DmC Runs At 30fps, But Feels Like 60fps Because Of Dragon's Dogma

Bizarre quote is bizarre.

DmC, the emo-fuelled Devil May Cry reboot, runs at half the frame rate of previous games, much to the chagrin of life-long ‘Cry fans. Don’t worry though, it’s all for the good of your health, according to Hideaki Itsuno, the game’s director, who says that games that run at 60fps can “almost shake or flash”, and thus “adjusting the speed is almost necessary”.

More realistically, it’s a limitation of the Unreal engine, which commonly runs at 30fps. “We were limited a little bit by the engine capabilities,” says Ninja Theory’s Stuart Adcock. “We could have done it at 60 but we would have had to have had very static environments and less combat effects.”

“When we were thinking of doing a Ninja Theory interpretation of it we wanted to bring so much more to the table with visual niceties. We still felt that with 30 we could provide a good experience.”

And back to Itsuno, who says that they’ve figured out a way to allow controller responsiveness that “gives the player the feel of 60 frames per second” which is a ”speed the brain and the eye can catch up with and understand” but “at 30 frames per second there’s a technique where you take advantage of the brain’s ability to fill in the blanks.”

““So even though you have it running at 30 frames per second, you create the motions and the poses in such a way that the brain will naturally fill in what would have been the extra frames,” he added, saying that a lot of the techniques were established during the development of Dragon’s Dogma.

Read our hands on preview here.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Unreal Engine is a creaking mess of pants these days. Please stop using it.

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 12:28.
  2. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Is anyone shocked at halfspeed games these days?

Its been the hallmark of this generation because it lacks the power to push all these pixels around at normal framerate whilst maintaining the graphical fidelity that people expect, although to many people this half-speed gaming now seems normal and what used to be normal speed now seems ‘twitchy’

The next generation will hopefully live up to this generation’s promise (lies)

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 12:40.
    • ohmikkie
      Since: Nov 2011

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

This gen consoles were underpowered from the get-go. I blame the original XBOX for not selling enough forcing MS to bring out the 360 early.

I don’t think there is one game that has graphically overwhelmed me yet on both consoles so far.

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 13:07.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

Wouldn’t say I’ve not been impressed, the particles in FlOw (for the time), Uncharted 2 and GT5 when in replay mode with post-processing effects added and a few others have been amazing have been real highlights for me.

It’s just the fact that because the consoles can’t push all the pixels around and keep their graphical fidelity that they have to half the framerate & with it responsiveness which affects gameplay.

It would be great to get that ‘snappiness’ back, although being the old bugger that I am with my gaming ability deteriorating over time & I could probably do with framerate halving yet again to 15fps, just so I can keep up ;)

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 13:50.
      • ohmikkie
        Since: Nov 2011

Yeah, don’t get me wrong. Those games do look good. But when the this gen was coming out was expecting those kind of visuals with at least 60fps and at higher resolutions.

In contrast a few months before buying my PS3 I was shocked that the GPU integrated was a cut down version of a NVIDIA 7600. I was upgrading me PC with a 9900GTX at the time. I was not expecting an up to date GPU but I had expected an enhancement of an existing chip.

Incidentally I’ve been always curious on what kind of performance achieved if Sony ignored the Devs and gone with a dual Cell implementation instead (I read about this rumour years ago).

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 14:01.
  3. Forrest_01

Couldn’t care less about graffix tbh – As long as the game runs well enough (which this one seems to) & is fun to play, then that’s all i care about.

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 13:39.
  4. Kaminari
    Since: Jan 2010

Might be similar to the framerate upscaler used in Force Unleashed 2.

Comment posted on 05/11/2012 at 19:08.