Treasures of Montezuma Blitz Gets Massive Update

Free trophies!

Even given the lack of good new releases on Vita lately, I get the feeling that a lot of people overlooked SPL/Alawar’s Treasures of Montezuma Blitz. I can kind of understand why: at first glance it just looks like a nothing-special freemium match-three puzzle game.

Yes, at a basic level, TOM Blitz is a simple match-three game, in the same vein as Bejeweled. You have a minute in which to collect as many points as possible by matching gems, with your final score appearing in a weekly leaderboard with your PSN friends.

As you play levels, you also earn experience, which means you can level up and unlock new slots for totems, bonuses and crystals, which you use to ‘rent’ the aforementioned bonuses.

The more jewel-generous update makes the it easier to get higher scores.
Playing a game with no bonuses or totems selected won’t cost you any crystals (but will cost you a heart, which regenerate over time), but you’ll really struggle to get a decent score.

Using bonuses and totems (which can be upgraded to be even more useful) will cost you jewels, which can be earned by playing, by levelling up, by winning a tournament, from the daily scratchcard, and by buying them in packs from the PlayStation Store.

On top of that, you can share and receive half of any winnings via Near.

It sounds complicated – and it is.

Today, a new (and extensive) update has been released for the game that really changes things – for the better.

The gap between levels is smaller (which stops it feeling as grind-y), there are automatic hints after a few seconds, bonuses appear from the start of the game rather than appearing as it goes on, friend’s levels appear in the leaderboard, and there’s a play button on the results screen to go straight to the next match.

But those aren’t the biggest changes. In the original game, there was either a lot of trial and error (or using a guide) in the first few games until you could really figure out what everything did.

Now, there is a more extensive tutorial, better in-game hints, tips on loading screens, a redesigned UI for ease of use, as well as more information available on all the gameplay elements by tapping on their icons throughout the game. I’ve had a play, and it really does clear up a lot of confusion that at least I had when I first picked up the game.

This update doesn’t suddenly make the game Vita’s first 3D next0gen blockbuster interactive experience. But TOM Blitz is a damn good puzzle game, with plenty of depth for those who stick with it. Oh, and did I mention that the update added trophies?

TOM Blitz is free for Vita from the PlayStation Store, so give it a download, and if you don’t like it you haven’t lost anything.

Thanks to teflon for the help with this article.

Read more:
  1. Origami Killer

Just added the trophies in the forum not so long ago too :) Love this game, and liking the update :)

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:36.
  2. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

Might try this again, I couldn’t get into it. But everyone says how good it is, so i’ll give it another whirl :)

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:42.
  3. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Awesome!
    I already play this loads (usually just before I head into a bigger game like Uncharted or Modnation as it’s only about 10 mins), now there’s trophies and other additions?
    :D

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:43.
    • Origami Killer

its easier to score points too, I had 2.5 mil on my first go since the update :D

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:50.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

Yeah, saw that…
        How do you keep managing these things?!

Anyone having trouble with some of the trophies? I haven’t recieved the trophy for scoring 1,000,000, Levelling Up or the 10x Multiplier yet even though I’ve done them all.

Should I delete it and reinstall? Will that lose me all my crystals and hearts?

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 15:35.
  4. TSBonyman

Nice update, haven’t spent a cent on this yet but love dipping into it daily. I still can’t figure out what exactly i’m supposed to be doing when the screen goes dark – you’re supposed to rub the back and then match cleared gems on the front – but i find it’s a bit fiddly – like trying to rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time! :?

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:44.
  5. Cutter.T

The only annoying thing is that you can only play a few times a day without paying, it would be nice if you could purchase a ‘pass’ which let you have access to the game all the time with a single entry cost.

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:48.
    • JoshHood
      Small briefcase w*nker

Well, it depends on your level, but in the early stages it only takes five minutes to regenerate a heart. I’m at level eight and it still only takes about 15 minutes. I find I run our of jewels before hearts.

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 12:58.
    • TSBonyman

I would have preferred to pay for the game too, as it is they’re not making any money from me! :/

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 13:08.
    • colmshan1990
      Since: Apr 2009

You can play most of the day, just not all at once.
      Although now even that restriction has been removed.

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 15:36.
  6. PA_Kid
    Since: May 2012

cant believe I’m saying it about a fremium game, but it is a lot of fun and gets a bad rap

At level 11 by the time i play through 5 hearts, i have one regen. Its a great game to pick up and put down.

Currently my best score is around 215k but i average more like 150k each tourney. No idea how people get a million+

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 13:15.
  7. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Enjoyed this game before but this is awesome!

Thought that Sony didn’t allow free games to have Trophies? Hmm…

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 13:15.
  8. PA_Kid
    Since: May 2012

Is this update available everywhere now? I am in the US an not seeing the option to update from the startpage

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 13:29.
  9. Erroneus
    Wanted "Trophy Hunter" but was too late.

Not available in Scandinavia :|

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 13:39.
  10. cam the man

Missed this game, downloading now.

Comment posted on 30/05/2012 at 13:46.