Preview

Aliens: Colonial Marines Preview (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U)

No one can hear you scream...

Long before Dead Space was scaring us with necromorphs or Halo helped the world be filled with Space Marines, there was the Alien franchise, xenomorphs and the Colonial Marines. Those very same Colonial Marines are the stars of the newest entry into the Alien series’ story, with the ingeniously named Aliens: Colonial Marines. We recently got a look at the game, and also got a chance to sit down and talk about it with Gearbox’s Brian Burleson.

Whilst many may associate the Alien series with the horror genre, something that’s certainly true of the first film, Brian is keen to point out that Aliens, the second film in the series, is much more of an action film. Without wanting to spoil too much from the series, he comments on the fact that at the end of Aliens “you’re left with this group of people who are really awesome. And then at the start of Alien 3 they all die.”

If Gearbox can pull of moments of terror like this well they might be onto a winner.
Aliens: Colonial Marines tries to recapture the feeling of action that was present in the second film, although this time bringing in even more of the aforementioned Marines. The game is chronologically set after Aliens 3, and explores what happened to the U.S.S. Sulaco, as well as venturing to the surface of LV-426. You play as Corporal Christopher Winter, serving on the U.S.S. Sephora, the Sulaco’s sister ship, which has been sent to investigate.

What sets this apart from the films, and reinforces the action gameplay that Gearbox are going for, is the fact that rather than the small handful of marines we’ve seen previously, the Sephora houses hundreds, Winter being just one of many. As the game starts you’re sent to investigate what happened to the first exploratory party of marines, and rescue them if necessary. You can probably guess that things don’t quite go to plan from that point on.

In fact, things start to go bad very quickly and it soon becomes apparent that there are a lot of xenomorphs that need killing. The first one you encounter is very typical of the films, with it constantly out maneuvering you and trying to outflank you.

“The enemies that you’re fighting against are always a threat,” says Brian, “they’re not just cannon fodder. If you play the game well you can feel very powerful, but if you play the game poorly… well we’re not very forgiving.”

If you want to stand any chance against your attacker you’re going to need to pull out that trusty stand by, the motion tracker. It’s then that one of the biggest elements in the game’s design becomes obvious; there’s no HUD.

This is clearly something that’s been brought over from the films, but it really adds some tension to the game. If you want to use your motion tracker you have to lift the device up, lowering your gun for a second. If you’re unlucky that’s going to be when a xenomorph decides to pounce.

The Smartgun is one of the rare moments of HUD in the single player. It looks great, but it might make things a bit too easy.
“We’re not completely HUDless,” Brian points out when I question him on this, “when you’re in the multiplayer game you’ll see more of a HUD. We want to be as minimalistic as possible, but there’s certain elements that you need when you’re playing multiplayer.

“We want to make it as immersive as possible though, make it part of the universe. It’s really frustrating when you see games and it’s just an overlay on top of the screen with no purpose in the actual environment; it’s really silly. We’ve been working really hard to make it still in game, but make sense.

And it’s nice to have a franchise that puts the ammo count on the side of your gun.”

There is a moment when a HUD does pop up later in the game, although again it’s certainly one that fits in with the universe. During an escape sequence, Winter picks up a Smartgun to hold off an attacking swarm of xenomorphs. It behaves exactly as fans of the series would expect, tracking your attackers with ease.

The only issue with it is that the game suddenly becomes a bit easy. Whilst your earlier encounter one-on-one had felt genuinely tense and unnerving, this feels all too much like your standard turret sequence from just about any first-person-shooter.

In fact it’s worse than that; with the auto-targeting you don’t have to put in any effort at all, it’s just point and shoot, the Smartgun takes care of the rest. It may well be drawing from the source material, but it doesn’t make for sparkling gameplay.

Once you’ve cleared out those pesky aliens though, an escape back to the Sephora is in order. Sadly things don’t go quite like that, and we’re nearly treated to a chest burster moment before the demo concludes. With the gameplay over, I’m left to dig a bit deeper into the game and the Alien universe with Brian.

The first topic of discussion is looming large right now: Prometheus. The obvious question is whether or not Colonial Marines has any hooks to Ridley Scott’s newest offering.

“The canonical arc and things like the life cycle become clearer in the film, but it’s like a puzzle and every film or game will add a bit more to that puzzle,” Brian responds, but confirms that that’s it really. The film will make some elements of the game clearer (and vice versa), but we’re not going to see any direct links between the two.

Next up, another obvious topic of discussion – androids. The Alien films are renowned for the treachery of these cybernetic beings, so it has to be asked if they’ll crop up in the game.

“Lance Henriksen reprises his role as Bishop,” he responds rather succinctly, “or as a Bishop. We all know what happened to the original Bishop, he’s not doing too well. It’s a different Bishop, same model because all the ships are standard issue with a synthetic. There’s no silly shooting robots or anything like that though, it’s best to fight the aliens and the things that want to kill you.”

Then I’m informed that it’s time for the final question, and I have to ask something that Peter’s specifically instructed me to: What’s the best Alien movie?

“Aliens, of course.” He answers, without a moment’s hesistation. I’m informed by Peter that that’s the correct answer.

So what to make of Colonial Marines? What I saw was a solid, enjoyable experience, but it didn’t feel like it did enough to pick itself out from the first-person-shooter landscape. That first encounter with a xenomorph is very encouraging, but the later sections slip into clichés and feel overly scripted.

Part of the problem, of course, is that the Alien series helped define aspects of these genres; by holding true to the source material some aspects are obviously going to look a little clichéd.

It does bode well that it’s a part of the official canon for the series though, and that Gearbox have been working closely with Fox to ensure an authentic experience. Right now it’s tough to say how the full game will come out, but if they can hit some of the typical Alien beats right this could be a gem of a game. If they misstep though it will become just another FPS.

1. Origami Killer

Sounds great for me. Rightly said in there was that Aliens wasn’t about the horror, more the action, but still some tension and deep atmosphere in the game wouldn’t go a miss.
    Personally my most anticipated game of next year.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:06.
  2. LTG Davey
    andUandU

To the FPS fan in me this sounds pretty generic and average.
    To the massive Aliens fan in me however this sounds f-ing awesome and I can’t wait to get my hands on it :)

P.S. <3 the new layout. Less wordpress-y

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:18.
  3. MICKY17

This sounds really good so far. If they can make it atmospheric and tense, them I think this could be a definite winner, especially for fans of the series. Oh has the WiiU version been shown yet? Really want to know if the Gamepad can be used as a motion tracker or not.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:21.
  4. Megamoppy
    Since: Apr 2012

I have been looking forward to this game though, can’t wait to try it out for myself.

Personally I though Alien 3 was the best (apart from the cheap factory reset on characters at the beginning) really enjoyed it.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:24.
    • Origami Killer

I wouldn’t say it was better than Alien, in my opinion, but I actually did enjoy it more than Aliens :)

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:26.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

For me it goes:
        Aliens
        Alien
        Alien3
        Every other film on the planet
        Alien Resurrection

;)

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:37.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

Whoops, sorry, revised list:
        Aliens
        Alien
        Alien3
        Every other film on the planet
        Alien Resurrection
        AVP2

:P

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:39.
      • Origami Killer

Haha I agree with those last two on the list :P I would put Prometheus near the top for myself as well :)

I wish now after Aliens is done they could make a Predator game :P

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:52.
      • ray_gillespie

Yeah, I really hate Alien Resurrection. It’s not so much that it’s a bad film, it’s just that it’s so totally out of place in the Alien franchise. It’s almost slapstick at times, and way too quirky. Also, if Aliens can spit acid, why do they need to kill one of themselves in that cage to use its acid blood? They could just flob on the floor! And swimming aliens who can dodge bullets? I’ll pass on that thanks.

Comment posted on 07/06/2012 at 09:30.
  5. Omac_brother
    Since: Nov 2011

After the abomination that was Aliens Vrs Predator, I still have my concerns. That game did a lot of damage to the Aliens game franchise in my mind and it will take something pretty special to get me to part with cash for it.
    My own fault for setting my expectations so high for A Vrs P.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 10:24.
  6. ClubberLang
    Since: Jul 2010

Interesting fact… There is not a shot fired in Aliens until 45 minutes in (maybe longer in the directors cut). That’s tame for an action film.

For me the order is(though the order of 1 &2 change depending on my mood)
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3 (Imagine what would have been had the studio given Fincher full control)
    Alien Ressurection (some nice touches but overall a bit of a mess)

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 13:14.
    • nofi
      One for all.

a lot longer. it’s over an hour until you see an alien.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 13:17.
      • wonkey-willy
        Since: Jan 2010

ok geeks that’ll do.
        aliens is one of those rare occasions when a sequal is better than its original
        another example of this is terminator 2.
        as for the game its been noted that it will be nothing more than a standard fps affair but cmon who doesnt want to run around with a motion tracker beeping like theres no tomorrow..
        heres hoping that They’re coming outta the goddamn walls!
        oh yea!

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 14:01.
      • ClubberLang
        Since: Jul 2010

Ah but don’t forget that Drake fires at Newt as she scurries around under the walkways ;-)

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 15:17.
  7. Brendakov
    Since: Nov 2008

Went through my bluray Alien collection over a few days before seeing Prometheus – first thing I see when sitting down at the cinema is a trailer for this game, I had forgotten about it till then! When I saw a message about the following trailer being “made entirely from in game footage” I was expecting Max Payne 3 or some other game so it was a (nice) surprise to see this!

I hope it doesn’t end up as ‘just another fps’ as I really want this to be a great game – I’ve been waiting for it since watching Aliens a child LOL!

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 18:24.
  8. parryman
    Since: Apr 2012

this needs to be considerably better than the terminally average Alien vs Predator game.
    looks good.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 21:35.
  9. cam_manutd

Just watched Aliens. Just does not beat Alien. Prometheus on Friday and shall get this also :D

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 21:46.