UK Games Charts: 12/11/12 - Halo 4 Top While LBP Karting Needs a Pit Stop

Halo, Halo, it's good to be back.

Halo 4 manages to take the top spot after its Tuesday release, knocking Assassin’s Creed III down to second place. The first Halo game of the post-Bungie era failed to outperform Halo: Reach or Halo 3 in their opening weekends but it still stands as the seventeenth best opening in the UK of all time.

EA’s FIFA and Need for Speed titles continue to do well in third and fourth, with Football Manager in fifth position. That’s a spectacular achievement for the football management sim when you consider that these charts don’t count digital sales, only physical copies. It’s safe to assume that FM13 is selling a lot more digital copies than any of the big console games above it on the chart.

Everything in the top ten is a sequel of some sort with the seventh Halo game and the fifth console-bound Assassin’s Creed standing out but FIFA and Football Manager probably belong to the lengthiest dynasties with WWE 13 not too far behind them. Need for Speed might technically be a reboot rather than a sequel but it’s hardly the first in the NfS series.

Meanwhile, Sony’s big exclusive release of the week, LittleBigPlanet Karting, fails to make a big splash, only managing to chart at number 24. That might be disappointing but then, I haven’t seen any advertising for it, have you?

Here’s the top twenty:

16. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
  17. F1 2012
  18. New Super Mario Bros. 2
  19. Forza 4
  20. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
  1. Bilbo_bobbins

LBP Karting? Not heard of it before. Thats right, not advertising Sony. Spread the budget on your games, don’t use it all on one. *cough All Stars cough*

I wonder what will be next weeks? ;-)

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:01.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

have seen 5 adverts for it over the weekend? games like LBP will sell well over time imo not getting it till December myself.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:42.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

I’ve not seen any.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:48.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

good point here: it’s probably not being advertised in places I’d see because it’s not aimed at me. It’s aimed at kids, so opening week sales, much like for Nintendo’s releases, won’t mean as much as how this sells over the next couple of months.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 14:37.
  2. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Didn’t even know LBP:Karting was actually out last week, I just knew it was sometime around now and that’s only because I’m on gaming websites thoughout the day every day, not through any of Sony’s efforts.

Wonderbook, Sony’s big new attempt to appeal to a whole new demographic is out this week, apparently. Not that anything Sony do will the title & therefore the console to find the new audience it was obviously intended to do.

“Sending titles out to die…”

On the Halo front, amazing that a single platform game outsold multi-platform AC3 in its launch week, but the fact it failed to sell more than Halo3 & Reach despite more & more consoles being sold all the time shows that declines on top of existing declines continues as this-gen spirals down ever more since its 2008 high.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:04.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

That’s what I thought, I knew both are out about now, but I haven’t seen anything on either of them. Games sales are going down because its getting harder and harder to find any disposable income for most families, well in this country anyway.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:50.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

Decline on declines are worldwide… meanwhile other forms of gaming are booming.

I know there’s a market for the next-gen of consoles, it will be sizeable, I just wonder if it will be a smaller market than this gen.
        MS seem to realise this if ‘Xbox Surface’ rumours are anything to go by, Sony of course should have a headstart here with it expertise in remote play game streaming, owning a game streaming company in Gaikai & of course having PlayStation Certified devices out there, even if they are still born, as is often the case with Sony.

Will be even more interesting than usual to see how it all pans out.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 16:00.
    • RudeAwakening
      Since: Jan 2011

Wow did not realise that Wonderbook was out this week.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 20:03.
  3. Soild_Nat
    Since: Apr 2009

I saw plenty of LBP advertisements over the weekend (Channel 5 all afternoon Sunday). I think LBP has suffered from releasing a week after NFS:MW. I will be waiting for it to hit the bargain bin early next year or even make an appearance on PS Plus.

It will probably pick up nearer Christmas with bundle pack ins etc.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:07.
  4. Dan Lee
    Common like the rest of us.
    Since: Jun 2010

Mini review of Halo 4 – some of the best graphics I’ve seen this gen, mixed with gameplay that flits between genius and tedium.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:15.
  5. Joshua Hood
    Small briefcase w*nker

Just because the people on here haven’t seen any advertising doesn’t mean there hasn’t been any. There have been plenty on kids TV, as well as on more kid-centric websites, over the past month or so. I’ve also seen ads on GAF, shopping sites, and even here, and at bus stops in York. There’s a big stand in my local HMV, and a display in Game. I know it’s cool to hate on SCEE’s advertising, and it’s clearly not doing all that well going by the sales, they *are* advertising.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:30.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Having two children who watch a fair amount of tv now its wet & cold outside I can honestly say I haven’t seen any – I am the target audience for this product.

I have seen Vita ads though, but the only PS3 I’ve seen in an ad is EA’s FIFA campaign which obviously has a deal with Sony as their marketing partner, not Sony themselves.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:39.
      • theberzerka

My liitle man came running down the stairs yesterday morning all excited about LBP Karting. He had seen an advert. So they must be advertising it.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:49.
      • yogdog
        Since: Feb 2010

I’ve seen a few ads as well, I guess it vary’s in regards to geographic location. Not seen many TV ad’s but I *ahem* don’t watch childrens channels…. except when Spongebob is on.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:52.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

to be fair we have children tv on all day too, and I didn’t see any. I guess it depends what channels you have on and how long/when you are watching.

There is a reason it’s not selling, and IMO its advertising. LBP was massive on previous games so it’s bound to sell fairly well off the back of that alone. Its very strange.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:52.
  6. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

I’m willing to bet everything I own BlOp’s 2 is top next week. Everything I own.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:34.
    • gaffers101
      Since: Oct 2008

That must be the safest bet anyones ever made :)

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 12:26.
  7. Voolar
    Since: Mar 2009

LBPK is surely a Christmas title. It’ll probably be a slow burner…

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 11:37.
  8. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

I’ve seen a rather good tv advert for LBP karting actually. I’m interested in the game and had they released it earlier in the year I would’ve got it, but putting it up at this stage of the year against all the heavy hitters is stupid.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 12:06.
    • cam the man

I might have bought it if it was out earlier but at the moment I’ve got F1 2012, NFS: Most Wanted and Sleeping Dogs to keep me busy for a while.
      The only advert I’ve seen for the game was an email for SCEE.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 13:09.
  9. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Great news about Halo4. 343 Studios have really pulled it off :)
    With this and BLOPS2, my 360 is going to be very busy over the coming weeks :D

Not surprised to see LBP Karting sold badly. Average reviews mixed with lacking advertisement.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 12:29.
    • jimmy-google

There’s no info to say how well or badly its sold. It’s up against the titles which will sell the most for the whole year and though it doesn’t look great on the all formats chart it is 8th on the PS3 chart setting behind 7 sequels which includes the likes of Resident Evil, Fifa, Asssassinc Creed, WWE, NFS, MoH. No one would have expected it to be selling more than those titels, most will be aroudn the top 10/20 for the next 6 months.

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 13:32.
  10. freezebug2

I’ve seen some great adverts recently, the Blops II advert is pretty good with a regular showing and the Vita advert isn’t too shabby either.
    Whaaaaat! No Dogs this week? :(

Comment posted on 12/11/2012 at 13:12.