Opinion

Opinion: Why I Don't Want A "Next-Gen" Console

You can stick your PS4 where the sun doesn't shine.

Maybe I’m just too old, but for me the next generation of consoles will be the worst one yet. I don’t want it – and in the next 1200 words or so, I’ll tell you why.

This year’s E3 showed an industry on the brink; teetering delicately on an edge crafted by its own circular self-destruction, poised and seemingly desperate for new hardware. It was there of course, both in the shape of top-of-the-range PCs (see: Watch Dogs’ much-celebrated showcase) and almost certainly behind locked doors upstairs, out of the public’s (and the media’s) longing eyes.

Investors will have wanted to see what Sony and Microsoft were coming up with, and we know for a fact that the likes of Epic and Crytek have seen (and returned) spec sheets to the platform holders with a big red stamp across them that said ‘failed’ because – well, they’ve largely said so themselves. And developers? They’ll certainly know what they’re aiming at. Next-gen might not be in a piano-black box yet, but on paper and where it counts, it’s very much real.

Heck, even SCEA are happy to confirm that there’s another console around the corner.

But the public at large? Still no idea, and no amount of trivial ‘leaks‘ will make the slightest iota of difference because the PS4 and the successor to the Xbox 360 aren’t meant to be seen yet. Sony and Microsoft believe there’s life in the current dogs yet, and to them at least there was no real reason to showcase new hardware.

The Xbox 360, available for cheap on a monthly contract.
And me, personally? I’m more than grateful. I don’t want new hardware, not yet, and probably not for some time to come. It’s not that I fear change, or have concerns about the cost of the machines – I don’t, but I do feel that the industry is rapidly going in a direction that I simply don’t feel comfortable with.

The consoles themselves aren’t going to cost upwards of £400 again. That was a ridiculous move by Sony that only just managed to scrape past being a complete and utter disaster. The economy’s nothing like that now, and nobody’s got that kind of money to throw down on silicon.

My last big expenditure on gaming hardware was the Vita (which ended up costing me about £600 all in after a horrible importing experience) and I won’t be doing anything like that ever again.

But they aren’t likely to be a budget-friendly £250 either.

No, I think Microsoft’s $99 experiment with the subsidised, subscriber model will be the only way to buy. I think gamers will pick up a PS4 or Xbox 720 (for want of a better term) for around that same kind of level, but be forced into a two or three year payment plan that’ll nicely offset the initial cost but – ultimately – end up being a lot more once the deal is done.

Sony would be mad to skip the concept, even if the thought of being tied into a console doesn’t appeal to me one bit. They might not be charging for PSN now but it’s not hard to imagine that the currently evergreen PlayStation Plus won’t be central next gen – and that includes online play – and it’s not a particularly large stretch to see them shoehorning that into a long term monthly subscription that also sees the price of the hardware bundled in.

And as the price of games moves steadily upwards, normally bolstered by the annual Call of Duty look at me spectacular, so too does the apparently necessary evil of DLC and online passes. EA’s “project $10″ worked so well that almost every publisher (including Sony) have jumped on board, and it’s now a struggle to buy a top tier game that doesn’t have a code in the box to activate some of its key features. And we all know what happens when the codes expire.

Next generation, this’ll start to include more and more single player aspects – of that I’m fairly sure – meaning that a good chunk of the second hand market will be affected. If you buy a game pre-owned be prepared to fork out more cash online to get the game up and running – we’ve seen this already with the likes of Codemasters, who bundle away better cars (and not just multiplayer) behind the now trendy pass system.

Cod Elite. More money for stuff. Expect these 'extra value' subscriptions to be commonplace on PS4 and the next Xbox.
But it’s not just the online passes and now seemingly mandatory day-one DLC, the latter of which makes me feel more and more uncomfortable every time it appears as publishers decide to throw in more and more perks, bonuses and extras alongside the game that we’ve already spent £50 on.

No, it’s the games themselves. This generation has seen pretty much every single first person shooter gloop together into one unrecognisable lump, each one practically indistinguishable from the other. I’m bored of chasing down the same corridors set in different countries fighting identical enemies that act like little more than cannon fodder.

It’s always the same, they’re always the same. And they’ll be the same next gen too.

I long for a return to more open shooters, but we’ll rarely see a game like Doom again and even when we get somewhere near, like the lovely BioShock, they’re few and far between. Publishers, and by extension the developers that are so closely tied, don’t want the risk of something bombing at retail just because it’s different. Next generation will bring CPUs capable of advanced physics and wonderful AI, but we’ll still be firing AK47s at dumb, spawning identikit enemies.

And I know – there’s online play, but that’s becoming more and more tied into subscription based deals to get the most out of the games. Call of Duty Elite’s the first, but others will follow, and before long (and almost certainly this next gen) the price you pay for a game will end up being about 50% of what you’ll pay in total.

And we’re all doing it now: Elite’s hugely popular, so we’ve only got ourselves to blame as the publishers continue down this route.

And then there’s the requirements for single player games to have a need to be signed in to some publisher’s arbitrary online portal that can’t cope with the initial demand and is subject to hacking attempts – both of which push the solitary player into nothing but error messages – Diablo III’s an obvious example, but it’s not alone.

Next-gen spec sheets will be nothing but resolutions and clock speeds.

They’re largely irrelevant to me – I don’t really care how many channels of sound I get beyond six, or how many pixels the system can offer when most publishers won’t get anywhere near because it’s more cost effective to re-use half a decade old engines and just repackage the visuals to suit whatever global crisis is currently unfolding.

Basically, we’re locked into another generation of the same old games packaged in ever more increasingly expensive boxes with ever more ways to make us spend money on stuff that should really be in the game. It didn’t used to be like this – £5 would buy you the full game back when I when I was a kid and – later – £30 would buy you a complete N64 or Dreamcast game.

But those days are over, as, it seems, is true risk taking from the publishers as game development gets perpetually more expensive. Watch Dogs might be a new IP but it’s one that’s in a familar genre and even so hardly represents the norm, which is now annual rehashes, reskins and remixes.

The number of games I’ve been truly excited for over the last few years is in single figures, and unless next gen really offers new ways to play (rather than new ways to pay) I’m not looking forward to this at all. But maybe I’m just too old.

1. djhsecondnature

But Al, you do fear change :-p

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:06.
    • djhsecondnature

And you are quite old. I’m super excited for the next-gen as I’m tired with this current one and it’ll be the first one I’m involved in from the off. The Vita was the first console I’ve bought on day one – getting a PSOne 4 years after release, a PS2 2 years after release, PS3 a year after release, and a 360 3 years after release – so I’m very excited to get a true next-generation console on day one.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:10.
      • Deathbrin

I’m just pissed of the old one with it’s XMB and installs and lack of: ram/anti-aliasing/shadows/proper matchmaking/actual standards for features like custom soundtracks/general console-style enjoyment

Bring it on, but bring it GOOD.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 20:48.
  2. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

“annual rehashes, reskins and remixes.”
    Sums up this gen for me, more of the same but with a few more pixels, better lighting & particle effects? No thanks.

AA gaming is dead, AAA is the same old shite… every single time.

It says something that despite downloading a load of games from PS+, I’ve spent far more time playing the excellent PSMini Velocity than I have Motorstorm Apocoplypse (watch out for the pebble), inFamous2, LBP2, Space Marine & Darksiders added together.

Indie gaming is increasingly where it’s at for me, and unless something drastically changes with console gaming, I’m out.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:10.
    • TheDemocrodile

i cant argue with that, im only 27 so im hardly old (ahhh the internet, where my kids cant immediately argue with said statement) but i feel the same way.
      Indie titles such as Minecraft, Project Zomboid and the utterly engrossing Towns have been the highlights of recent years.
      Admittedly im a big fan of the Bioshock series but aside from those there hasnt been much to elicit excitement in recent years.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:34.
    • a inferior race
      I'm special

Fez is the best game I have played this year.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 21:45.
  3. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Couldn’t agree more. This generation has been terrible overall. Online passes, day-one DLC, un-finished games being released to the masses, patches to fix patches, good companies going under, shite companies earning millions. Blegh, pah and meh!

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:10.
  4. Jaffa-the-Cake
    Since: Oct 2010

I know for sure that I will not be getting next gen consoles at launch. I was bitten quite bedly this gen with my ps3 dying on me and forcing me to by a new one. As a result I will wait till the next gen consoles are revised to cheaper, more stable models ala PS3 slim.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:12.
    • rSp8

Agreed. Spent a fortune on a launch day PS3 only to have it die on me and be replaced with a smaller, quieter and (supposedly) more reliable slim, which cost me about a third of the price.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:49.
  5. damoxuk
    Since: May 2011

Ah but some people do care, myself included I want good sound but PS3 does 7.1 uncompressed as it is so cool. I want better graphics to take full advantage of my 4 year old Full HD TV. And I want that feeling of a new console. And i’m not talking Wii-U with it’s catch up tech.

Good article though but I disagree with apart from FPS games now they suck ass :)

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:13.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

FPS? Yup, I’d go along with that

Although looking at the E3 keynotes it was the military setting of Medal Of Honor Warface & CoD BlOps2 that looked so tired & boring in comparison to freshness of Far Cry 3… and although not at the show Bioshock Infinite

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:18.
  6. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

Great article and very good points. You can tell you’re scottish though :P

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:15.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

I’m not. :)

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:22.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

My most humbled appologies then sir

Comment posted on 21/06/2012 at 06:34.
  7. Forrest_01

I wholeheartedly agree.

I long for a time when you buy the game you want, it comes in a box & you get ALL of it there & then, but i know that wont happen now as seemingly everything has to be monetised for the companies to make a profit.

I really don’t know how to feel about next gen at the moment. Am considering giving it a miss if truth be told.

My PS3 does absolutely everything i want it to (some things better than others of course!) & if we could just do away with the day one DLC (in fact, most DLC), online passes & all the other crap we have had shoved down our throats, i could quite happily never move on.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:20.
  8. bigbaldwolf
    Since: Mar 2012

Good article and pretty much how I feel.

The games I have been excited each year of this gen wouldn’t get into double figures. I’m content with my Vita and my Xbox and don’t want next gen consoles to come too soon. I’ve said this before in other posts but it’s going to take something very special and not gimmicky to tempt me to invest again.

PS1/N64 opened up the flood gates for devs and they could be so creative with this new tech. PS2 was another step in the right direction and devs created more new IPs and it was a truly great system. I’m not saying this gen hasn’t had any good games because the likes of Bayonetta, Gears of War, Nier and others have been great but I’m just bored with this gen and the same old crap now.

DLC, online passes and the price of games are killing it for a lot of people and it’s sad to see.

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:21.
  9. nemesisND1derboy
    Since: Apr 2010

If you’re too old, so am I, because I’ve been feeling very similar to yourself recently. Having said that., I still want new hardware, mainly because I like shiny things.

But yeah, new revenue models are shite, the AAA development scene is shite and a lot of this gen is just generally shite. I had no problem walking into a shop, paying €50 for a game and go on my merry way home, where I’d put the disk in, have a read of a thick, full colour manual and not have to bother with any online pass shite.

The old saying of the customer is always right clearly doesn’t exist in this industry, because nobody is listening to what we want, instead they’re just throwing freemium, free to play, play 4 free and whatever other buzz word name they can think of at us and just expect us to want to pay that way.

I just can’t be arsed with that any more.

Maybe I am an old fart…

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:26.
    • Crocadillian
      Since: Feb 2011

Im 19 and feel likewise, it’s not your age ;).

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 19:29.
      • nemesisND1derboy
        Since: Apr 2010

I’m 19 too. High 5!

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 19:29.
      • Sympozium

Hail kingdom of the 19th yearr human

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 20:35.
      • Crocadillian
        Since: Feb 2011

Woo! *high 5*

Comment posted on 21/06/2012 at 10:12.
    • deadwelsh

speaking of f2p has anyone checked out no mans land in home? I just stumbled across it on the us ps site, but cant tell if its available to uk – plus i dont want to piss around with home again if its not there/available

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 19:36.
  10. Sk1tzK1ll
    Since: Jun 2012

I think you’re right! Life is already expensive enough,espessialy a gamers life! Still…even if the consoles (Ps3 and Xbox 360) are still verry good,some people still want better graphics! So people will still buy it!

Comment posted on 20/06/2012 at 17:31.