You

WeView: Battlefield 3

Love is a battlefield.

So after a few weeks of picking more niche titles, it seems like it’s time to come back with a big hitter, and they don’t get much bigger than EA’s Battlefield 3. The amount of exposure and advertising the game was given last year was absolutely incredible, outweighing pretty much every other title. The big release finally came after months of hype in October, and we actually got to see what all the earthquakes in the trailers were about.

Personally I felt the game’s single player started well, but when it turned to the early night-time section I got frustrated and then bored. Ultimately I gave up and haven’t returned to the title since. Fortunately, Alex is a bit more patient than I and managed to finish the single player for our review.

We’ll get to the multiplayer in a moment, but whilst Alex found a number of issues with the game, in particular the fact that it can’t stick to its own rules, he was pleased to call the campaign “surprisingly good”. Rating the single player at 7/10 he had this to say about the game in conclusion:

You can’t blame DICE and EA for the direction Battlefield 3 has taken.  There’s a decent game here, but it’s nothing – beyond the special effects and presentation – that we’ve not played before.  The AI might be smart and your squad at least can fire for themselves, but when it’s the same thing each time, ad verbatim, you can’t help but wish for something a little bit more freeform, dynamic and tactical rather than a roller coaster ride through the Middle East.

Switching gears to the multiplayer now, it was Matt who looked at that aspect of the game. Whilst I’m not all that interested in the multiplayer content of most games, although I’m not above a bit of Gears of War co-op, it certainly seems to have come to the forefront of many console titles this generation. Many of the complaints with the game’s multiplayer were technical, talking about server issues and alike. Hopefully you can tell us to what extent these have now been resolved, but for now here’s a quick extract from what Matt had to say:

Once we made it on to a server and in to a properly running game, we found Battlefield 3 to be one of the most intense and enjoyable multiplayer experiences we’ve ever had. Unfortunately, technical issues absolutely devastated the launch of this game and have likely left a very deep scar on the Battlefield community. Any fan of the franchise or modern shooters in general should definitely give Battlefield 3’s multiplayer a shot, but at least for the moment, be prepared to fight through some mean bush to reach the good stuff.

With all of that said, it’s time to ask you for your opinions of the game. Did you think EA’s gamble in putting so much into the title paid off, or does it fail in comparison to its peers? Did DICE manage to pull off a technical tour-de-force, or did it not leave up to the high expectations it had? Even if it was technically impressive, was the gameplay lacking? Of course maybe you just think the game is without fault, and you can’t get enough of it.

Wherever you fall on the scale of opinions it’s time to make your voice heard. All you need to do to take part is drop a comment below with you opinon. Remember that your comment needs to include a final verdict of the game on the Buy It, Bargain Bin It, Rent It or Avoid It scale. Just select one of those four categories and make sure you include it somewhere in your comment.

Finally, you need to make sure you have your comment in by Sunday afternoon, as at that point I’ll have started to write Monday’s verdict post.

Read more: # #
  1. SpikeyMikey23

The online is quite difficult to get decent at now. Tried it the other night for a break from my MW obsession, Igt my arse handed to me every game. Expert pilots ruined it for me. And spawn camping is rife (from what i experienced recently) ….. The map where you start on the ship and attack the beach (not wake island etc, theoriginal bf3 map) our team just couldnt get past the camping pricks on the beach, when i did manage to slip (swim!) past and planted a spawn in an ideal position, none of the camping gits would use it! They stayedon the boat and had a sniper wankfest! Rant over!

Looking forward to MOH!

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 18:20.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

I have a few faved custom servers, where spawn trapping/teamkilling 4vehicles, incurrs a perm ban.

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 18:29.
    • david24
      Since: Feb 2011

you could always play conquest?

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 18:52.
    • Forrest_01

Yeah, that sounds like you hit a bad map with bad players, nothing more to it than that really. Sounds like your team were battered back from the beginning & then just gave up (which clearly you didn’t, as you were still pushing forwards).

I personally would say that games like that are actually pretty rare these days. A bit unfortunate you managed to land in that one actually by the sounds of it.

Comment posted on 02/05/2012 at 09:21.
  2. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

bf3 rocks,especially with new cust servers. Just next time put some worthwhile updates into ingame b.feed, who wants to know j.bloggs unlocked a sil & a red dot

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 18:23.
  3. minerwilly

Best shooter ive ever played online on PS3 since BFBC2 … aww just this second heard Stephen Hendrys retired .

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 21:14.
    • david24
      Since: Feb 2011

who’s Stephen hendry?

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 21:20.
      • Forrest_01

The snooker player? Didn’t know he appeared in BF3 to be honest! :P

Comment posted on 02/05/2012 at 09:18.
  4. cam_manutd

Battlefield has a place in the FPS market sandwiched between the likes of Call of Duty and Operation Flashpoint/Rainbow Six. Single player is pretty standard gung-ho FPS drivel. One man stopping cataclysmic scenario’s without giving away anything.

Multiplayer is where Battlefield is at and it excels to a certain degree. Vehicles are well implemented with Jets and Heli’s soaring overhead providing infinite distraction with tanks and jeeps on the ground not to mention camping snipers. The game plays extremely well and is mostly solid. Recoil and control is important in the game as it can make a difference between killing or getting killed.

Graphically it doesn’t stand up well on consoles at least. Compared to COD, it does not shine as much and stand out. While on the downsides, the sense of familiarity especially after Bad Company 2 and MOH is overwhelming. Yes DICE do a great job and a starting to supersede Activision yet something has to change. Standard modes mostly with the exception of rush and the familiarity in levelling up, in game tactics does not present the FPS gamer with a lot of creative play. Gamers can walk into this and play it like COD while getting some success. Try and play COD then Killzone 2. The definition of adaptation does not quite cut it.

Anyway, Battlefield is a well made shooter and does what we all expect it too. Shooters like these need to change and with BLOPS 2 reveal of going futuristic might be the impetus to go forth. If you don’t have any FPS at all or just woke up yesterday then this is a must. However, COD4, Killzone 2+3, Resistance 2+3, MAG and Medal Of Honor players have no need for this.

Taking the middle ground to rent it.

Comment posted on 01/05/2012 at 23:52.
  5. justboy
    Since: Jul 2010

While the throwaway plot in single player takes the shine off the game as a whole, the great graphics and fun team based multiplayer really makes it stand out in an over crowed genre.
    Buy it!

Comment posted on 02/05/2012 at 07:57.
  6. Pritchie101
    Since: Aug 2011

Battlefield 3: The biggest disappointment of last year. (Excluding Duke Nukem Forever, of course.)
    The gameplay was slow and heavy, and was insanely repetitive.
    However, Frostbite 2 is amazing with its destructive cover, and absoulutely brilliant graphics.
    It’s good looking, but is overall not too good.
    It’s a BARGAIN BIN IT from me, folks.

Comment posted on 02/05/2012 at 20:39.
    • david24
      Since: Feb 2011

how the hell is battlefield 3 “insanely repetitive”?

Comment posted on 02/05/2012 at 21:01.
      • Forrest_01

Sounds like he is just talking about the singleplayer tbh. He goes on to say:

“You didn’t get to know the characters, you didn’t feel for them during dark times.”

Which i don’t see how that could relate to the multiplayer in any way.

Comment posted on 03/05/2012 at 11:13.
      • david24
        Since: Feb 2011

well that does make a bit more sense but still its no more repetitive then any other linear shooter, i’d say less so since it does try to mix it up a bit with jet, tanks and sniping missions in amongst the standard infantry sections.

Comment posted on 03/05/2012 at 13:17.
  7. TROPtastic
    Since: Mar 2011

Well for me personally, as a huge Battlefield fan (having played every game since Battlefield 2 and owning Bad Company 1 + 2), Battlefield 3 is a bit of a mixed bag.

First of all, the singleplayer. While at first I did not have very high expectations for it, DICE and EA’s extensive praise of the singleplayer campaign definitely hyped it for me. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed when I finished it. While there were some excellent gameplay moments, such as the tank battles in Thunder Run and the sniping sections in Night Shift, some areas of the campaign were definitely lack lustre, such as the bugged AI in Operation Guillotine. The campaign ends very abruptly, without really explaining why the US [spoiler alert] ends up fighting RU forces in so many locations, especially in supposedley irradiated Paris. All in all, I wouldn’t get this for the singleplayer.

Multiplayer: The multiplayer is DICE’s strong point in BF3. I’m not even going over co-op since there is little point without split-screen, and most of the co-op missions are rather uninspiring. Multiplayer is very well done, and with the new patch, the game is fairly well balanced. There is still a fair amount of bugs in mp, but they are (for the most part) not game-breaking, so if you like the overall gameplay (which is amazing with helicopters and jets and ground vehicles, the mp mode will be good.

Overall, I think Battlefield 3 is a pretty good game. If you cannot or will not play multiplayer, I would not recommend buying it, otherwise:
    Buy It.

Comment posted on 03/05/2012 at 04:32.
  8. Moakesice
    Since: Jan 2009

Battlefield 3 for me is a breath of fresh air, even though I love BC2 better due to the amount of hours I put into it, I still never got to level 50 either :(, but battlefield 3 is a game I gave up on MW3 for, I found I couldn’t play both games, I love battlefield more and found that playing MW3 which we all know is pick up and play, I`m not a COD hater but MW3 for me was just an update for the other games in the series not a serious sequel, to be honest I think I prefer the other COD games, like I loved Blops, maybe its just MW series I don’t like, but this is my opinion and mine alone, but with battlefield 3 bought us the brilliant Frostbite 2 engine, I mean the destruction isn’t as “destructive” as BC2 but there are still sometimes I catch abit of scenery out the corner of my eye and the sheer polish of the graphics that still make me feel this is an epic engine. As for on-line, I love playing with alot of the TSAers, and when you get into a squad with your mates and play together, you can be unstoppable, I understand there will always be a Battlefield and COD divide and the COD titles will always sell more because they could easily just release a game ever year and just change the maps and story and the menu colours and people will buy it in the millions…*looks at MW3* without changing the main premise or anything significant, I think the COD series could do with a big change, Battlefield 3 is the beginning of where the series is going, so in my opinion, BUY IT

Comment posted on 03/05/2012 at 07:51.
  9. stanley1664
    Since: Feb 2011

as for the basecamp kills it does piss me off that they blow the shit out of your chopper or jump in it and steal from you..but this gives me more incentive to kill these mother fuckers..if you all work together as a team this can easily be overcome

Comment posted on 03/05/2012 at 16:53.
    • david24
      Since: Feb 2011

thats what the aa guns are mean’t for, just a shame no one ever uses them properly.

Comment posted on 04/05/2012 at 00:11.