Some Information About The Follow Up To Limbo

How low can you go?

Aren’t the Danish great? Not only are they making Euro 2012 interesting and providing Europe with excellent bacon, the country is home to Playdead Studios. You might remember them from downloadable mega-hit, Limbo? Well, they’re working on a follow up, tentatively and unimaginatively titled “Project 2″.

Some titbits of information about that project have leaked out, thanks to a Danish government website listing interactive grant applications. According to the applications, Project 2 “tells the story of a boy’s struggle against evil forces trying to take over the world through questionable experiments on human bodies.”

That sounds about right for Playdead, who had a gruesome streak on show with the many and varied death events in Limbo. Project 2 is set to depart from that iconic monochromatic style of Limbo though. The grant application explicitly mentions that the game is in colour. Don’t worry though, judging by the accompanying image, the oppressive tone remains.

Limbo Project 2

Platforms are listed as PS3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac. Judging from past comments, the studio is shooting for a 2014 release date.

Source: Kotaku

1. Burgess_101

I cant wait, Limbo was one of the best games I have ever played the atmosphere is the best I have ever experienced in a game ever.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 10:48.
    • Ben
      Friendly
      Since: Mar 2009

I am finally playing though it for the first time at the moment and I have to say it is fantastic. The level design is top notch and as you say the atmosphere is unparalleled in any game I have ever experienced.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 23:52.
  2. SavageOranges
    Since: Aug 2010

That looks beautiful :D

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 10:49.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Yeah, that single screen-shot looks ace.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 10:53.
  3. TSBonyman

Love the new look!

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 10:55.
  4. Porcupine_I

bah! colors! bunch of sellouts!

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:00.
  5. rht992
    Since: Apr 2009

Loved Limbo even if it did disturb me after a while. Anything these guys do is at the top of my must have list.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:02.
  6. fs
    Since: May 2012

A little alien man carrying dead meat has never looked so artistic.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:03.
  7. Forrest_01

I still haven’t played Limbo. It’s always been a touch too pricey for me (much like Journey).

Am i missing much?

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:17.
    • Alex C
      One for all.
      • Ben
        Friendly
        Since: Mar 2009

You can pay what you want for it, so long as you purchase within the next ten minutes!

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 23:50.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

It’s lot like Journey – looks gorgeous, very atmospheric – but short and repetitive.

It’s actually better game than Journey as you at least have to think for some of the puzzles instead of just pushing forward on the stick.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 11:39.
      • Forrest_01

Thanks guys – I did read the review way back when (it was done from the 360 version if i recall) & i certainly was interested, but again, it was just a bit too much above the price threshold that i am comfortable with for downloads.

Basically, if either Limbo or Journey dropped to around the £7 mark (below preferably!), i think i would pick them up without a second thought. But being so close to the £10 mark just makes me think twice, as i can actually pick up a full retail game in a box with the bonus of a platinum for that sort of money. It may not seem much, but it does make a difference to me.

I guess what i am getting at (that i didn’t explain so well), is what people think of it now, a number of months on… Have people returned to it after the initial play? Was there any sense of rose-tinting in the first playthrough & now that people think back on it, perhaps it wasn’t as great as it first seemed? etc

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 12:36.
      • uncleniccius
        Since: Jan 2012

I couldn’t imagine not having bought Journey, of all my gaming purchases, it has been one of the best. I still haven’t finished Limbo though..

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 16:42.
      • Nate
        Since: Apr 2010

@Forrest, there is a demo available which, in my opinion, showcases most of the best bit of the game. After an atmospheric and exciting opening, it becomes a bit soulless and repetitive.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 18:30.
  8. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Screenshots are awesome, Limbo was an amazing game. This will be a day 1 purchase for sure.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 12:03.
  9. MadJunkBoy
    Since: Aug 2010

loved Limbo and will certainly follow this!
    the picture looks awesome!

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 14:44.
  10. KeRaSh

I still have to finish Limbo but it’s nice to see that they are working on a new game.

Comment posted on 14/06/2012 at 15:09.