Sony: "No Plan" For Resistance, As Franchise Dwindles Down

It's all over.

I absolutely loved Resistance: Fall of Man. It was a groundbreaking achievement when it was released alongside the PlayStation 3 and – for me at least – showed what the console could do in terms of first person shooters. That Manchester level was insane.

The second game didn’t fare so well, but it was still enjoyable, and boasted a great co-op mode. Resistance 3 boosted the graphics and the team created a solid shooter, but by then the franchise had started to dwindle in terms of popularity.

With Insomniac out of the way and working on Facebook games (amongst others) it was down to Sony’s other studios to pick up the slack. The recent Vita game was a mess, and that one – sadly – looks like being the last in the series, at least for now.

“The Resistance franchise has been exciting to work on,” said Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Online producer Daniel Brooke, “but as for the future we have no definitive plans.”

It’s not encouraging news, but it doesn’t sound like it’s definitely over for ever, more that for the moment the company is concentrating on other things. That said, if there’s another Resistance it’s going to have to be amazing to regain the fallen interest levels.

We’ll see.

1. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

No big loss, your write up is perfect, after the first they dwindled, haven’t even played 3. Best to lay it to bed I think.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 08:48.
  2. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

To be expected, given the poor sales. Oh well!

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 08:55.
    • bmg_123
      Since: Feb 2012

Plus it was never going to reach expectations, since Sony allegedly went up to Insomniac and asked for a “Halo clone” for the PS3’s launch. Maybe it would’ve worked if they hadn’t kept on changing the formula so much…

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 09:18.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

In what way is resistance a halo clone? If you said gears of war maybe but halo it’s completely different from that

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:08.
      • Origami Killer

How could you even say Halo or GOW? Both completely different to Resistance

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:14.
      • Forrest_01

@Taylor Made: bmg said that they were asked to make a Halo clone. Doesn’t mean they did.

Also, as OK pointed out, its nothing like Gears. At all.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:15.
      • ohmikkie
        Since: Nov 2011

Actually @ the time RFoM came out it was being compared to GeOW in terms of “Alien Invasion” type genre. There are quite a few similarities in that respect. But that is to be expected.

In terms of a Halo clone I thought the closest thing, in terms of game play, is the Unreal Tournament franchise. But in reality the clone is really Halo.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 12:45.
      • Forrest_01

Yeah, the ‘Alien Invasion’ genre would have quite a few titles in it i would suspect!!! :)

Obviously, you could hark all the way back to the original Duke Nukem (or similar) for that sort of thing too, but at the end of the day it’s all about what they do with the property where they take the story.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 13:45.
  3. jimmy-google

It’s biggest issue is they’ve never known where to take the game plot wise. EveryEvery game was a bit of a rehash of the one before. If a developer had a good plot idea they could easily breathe new life into the series

At a minimum I’d still be happy for a trophy enabled port of fall of man for the vita. Burning skies was still enjoyable, certainly more do than reviews suggested.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 09:03.
  4. LTG Davey
    andUandU

#1 = Amazing
    #2 = Rubbish
    #3 = Return to form but still not as good as part1
    Vita = Not bad just very generic and dull

Yup, seems like a good time to call it a day. Have to give them credit for not flogging this dead horse and to instead explore new projects.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 09:05.
    • jimmy-google

Retribution on the PSP was probably the best of the lot but that one wasn’t a FPS

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 12:46.
    • ohmikkie
      Since: Nov 2011

Really. #1 one was great for the time. But having played the first two again, last year, before #3. I really do feel that #3 was a massive improvement over one in terms of game-play and story. The controls are far more smoother in #3. The only advantage #1 had, in my opinion, was the size of the multi-player.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 12:48.
  5. Origami Killer

The first was and is still a fantastic game, on par with that manchester level was nottingham as well. Both the best levels I have played on an FPS. I actually enjoyed the campaign to the second and third. However, the story in the latter game was lack lustre, especially the [SPOLIER] ending which was stupid, how could one man deafeat the chimera, after every military force of the world couldn’t.

No surprise though to the possibility of laying it to bed. These last two games simply havent been good enough.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 09:57.
  6. JohnnyBoy
    Since: Oct 2010

I’ve not played it on Vita yet (but plan on getting it before I go on holiday), but apart from 2 which I couldn’t get into at all I think they’ve been great games – even Retribution on PSP I really enjoyed.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:00.
  7. Forrest_01

So does that mean that the titles will now get cheaper (due to lack of demand) or more expensive (as there will be no more)?

Have only played the second game so far, which was ok but a bit of an onslaught in parts requiring a bit of trial & error, but it was ok for a playthrough. I wouldn’t mind a go on the third one too… If the price is right.

The annoying thing is that it has gone platinum now, so i will have to shop around for a version that doesn’t come in a dodgy silver plastic box with horrible yellow borders around the cover art.

Seriously, their design department really does need to take a good long look at themselves.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:08.
    • Origami Killer

I too am so frustrated by the platinum boxes! My PS2 games collection could have been all white and looked neat but then a few stupid platinums ruined it, i dont care if thats sounds like an OCD. For PS3 luckily I have only 1 platinum

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:12.
    • Forrest_01

Ah, my OCD is so bad that i can’t even consider tarnishing my collection with a Platinum box. The sheer thought of it actually makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit!

I even had issues when they switched from the old ‘spiderman 3’ design boxes to the newer PS3 ones though, so there you go! :)

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:17.
      • Kreisash

Same here – I have Platinum box snobbery. I managed to get R3 Collectors edition on ebay, complete with unused online codes (checked those on the store) for about £11 though. Not had time to play it yet mind you.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 12:38.
  8. Bilbo_bobbins

Its run its course, the last two were average in my opinion.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:29.
  9. sg
    Since: Nov 2011

should have listened to the fans who wanted the 8 player co-op for R3, they even took away the 32v32 multi. i’m not surprised it flopped.

i hope the R2 servers stay online, i want to try at least reach 100million xp. lol

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:47.
  10. TSBonyman

Loved the first game, tried playing the second and third games a few times but can’t get into them. Similarly didn’t warm to the Vita demo.

Comment posted on 26/06/2012 at 10:52.