E3 2012 Wii U Trailer Round-up

Monsters, tanks, robots, death and Reapers.

You have hopefully already watched the trailers that accompanied Nintendo’s E3 presentation. Here are some more trailers for Wii U games that were either in the line-up trailer or in the case of Rayman Legends, game play that was shown during the presentation. Excpet for Project P-100 these are all 3rd party games.

Project P-100 appears to be a curious cross between The Last Guy and Pikmin. In the face of an alien robot invasion you must round up the survivors and with their help repel the invaders. In bizarre Nintendo fashion you use the survivors as giant hands to manipulate object, as jellies (!) to bounce back projectiles and as human ladders. See what you make of it.

Tanks fighting giant monsters that threaten cities is a recurring theme in Japan and that’s part of what this game is about. A “battle party game” Tank! Tank! Tank! (there’s too much punctuation in game titles these days) sees you either cooperating with other players to take down said giant monsters with tanks equipped with a wide variety of weaponry or battling each others’ tanks.

Rayman Legends is a Wii U exclusive that takes up the mantle from the awesome Rayman Origins. Here are two game play segments that show off different parts of the game. The first gives an idea of the variety within the levels and the second demonstrates some of the more hardcore platforming action. Note the little green flying frog guy. He’s (it’s) a new character introduced for control by the player with the GamePad who uses the touch screen for control.

On to some game that have already seen releases on other platforms or that we know are forthcoming. First up and in the latter category is Darksiders II: Death Lives. A game whose events run parallel to those of the original Darksiders which was something of a surprise hit.

Frozenbyte’s Trine 2 has been around for a little while now and for its Wii U release gets a subtitle. Trine 2: Director’s Cut looks just like the gloriously coloured fantasy fun you would expect.

Last up for this post is the rendered Mass Effect 3 Take Back Earth trailer that you have probably seen a good few times before. It’s included here just to further highlight the fact that the Wii U is attracting the big 3rd party franchises.

Read more: # #
  1. IAmJacksMedullaOblongata
    Since: Nov 2011

Literally the only thing I liked that was shown at the conference was Pikmin 3.

Rayman Legends looks lush, but I’ve already seen that trailer.

I wasn’t too keen on the WiiU before E3. I’m probably even less keen now. Probably because NintendoLand looks like a Lovecraftian nightmare to me.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 12:31.
    • colossalblue
      Team TSA: Editor

hahaha, “Lovecraftian nightmare”! Excellent.
      I thought the new Mario games looked really great. Everything they showed looked very pretty but nothing in the software really jumped out for me. So, the hardware looks great (until MS and Sony show their next gen) but the software was a little underwhelming.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 12:34.
  2. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Not a great conference by Nintendo but could have been a lot worse. Glad they focussed on their upcoming games for the most part, as this was my main concern for the Wii-U. Didn’t see a huge amount of stuff that would appeal to me to be honest but the return of Pikmin is great news.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 12:32.
  3. MrSpeedyGonzales
    Since: Jun 2010

I’ve never owned a Nintendo console and probably never will, none of the things shown by nintendo has changed my mind. Not even Mario can tempt me to get one.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 12:50.
  4. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I feel like the only new game Nintendo showed was Pikmin 3. New Super Mario Bros U (what a horrid name that is) looked great, but it was ultimately just more of the same. I wanted a brand new and fresh 3D world Mario, like 64, Sunshine or Galaxy was for their respective consoles. I feared Nintendo would sell the Wii U to me this E3 (I can’t afford or justify it with a PS3 and Vita, plus PC and I’m going to buy a PS4), but they didn’t. Not yet. I’m still more interested in the 3DS to be honest.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 13:23.
  5. pip
    Since: Jun 2012

All that really interested me was Pikmin 3, and I wont be buying a Wii U for just one game. The concept of the console looks fun, but I have a feeling it is going to be just another novelty, and end up in the attic like my Wii and Kinect have done.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 13:31.
  6. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

I’m still completely unsure where they’re aiming the Wii U – it only seems to have a similar level of power to the PS3 and the 360, so whilst it’ll mean Nintendo owners get an equal footing for a while in terms of multiplatform games, they’re still relying on their first party output and unusual controller to sell consoles, and beyond Pikmin 3, it does nothing that they haven’t tried with the Wii.

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 13:46.
  7. XisTG

Can’t see a good reason to buy a WiiU. And I bet the price won’t be very friendly…

Comment posted on 06/06/2012 at 14:58.