Blockbuster's New Loyalty Scheme Offers Good Return

Every little helps.

Remember when Blockbuster was just the place you nipped into when you wanted to rent Rambo on VHS? Well, it’s come on a little way since those days and in recent months has really stepped up its marketing pitch to gamers.

Today they’re launching VIP Gamer, a new loyalty scheme which offers a really good return on your money. For every pound you spend in store or online, you can earn 100 points. You can earn bonus points for pre-ordering with them, buying certain games, renting games and even just for watching trailers on their website. They’re even going to be giving away loyalty points for entering competitions.

Loyalty schemes are nothing new, of course, but this one seems to be a more effective way of earning discounts than most. There’s a levelling mechanic that unlocks new ways of earning points or vouchers that you can print to use in store or use online.

At the very top end of those unlockable levels is the ability to spend your points on a new console. For 360,000 points (£3,600 spent, not including free bonus points) you can get a free Xbox 360 and for 450,000 points (a £4,500 spend, excluding any bonus points) you can get a free PlayStation 3.

At current in-store GAME Reward Card loyalty rates, a new 4GB Xbox 360 would cost the equivalent of 64,000 points, or a £6,400 spend. A free PS3 under GAME’s loyalty scheme would run to an £8,000 spend.

Source: Press release

1. Crocadillian
    Since: Feb 2011

Not bad, but the thought of going into such a store triggers my survival instincts as a warning. It’s just not safe!

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 13:50.
  2. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

Are those points transferable between stores? The reason I stopped trading in games at Blackbuster was that you could only use the credit at that store.

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 13:56.
    • gaffers101
      Since: Oct 2008

Blackbuster – what’s that Blockbuster!!

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 13:56.
    • galerion
      Since: May 2012

You link a online account to your store accounts and redeem the points online or as vouchers etc.
      Store credit has always been transferable you just have to ask the staff to put it on a gift card.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 18:47.
  3. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

You used the £3,600 spent and “free” right next to each other ;)

I dunno, this sounds good but the prices of games are already quite expensive.

The question is is it worth buying a more expensive game at Blockbuster in the hope of earning lots of points in the long run, instead of buying the game cheaper at, say, Amazon?

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 14:01.
  4. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Cool beans. I buy all my games from my local Blockbuster these days. Was going to pre-order a couple of games with them yesterday so I’m glad I held fire until these new scheme came into place :)

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 14:19.
  5. aycizzle
    Since: Feb 2012

My local blockbuster is usually cheaper than the competition (excluding the internet) I picked up heavy rain, modnation racers, la noire for £11 each only months after their releases.

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 14:19.
  6. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Blockbuster are pretty good for ex-rental purchases or pre-owned, you can get some real bargains in there, but I’ve never bought anything new in there and don’t think I’ll be signing up to this scheme to do so.
    Still, it’s good they’re trying to be competitive, extra competition means better pricing all round, right?

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 14:40.
  7. Pemberton_
    Since: Nov 2008

I thought Blockbuster were not going to be around for much longer? Bankruptcy? Administration?

Maybe I’m getting confused with the U.S. chain. Do they share anything besides the name?

I mean, if I was unsure of the stability of the brand, I wouldn’t find much incentive to try and save points there knowing I might never get to use them.

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 14:45.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

US chain went tits up, UK stil OK.

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 15:58.
  8. Zephyre

Think there’s a problem with the numbers in the last paragraph

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 15:52.
    • Zephyre

Oops, no there’s not, just being dense. Sorry

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 15:54.
  9. SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
    Since: May 2011

I buy a lot of my games in store as I’m still not confident in online postage times, being proven by Zavvi when I brought the latest Naruto and got it 5 days late.
    But Blockbusters stock is awful.

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 16:58.
    • UKZ-N3M1515

Also proven by Play.com when i bought LBP 2 on the 8th, posted on the 10th (Bank holiday weekend). And guess what, its not the 9th of the next month ,and no game… really got to ring them, last purchase i ever make online, since it was the first one and its really thrown me off now.

Comment posted on 09/05/2012 at 01:00.
  10. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

Comparison brought this to life. Cheers TSA ^_^

Comment posted on 08/05/2012 at 22:43.