Nolan North Gets Star Trek 2 Gig On The Back Of Uncharted

Neato.

In a brief chat with Eurogamer, game voice-actor extraordinaire and all round good guy Nolan North explains how he got a small part in the second Star Trek reboot movie on the back of his work in Naughty Dog’s Uncharted.

“The reason I did [Star Trek 2] – it’s a very small role – but it’s because [J.J. Abrams] and his son are huge fans of Uncharted,” he said. “I met him doing some work on Super 8 and he said ‘We’re doing Start Trek, you wanna do it?’ And I said I’d love to.”

Nolan says that Abrams is a “huge fan of gaming” and explained that the general public don’t understand it all yet, but were “going to catch up.”

“They don’t understand how amazing this technology is and it doesn’t get the respect it deserves, but if it keeps making the money it makes you’re going to see more and more people converted,” he said, and then namechecked Gary Oldman, who did Call of Duty recently.

“He wouldn’t have done it 10 years ago. It’s a new age dawning.”

“Gaming is being held to a new standard,” he said. ”I really think Naughty Dog and Uncharted have really set the bar – the cinematic quality and story quality. I think it’s a very difficult thing to write for a game. You have to think of your story structure but also how that is incorporated into gameplay to make it a fun game.”

He references Amy Hennig and her work on Uncharted’s storylines – “it’s pretty amazing how she can so seamlessly have her story narrative lead into gameplay.”

1. E8_BALL_
    Since: Jul 2010

It would be refreshing to have a new wave of voice actors in gaming. To say North among others, has been over used, is an understatement. Don’t get me wrong, he has great talent & am pleased for him to have this new opportunity.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 07:40.
    • bigbaldwolf
      Since: Mar 2012

I agree with the voice actor statement. Some of these voice actors have done a lot of the main characters in games. I can’t complain too much because they do a very good job and they obviously get all this work for a reason

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 14:16.
  2. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

NOOORRRRRRTTTTTTHHHHHH!!!!! Sorry, just wanted to do a parody of Kirk’s KHAAAAAAAANNNNNN!! quote. I think everyone will be thinking of Drake whenever he says a line in Star Trek 2. At first, i thought it was going to be a game as he must be holding the record for the most amount of games that a VA has been in.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 08:35.
  3. Nickboss1
    Since: Mar 2010

Why dont they just make this Uncharted movie with Nolan in it. Ok so the genral public dont know who he is but they will after the film. Look at John Carter, no one knew who he was and that film was a… DOH!

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 08:46.
  4. Cutter.T

I was saw an interview where J.J. Abrams said that Uncharted 2 had the best opening out of any entertainment medium he had seen.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 09:03.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

I disagree with whoever said that lol God of war 3 best opening scene

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 09:39.
      • Nickboss1
        Since: Mar 2010

Oh that is a tough one but i think gow 3 as well.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 09:52.
      • Forrest_01

I’m sure Hannah Montana probably blows both of those out of the water.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 10:38.
      • shields_t
        Since: Oct 2008

I was actually struggling to remember how Uncharted 2 openned after reading that. I agree with Taylor Made, presumably JJ hadn’t yet played GOW 3!

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 14:04.