Molyneux - "I Don’t See That I’ll Be Alive Much Longer"

Tears.

Peter, not in tears.
Peter Molyneux, the chap behind Curiosity (and countless, better things in the 16-bit era) has told RPS that we don’t see that he’ll be alive much longer in a teaser of an interview published shortly afterwards.

“I can’t blame people for not believing,” he said, in response to claims of his long term over-promising and under-delivering, something that’s likely to prevent his recent Kickstarter for GODUS gaining much traction.

“I know I’ve said things. I wish I could not say them, I guess. I just… I still believe so much.”

Apparently at this point Molyneux was in tears.

“I swore that when we started 22 Cans that we wouldn’t over-promise, and I guess through stupid mistakes we have. I have to live by those. If it means that the project doesn’t get Kickstarted, if it means that people use the Kickstarter to vent their frustrations, then I guess I have to live by that.”

GODUS looks like a semi-promising Populous style thing, a game Molyneux was famous so back in the day. Molyneux describes it as “21st-century resolution and graphics and amazing visuals” but on a mobile platform.

“This is an experiment that is a game,” he explained. “It’s an experiment called Cooperation. We hinted at Cooperation about six months ago. It’s part of the plan. It’s another project. It’s an experiment in applying some of the stuff that we’ve learned from Curiosity – and we’re still learning masses from Curiosity – into this.”

“I’m one of those human beings who’s surprised he’s still alive every time he wakes up in the morning,” he said. “I think I will be doing games until the day I die. I can’t see that, at this rate, the way I’m burning through my life… I don’t see that I’ll be alive much longer.”

1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Drama queen.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 13:39.
    • bunimomike

To be honest, I’d agree… however, he actually sounds like he has some sort of mental condition that could easily be diagnosed by the medical community. Ignoring the obvious bullshititis and fableosis (the latter being a nasty condition where the world seems far more receptive to your insane ramblings than it actually is) I really do think he has something wrong with him. What a strange fellow.

I hope he’s surrounded by people who can steer him in a better direction or at least stand up to him and say “no… stop fiddling with kids”. No wait. That was Jimmy Savile. Still… principle’s the same.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:49.
  2. XisTG

Uhhh… ok.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 13:40.
  3. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Is this what it has come to, to publicise your game or who you are.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 13:43.
  4. Paranoimia

Don’t think I’ve ever played one of his games, and I don’t think I’ve missed much.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 13:47.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

You have. Populous is a defining moment in video game histroy, he invented a genre. Shame he’s never done anything to match it.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 13:53.
    • mrfodder

You have. Populous, Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper were fantastic games.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 13:53.
      • OneShotWook
        Since: Jun 2010

Don’t forget the magic carpet.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 17:45.
  5. Amphlett

Either my eyes are going or that’s one heavily Photoshopped publicity photo.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 14:00.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

Yep, he’s such a diva now he gets airbrushed.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 14:02.
  6. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Curiosity isn’t even the games’ section on the various app stores, it’s an app – he’s called it an experiment countless times & still people judge it as a game & call it pointless. I don’t get them at all.

I can imagine the small studio lacking in online experience has learnt more from their Curiosity experiment than they ever would hiring people they probably can’t afford to write netcode for them and learn nothing.

Sadly his popularity caused the experiemnt not just to have teething problems, but to bomb completely further damaging his reputation.

I’m very interested in Godus & no amount of sneering from people who don’t get that Curisoty wasn’t a game will change my mind.

Game concepts like Godus are Molyneaux’s bread & butter & it will be interesting to see a modern take on the genre, I just hope it’s not full of IAPs as that’s something I just can’t get on board with.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 14:17.
    • Forrest_01

I personally think that the kickstarters problem is that he is trying to kickstart a project which I (& possibly many others) feel would be much more at home on a PC or similar. The problem with mobile games is that they are generally appearing almost daily & usually get played by a casual crowd before being discarded for the next thing 2 weeks later. I can’t see many wanting to invest in that tbh.

If he was to change the priorities & make it a full game for PC or similar, I think a lot more people could get behind it.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 14:43.
    • KeRaSh

The way I see it Godus was always their goal. Curiosity was just a huge publicity stunt that semi-backfired due to all the problems that they hadn’t foreseen. I can’t blame them for not getting Curiosity right. Every major MP release had some issues in some form and small projects like this are no exception. Now they are asking for money to produce a game while their current project is still riddled with issues. That doesn’t really paint a safe picture for making an investment in that company, does it?

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 15:02.
  7. TSBonyman

Curiosity kills..

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 14:19.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

You are a sick man. However i did laugh very loudly.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:23.
    • avengerrr
      Since: Oct 2012

lol indeed

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:33.
    • bunimomike

Dear Santa,

my name is Mike and I’ve been a good boy this year. I would love for a Like button this Christmas.

Thanks in advance,

your Glove Puppet.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:51.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

Come on Mike, have you really been a good boy this year?

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 17:16.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

What have you done Peter!? He will list every “good” act he has done this year. I’m still recovering from last year when he showed me that list which he claimed was the award for winning all of the awards in the forums. *gets drunk because mindbleach is banned*

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 18:36.
  8. Bilbo_bobbins

this man is possibly one of the most annoying people on earth

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 14:57.
    • hazelam

in a universe where there exists a piers morgan that’s quite an achievement. ^_^

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 15:35.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

actually you’re right. I’ll put him at no. 2 then.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:09.
      • Amphlett

Christiano Ronaldo would also beat Molyneux in my list. That said, it does sound like a load of sycophantic twaddle Mr M’s spouting.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:31.
      • OneShotWook
        Since: Jun 2010

You’ve nailed it i think hazlelam,Molyneux is the Piers Morgan of videogaming.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 17:48.
  9. Sympozium

Poor guy… Hope Godus can be success for him and 22cans even though it should be on the pc platform, I can’t see mobile doing any good numbers but meh. Ok he may be annoying, over-promises and disappoint many but Molyneux’s passionate about the games hes making.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 15:46.
  10. avengerrr
    Since: Oct 2012

erm I’m not sure I’m understanding this correctly, how exactly is what Molyneux saying worth crying over and reporting on the Internet.

Economy and politics are not exactly flourishing and people have important issues to deal with like getting through a single day, having a roof over their head and eating. In other words surviving.

I won’t judge, granted there may be more than meets the eye, but on the surface I’m just asking What?

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 16:30.
    • bunimomike

Agreed, fella. It’s a 1st World Problem, let’s be fair. We’re in a consumer society where “problems” like these are worth reporting on. Then again, in a world where 90% of everything we buy is a “want”, not a “need”, you can’t help but laugh at the silly sod and the nonsense that seems to gush from his mouth like a burst water-main.

Sadly, the internet has given him a pedestal from which to spout such rhetoric – meaning he already believes in this bullshit. His cup overfloweth.

Comment posted on 22/11/2012 at 18:02.