Happy Monday everyone, Snatch is back after taking a brief hiatus on Friday due to me spending a day off work, eating cake and trying to finish Skyrim. I also spent a couple of hours watching TV, and proper ‘broadcast’ TV not catch up which meant adverts, specifically one for the Nintendo Wii U which you can see below.
‘What is the Wii U’ asks the advert that fails spectacularly to explain what the Wii U is – in fact it highlights what I consider to be a major problem with the console: you have to take your focus off the main screen to look at the GamePad.
I am not the only one confused by the Wii U, Atari founder and games industry veteran Nolan Bushnell has told the New York Times that he is equally combobulated.
“I actually am baffled by it,” said Bushnell, “I don’t think it’s going to be a big success. These things will continue to sputter along, but I really don’t think they’ll be of major import ever again. It feels like the end of an era to me.”
EA have come under attack from one of their own moderators on the Medal of Honor: Warfighter forums. The open letter by ‘DigitalHitmann’ criticises the company for trying to take on the Call Of Duty franchise.
“You’re trying to upbeat the competition by forcing us to play through “Hollywood” moments that we don’t want, nor do we need. Give us a moving and emotional storyline that we can remember. Characters and faces that we can relate to. That was the true vision of Electronic Arts years ago, not this petty competition for the best share of the profits.”
The Oliver Twins are hoping to bring Dizzy back to life in a new game for PC and iOS by using, yes, you guessed it, Kickstarter. It has been over twenty years since the last Dizzy game (putting aside the recent iPhone remake), personally I never liked them but with over fifteen games starring the acrobatic egg he has plenty of fans.
Good news! Bioshock Infinite will not include a half arsed forced into the game just so we can make DLC and try and stop people reselling their copies multiplayer! Ken Levine has tweeted ‘no multi’ in response to a question by a fan.
Bad news! Developer Eurocom has had to make large number of redundancies reducing their headcount from 200 to just 50 staff. They have released the following statement:
“We’ve fought to try and save as many jobs as possible, but the steep decline in demand for console games, culminating in a number of console projects falling through in the last week, left us with no option. Eurocom has retained a core staff of just under 50 employees and will be focusing mainly on mobile opportunities moving forward.”
Now by my count that makes them the four hundredth and twenty twooty billionth games developer to ‘focus of mobile development’. It is widely recognised that unless you have a big hit such as Angry Birds or Draw Something then making money off the app store is horrendously difficult so I’m wondering what has happened to all these developers who moved to mobile – we’ll certainly never hear of them again.
Oh. wait… yes we do, news just in that a Liverpool-based indie studio formed last year by senior ex-Bizarre Creations employees has closed. Despite releasing the well-received iPhone game Tiny Invaders the development team known as Hogrocket have gone their separate ways, blaming ‘a combination of factors, ranging from geographical to financial.’
Not News Snatch: A writer at Valve thinks Guillermo del Toro, widely regarded as a brilliant writer and director, would make a great director for a Half Life film.
And finally, a little treat for Game Of Thrones fans, artist Roberto Flores has imagined what TV series would look like as a 2D brawler and it’s certainly a lot better than the current Game Of Thrones tie in.
Robert is investigating the possibilities of a Kickstarter to make this happen, ‘Looking into licensing, probably not possible but still trying,’ he said.