EX Troopers Trailer Offers a Different View of Lost Planet

Anime Planet.

Capcom has released a trailer for its Lost Planet spin off, EX Troopers. It’s a cell shaded art style but set in the same universe as the Lost Planet games. Weirdly, as we reported yesterday, it’s due for release on the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo 3DS. That’s a strange pairing.

Obviously the art style here is very different but below the video, in the gallery, are some comparison shots, uncovered by Superannuation from the guys at Hachimaki, which show some similarities.

Did anyone like Lost Planet games enough to want spin off games in different art styles? Here are those comparison shots:

Source: YouTube

Read more:
  1. Bilbo_bobbins

I really don’t see the appeal to this comic style of gaming. Think it just looks weird.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 10:02.
    • Forrest_01

I usually like cel-shaded games (borderlands & the darkness are a good couple of examples off the top of my head), but those shots above look, well, crappy.

Can’t say i’m impressed to be honest.

Are they perhaps 3DS shots that they are comparing to LP2?

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 10:28.
      • igotmy9milli
        Since: Apr 2010

Love Lost Planet, just a shame the art isn’t very good or could’ve been quite cool.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 10:38.
      • colossalblue
        Team TSA: Editor

I think it’s shots grabbed form the video being compared to rendered screengrabs of LP3. So the video shots will always have a lot more compression, artefacting and blurring on them because they’re grabbed in motion.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 10:59.
      • carson321

It actually reminds me of the game 13 on PS2, that was a good game

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 11:03.
      • Forrest_01

@cb – Yeah, you have a point & i didn’t take that into consideration.

Still, i think i’ll wait & see what the finished product looks (& more importantly reviews) like when its out.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 11:31.
  2. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

I like it. Hope the gameplay and story are good :)

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 10:26.
  3. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Ni No Kuni has the same platform preference (DS instead of 3DS though). I guess it has to do with popularity.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 11:52.
  4. Kreisash

Actually really like the look of this although does remind me a lot of Eureka 7. Game play wise it looks a lot more fluid than LP2 and more importantly more fun. I also like the little bits of detail (like the comic style written sound effects).

I just hope that the games is fun/there is a decent multiplayer.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 12:40.
  5. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

Wow! could not make it through that trailer at all, the music turned me off it ten seconds in, and to be honest imo the cell shaded art style just doesn’t click with me on this one.

Comment posted on 17/05/2012 at 22:28.