Sony's Gaikai Deal Is To Allow PS2 And PS1 Game Streaming

As we thought.

The deal with Gaikai is – according to rumours this afternoon – to enable PlayStation 2 and PS1 game streaming on current generation devices. We’ve been hinting at and discussing this for a little while, but GI have gone live with some additional information so it’s worth revisiting the story ahead of next week’s much-rumoured E3 reveal.

According to the site, the streaming deal will initially open up first party games but Sony are apparently trying to get third party publishers to get on board and sell their games via the new partnership. TheSixthAxis hopes that both the PS3 and PS Vita will be able to make use of this new service, although obviously we can’t confirm anything.

It’s also widely expected to tie into PlayStation Plus.

1. iiekka

even tho i dont really play on my ps3 much now adays, im gona sign up to ps+ for 3 months to see whats going on with all this.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:10.
  2. Klart
    Since: Jun 2010

As you thought? I thought you were thinking of streaming PS3 and PS4 games instead of PS1 and PS2?

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:10.
  3. Death_In_Flamez
    Since: Feb 2011

Battlefront 2 and Hogs of War multiplayer please? :P

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:10.
    • BrendanCalls
      Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

I’d love to have access to Hogs of War again, I loved that game. Me and my bro played it for ages, and Rik Mayall’s voice-over was quality

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:12.
      • bigbaldwolf
        Since: Mar 2012

I loved Hogs of War. Rik Mayall is an absolute legend

I played it on my phone not too long ago and it was still fun

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:13.
      • Death_In_Flamez
        Since: Feb 2011

“ARE YOU IN LOVE SERGEANT???” XD For 4 players I am certain they could re-release it with some extra stuff and get tons of money

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:15.
      • ico
        Since: Aug 2010

Wow. A fellow hogs fan. My brother and I used to love it too. Not sure the arguably politically incorrect names would cut the mustard these days though! Nothing like a close game of hogs when you accidentally detonate a grenade too early and your opponent takes the win. Priceless.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 18:31.
    • discharge

Now that would be funny

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 19:11.
  4. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

I hope the Vita gets psone compatibility without having to stream otherwise it’s going to suck

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:12.
    • shrek9
      Since: Apr 2010

please tell me what the point is for buying a new console or a vita and then wanting ps1 & ps2 games. C’mon guys lets look forward not backwards

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 18:09.
      • ico
        Since: Aug 2010

Great gameplay transcends graphical capabilities and fancy game engines. Saying that though I fully appreciate the buzz of nostalgia found from thinking about old games can be far better than reality in some instances.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 18:46.
      • sparkyscrum
        Since: May 2011

Because lts of us enjoy playing old games on new handhelds. Me included. Just wish more of the retro games would come to Sony, ie Master System games.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 19:16.
  5. SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
    Since: May 2011

Gaikai? what did I miss? When was that announced?

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:15.
  6. p9ul
    Since: Sep 2009

If all the old Tomb Raiders and Gran Turismo’s got trophy lists – I think we can officially confirm the existence of God…

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:19.
  7. psychobudgie

Unless I missed something, I’m pretty sure I can play PS1 and PS2 games on my PS3 straight from the DVD/CD.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:20.
    • Cutter.T

PS1 games yes, ps2 games depends, but they are both available to download anyway.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:37.
      • psychobudgie

So what is the point of some shitty streaming service that serves pretty much zero purpose. Shouldn’t Sony be trying to save money and not piss it away on stupid ideas.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:42.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

If you can stream games, it’d mean a much bigger selection of games than the PS1/PS2 games sitting on your shelf.

There’s not many places selling them anymore.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 22:31.
    • Mr-Flame-Head
      Since: Mar 2009

there are still some ps1 and ps2 games that are not compatible with the ps3 which is why sony havnt been able to release them as digital titles, and why waste money on it well simple answer is a majority of people who either own a ps3 or want to own a ps3 also want to play older titles on the ps3 as well

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 22:21.
  8. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

So they removed ps2 backward on ps3 to make us pay later another service to play games that I pretty much own in my house?

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:22.
    • hazelam

they’ve been doing that with the downloadable ps2 games for a while now.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:25.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

O do they lol I didn’t know. This is news to me. I wonder of they have red faction ps2

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:28.
      • TSBonyman

They have Red Faction, about €10 but you can pick up the ps2 disc for €5 or less so i’m waiting for the inevitable ps2 classics sale.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 19:26.
    • ThoughtPolice
      Since: May 2012

Considering PS+ is only the same price as Xbox Live, and you get SO much more, is this really such a problem?

I mean PS+ was already an amazing deal, if it includes PS1/PS2 game streaming too, then it’s a game changer.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 19:07.
  9. Cutter.T

Ummm, but there’s also an acquisition rumoured, so I still think it may be onlive, but its up in the air at the moment! (I don’t care about this at all unless it involves an acquisition tbh, just because that would hint a lot at the future of Sony’s gaming model.)

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:30.
  10. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

It’s an interesting idea, and would be great on Vita for finally playing PS1 games.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:30.
    • Cutter.T

No, I would like to download them on a portable device, even PSONE remote play over a local connection doesn’t have nearly enough input response and image quality.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:36.
      • Jakster123x
        Since: Aug 2011

So would i, but hopefullly this could tide me over until that option’s available. I’m not even sure i want to play PS1 games on my Vita tbh.

Comment posted on 01/06/2012 at 16:43.