Fantasy Tactics, hell even Welcome Park!

As you can probably tell, the Vita has destroyed my ambitions of a good week of study right before the exams start next Monday. :(

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 11:40.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

Forgot to mention Jetpack Joyride on iPad- it’s had a substantial update too, and I beat my own high score! :)

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 14:54.
  7. R1MJAW

This week has been mainly Tiger Woods 13 on PS3, EBG and VT4 on Vita, though I did pick up MNR yesterday so I’ve played that a little.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 12:44.
  8. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

Ben 10 Galactic Racing on the Vita. Scoff at me all you want but for a Kart racer, its better than Mod Nation Roadtrip.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 13:12.
    • element666
      Since: Mar 2012

Is it really good mate?was thinking of getting it for my nephew,something to play together.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 14:04.
  9. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

Had a couple of wipeout meets which were awesome fun :)
    Vita wise its been unit 13 and little deviants.
    ps3 wise picked up walking dead which i think is brilliant,the story just sucks you in! been playing new vegas ultimate edition,got fed up when it turned into a glitchy mess,lol , and finally helped kronik,del and forrest get the most annoying trophy on skate 3.Quite a lot this week really :)

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 14:02.
  10. TheDemocrodile

played some FMH 2012 on my SGS2 whilst going retro and playing through Total Annihilation, brilliant game.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 14:23.
    • LTG Davey
      andUandU

TA was, and still is, ruddy awesome! I remember playing it at tonnes of LAN parties when I was younger :D

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 14:41.
      • TheDemocrodile

picked it up from GOG, runs perfectly on Win7-64bit ;)

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 22:27.