Feature

What We Played #53

The one that starts year two.

Now the controversy has died down and we are all left waiting to see whether Bioware will indulge in any retconning in the forthcoming DLC, Aran has got around to finishing Mass Effect 3. While it was “fantastic” overall he agrees the ending was “a bit of a let down”.

He’s also been suffering from a bad case of Starhawk-envy having “played a ridiculous number of hours of Warhawk”. It would appear the most fun he had was when he channeled Altaïr and commenced running around with a knife. That does bring back memories of some of the bizarre spinning knife duels I’ve had in Warhawk over the years.

He loves his Power Glove.
Appealing to the well understood ‘collector gene’ that is often present in gamers, Skylanders has been remarkably successful. Aran’s the latest victim of this “fun game” with a well designed “portal and character hardware”. Given the Wii U tablet’s NFC capabilities I’ve heard it said that all Nintendo need to do to ensure the console’s success is bring out a Pokémon clone of Skylanders and bundle a Pikachu character for it with every console. And you know what, that would probably work.

When it come to his last game this week we find evidence that Aran has graduated from the Alex School of Hyperbole:

And, finally, Journey again. This game will help change the future of gaming and it sends a message to other devs that a game doesn’t have to be complicated to be a masterpiece. Journey may be the only game that has actually got a round of applause from me on completion.

He’s clearly at odds with the likes of myself and Tuffcub who agree Journey’s good, but probably not as good as Flower. Discuss.

Speaking of Tuffcub he’s given his PS Vita a damn good seeing to this week with his games played rundown consisting of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Treasures of Montezuma Blitz, Velocity, Floating Cloud God, Super Stardust Delta and Mortal Kombat.

Peter owns up to playing “loads this week” before clarifying that with “well, little bits of loads, not actually a lot of anything”. Loads has included continuing his Football Manager career, the first couple of missions in Starhawk and a peculiar game of ordering but not downloading Diablo III. It’s probably wise to wait until the demand on the servers drops back a bit though.

I’ve also been playing quite a lot of Minecraft 360 Edition. I never really understood all the hype about it, despite owning it on PC/Mac for ages. I resented the baffling crafting and total lack of any hints as to what you should or could be doing. Minecraft on the 360 sidesteps that by making crafting simple and hosting a brief tutorial. There’s just enough information told to you that you can get started while still leaving things for you to discover. I definitely wouldn’t say I’ve turned into one of those odd Notch fanboys that I seem to bump into so often around the internet but I definitely understand the appeal a little better now.

As for myself, I finally broke the shrink-wrap on my copy of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception at a friend’s urging to join them for a spot of co-op. So far so Uncharted, I’ll have to find time to give the single player a go sometime but I’ve struggled to drum up any enthusiasm for the game despite pre-ordering it.

Even Nate Drake plays Journey.
ToM Blitz gets an almost daily play to fill the odd minute or two as does Velocity while Ridge Racer seems to have secured a regular place in my PS Vita’s card slot as it is still a fantastic drift racer that’s easy to drop into for a quick race. Alex is certainly right about the poor state of its DLC on the store though.

My PS3 has seen some Rock Band 3 action plus the regular weekly Gran Turismo 5 session though there’s been no Skyriming this week. I did try a bunch of the month’s PS+ titles including Ricochet HD, Hamster Ball and Sky Fighters but none for much more than a handful of seconds. I may have tried some of the others but their blandness has let them slip from my mind.

Whoring it up in Saints Row: The Third we find Toby, appropriately playing the games Whored Mode. “It’s easy just to switch on and play for fifteen minutes of fun – perfect when you’re trawling through pages and pages of AS revision.” I guess his results will reflect exactly how wise that particular combination was.

Yet another of us hanging out on their PS Vita more than anything else is Keith who’s still engrossed with Hot Shots Golf and Unit 13. He’s dabbled with a bit of FIFA too “but using the back touch screen makes scoring far too easy”. Are your PS Vitas holding your attention like ours are?

Meanwhile Dan is unable to tell us what he’s been playing as he’s been too busy secret squirrelling, which he assures me is not dogging with midgets.

How about you?

1. nofi
    One for all.

Minecraft. Bought, but not played yet. Tonight…

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:16.
  2. Tomhlord
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Apr 2009

GT5, GT5, GT5. Yup, still.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:18.
  3. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Got my Vita at 16:00 yesterday, so pretty much all my time between then and now has been taken up with Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Motorstorm: RC. Apart from that, I haven’t even touched my PS3 this week, exams and that.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:20.
    • PoorPaddy89

You’re brave for buying a Vita right before exams!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 16:10.
  4. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

Skyrim, Skyrim and more Skyrim, a bit of Spec ops: The Line, which is pretty good, and then back to Skyrim.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:21.
  5. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve just got Mortal Kombat and Dungeon Hunter for my Vita so they’re keeping me busy at the moment. Waiting for MGS HD Collection and Gravity Rush

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:22.
  6. Jim Hargreaves

Finished Sniper Elite and Journey. Enjoyed the latter, beautiful game, but don’t agree that scaling back the complexity of video games is the right way to go.

Max Payne 3 also came through the letter box as well as 6 or so games to shove in the backlog. I have to say, the first couple of hours in MP3 felt kinda dull but it’s growing on me. The multiplayer is fantastic however; Gang Wars does what UC3′s Team Objective mode does on a larger, more climactic scale.

I’ve also been hitting MK Vita. A very substantive all-round package. Keep getting my ass kicked online, but at least this time its not by the unreliable net code.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:23.
    • SpikeyMikey23

play – player matches instead of Ranked. The competition is easier (not every time mind you)

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:39.
      • Jim Hargreaves

True, but I like the idea of having myself rated even if that means I’m knocked right to the bottom :)

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 15:05.
  7. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Happy New “What We Played” Year!

I Platinumed WipEout 2048 – whoop whoop – very pleased with myself, and my first entry on to the TSA Fastest Platinum leaderboard. I’m also 32nd fastest on psnprofiles too!

Keeping with the speed theme I’ve 100%’ed Sonic the Hedgehog after completing my speed-run. Finished the game in under 20 minutes but with A LOT of exiting and reloading! I’ve not started my speed run of Sonic 2 which seems much less stressful.

I participated in the Dirt 3 meet which was good fun as always, and platinumed all the gymkhana tutorials in single player.

The Awesomenauts Meet was less than awesome due to many connection problems for everyone, but thanks for everyone for attending, there were quite a few of us!

I didn’t get around to trying the new MW3 maps or the Hitman Sniper Challenge game sadly.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:23.
    • shields_t
      Since: Oct 2008

Congratulations on the 2048 platinum, some of those Elite passes are far beyond my abilities.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:19.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Thanks mate – I certainly had a few frustrating moments! Luckily the multiplayer grind was made enjoyable due to the TSA Meets, so thanks to all the guys for that! :)

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 13:21.
  8. SpikeyMikey23

Sweet F A this week. Been so busy! prob fit in some MW3 on sunday!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:38.
  9. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

I Platinumed Sega Megadrive Collection this week And have played some more Uncharted: Golden Abyss which is starting to rise in my oppinion.
    Some more Dead Space Extraction with Youles tonight and hopefully try out the new MW3 maps

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:39.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

GA is defo a grower, takes a while to get going and get your aim in!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:41.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

Its a grower AND a shower!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:42.
    • McProley
      Since: Aug 2011

Oh, I also had fun in the 5 minuets I played in the Medal of Honor meet last night before my TV blew up on me. I blame the missus cos she made me use the little one as EastCorronationFarm was on

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:41.
    • Watchful
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Oct 2008

Dr Robotnik’s MBM still stands between me and that Platinum. :(

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 15:31.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

Yup, it was my last one and it was a twat!. Must have taken me about 20 attempts i think, but it just boils down to luch in the end. its easy enough to skip to the last level using yellow, orange, blue, blue

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 15:33.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Yeah, I hate luch!

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 15:39.
      • Watchful
        Team TSA: Writer
        Since: Oct 2008

Yeah, the YOBB shortcut removes the tedium. I could just never seem to get lucky. Bean close a few times (see what I did there) but at the last second get a bunch of lines added to my side. Not tried for a while, will have to give it another go.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 15:40.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

I also found hitting the PS button helped as that pauses it but doesn’t clear the screen so you are able to plan youre next move

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 18:20.
  10. R1MJAW

The only PS3 game I’ve played this week is Prototype 2, finished it on normal and now I’m just about half way through my hard run.
    I’ve not really played my Vita much, apart from some Virtua Tennis 4 and a quick shot of Velocity, which I’ll get into once I’ve got my Prototype 2 platinum.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 12:42.
    • Mickey2010
      Since: Jan 2010

Got my Prototype platinum yesterday mate probably the easiest plat in my collection! good game though

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 21:16.
      • R1MJAW

Just finished off my hard run. Now have the platinum … number 59. Definitely not the easiest in my collection, but by no means the hardest.

Comment posted on 18/05/2012 at 23:17.