News Snatch: Mirror's Edge 2, Battlefront 3 And TimeSplitters HD

And news of Stranger's Wrath on the Vita. But, well, not in Europe.

Oh you big tease EA, you know everyone would like DICE to make Mirror’s Edge 2 so you go and place a pair of Faith’s distinctive running shoes on top of a building in the latest Battlefield 3 DLC.

Details of the Skyrim ‘Dragonborn’ DLC have leaked thanks to a Bethesda beta tester and they include new locations, new shouts and new enemies to dispatch in clumsy slow motion. The new shouts sound quite fun, one is called ‘Bend Will’ and makes a Dragon fight for you. For the full spoilerific details click here.

Good news everyone! The PS Vita version of Stranger’s Wrath HD has a release date! It will be available in North America on December 18th! Wooo! Now the bad news, “We’re awaiting for SCEE approval before announcing the European release date.”

Oh dear.

More bad news, co-founder of Free Radical, Steve Ellis, claims Star Wars: Battlefront 3 was 99% finished before it was cancelled.

“We were making a game with very high ambition. You could start a battle on the ground, jump into a ship and fly into space, continuing on to dock in a capital ship and continue the battle there,” said Ellis.  ”We’d had to build all kinds of new tech and overcome numerous technical challenges and limitations but we had done it.”

“We had a 99% finished game that just needed bug fixing for release. It should have been our most successful game, but it was cancelled for financial reasons. I’m happy that people did at least get to see what we were working on and share the team’s enthusiasm for it.”

More good news (everyone)! Crytek have approved a fan made remake of TimeSplitters. A petition on Facebook was started and group administrator Daniel Wesoly posted “I have just had word from Crytek that they are going to permit and support a TimeSplitters CryEngine mod. I am now looking for modders that can handle the CryEngine. If I manage to get a group together, then they may let us use assets from the original TimeSplitters game!”

With Crytek approving the fan remake it is unlikely we will ever see an official Timesplitters HD collection so all hopes rest with Daniel.

The Walking Dead actors Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker will voice their respective characters to star in Activision’s upcoming zombie shooter, Survival Instinct.

Don’t forget there is scheduled maintenance of the PSN today from 4pm till 1am Tuesday morning. You should be able to sign in and play games but the store and account management will be offline.

And finally… it’s official Christmas so here’s a little mash up I made last year to get you in the mood. Ho, ho, and indeed, ho.

Read more: # #
  1. KeRaSh

Funny… Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee has been approved by SCEE and they are waiting for approval from SCEA.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:01.
    • jimmy-google

Of course they may not have been submitted at the same time.

SCEA have been know to release games with some big bugs in them like the one that wrecked Walking Dead save games. In fact that bug wrecked save games all formats which I believe was at a time when it was failing the tests at SCEE.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:11.
      • KeRaSh

Yeah, there was no sarcasm or anything of that sort in my comment. I actually find it funny that Stranger’s Wrath has been cleared by SCEA, while Munch’s Oddysee has been cleared by SCEE. Maybe they got the code at the same time but started working on different titles first. :)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:18.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Love the Mirror’s Edge easter egg, that’s cool.

Also good to hear about Stranger’s Wrath on Vita, although no date, I’m glad it’s still coming. I avoided playing the PS3 version we got with PS+ as I thought I’d have more time for the Vita version. Hoping there are some nice touch-screen implemented stuff or Vita exclusive extras!

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:07.
    • KeRaSh

I just couldn’t resist Stranger’s Wrath HD on the PS3 (bought it on day 1). I owned the OddBox for quite a while before SW HD came out and I held off playing it then in anticipation of the remake. Now I’ve played through SW HD twice and I’m not sure I need another version that I’ll probably not even play… Same with MO HD. It’s also part of the OddBox…

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:21.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Is the Oddbox a collection of the Oddworld games then? I’ve not owned any of the Oddworld games but everyone said how good SW was, so I’m looking forward to it! ;)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:25.
      • KeRaSh

The OddBox is a collection of Abe’s oddysee, Abe’s Exodus, Stranger’s Wrath (which got the HD update for free) and Munch’s Oddysee. It’s only available on PC, though. Got it during a Steam sale for 5€ if I recall correctly. It’s well worth the regular price, though. The first two games are true classics of the PS1 era. If you haven’t played them I urge you to do so.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:40.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Ahh PC, that’ll explain why I haven’t seen it!

I guess I’ll have to wait for the respective console versions since my PC struggles to run anything!

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 14:26.
      • KeRaSh

The Abe’s games are straight PS1 ports so you should be fine. They are available from the PSN, though. Might want to check them out! :)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 15:11.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Can’t believe they didn’t release Battlefront 3, especially if it was so close to being finished.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:21.
    • bunimomike

No company leaves things like that. It would be criminal to not wrap it up and get it out there. Dev-costs to finish it off might be £50,000 but it’ll make more than that, easily.

Give it time… I hope!

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:37.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

I think they got rid of the code used for SW:BF due to it being canned and they probably believed it wasn’t worth keeping. But still is a stupid thing to do by cancelling it when it’s almost done. It’s like making a cake then dumping it in the bin before it is almost done.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:47.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

The code will probably be sat on some blu-rays or DAT tapes (ahaa, I’m learning!) somwhere. I think the problem now is convincing the IP owners and funders to allow what’s playable to be polished up and released as a download. That’s probably already been suggested, which could imply that the big bosses said no because they don’t want to sully the image of a big franchise when they intend to have another release at some point in the future. Which is fine, unless they don’t get round to it. Thats me all speculated out for today.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 14:15.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

Hopefully if Star Wars 1313 is a success, LucasArts will see opportunity in the franchise and decide to release it.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 22:46.
  4. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

*reads that SW:BF3 was 99% completed and hangs himself*
    Surely they could have taken the risk as it would have cost them a lot to develop it so why not just get it out and make some profits. Cancelling it when it is almost complete is bad for bussiness as you have effectively pissed away thousands of dollars.

I had hoped that Dragon riding was scripted but am disappointied it is going to be another feature as the cities will look god damn awful from above due to them being seperate cells and knowing the creation engine, it will be awful to tolerable to fly. Am interested in that level 81 quest but that is a kick to the groin as it requires you to master every skill and would make the game boring to play due to you being the master of everything. :-/

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:35.
    • KeRaSh

Bethesda just tweeted that Dragonborn will be out on PC & PS3 early next year. Either they were able to fix the DLC issues in the PS3 version or they are trolling really hard.

I only replied to you because you mentioned Skyrim, I know you are passionate about the game and so others can see the information in case you are wondering why I didn’t actually comment on anything specific that you mentioned above. :)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 15:15.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

Probably been drawn up with the limitations of their PS3 code in mind. Whereas re-engineering everything for the first DLC was an imposible economically.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 15:34.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

I’ve given up all hope of DLC coming to PS3 and even if it did, i can’t buy it due to my connection plus, the old fat 80GB tends to become full very often. :O Hang on, i thought MS’s deal had ran out? If so then either they find it easier to develop for the 360 or they’ve been bribed to release it on 360 first. *dons foil hat* They are risking pissing off their PC fans as they helped to meld TES into the franchise it is today due to them supporting the first 2 games.

And i bet the DLCs will run like crap on the PS3. As i remeber seeing reports that Fallout 3 vomited the add-ons once you tried to play it. That and apparently made the entire game near to the point of being unplayable before they fixed it. :O Will pick up the GOTY version at some point.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 16:44.
  5. Origami Killer

Nice Mirror’s Edge touch to that level :)

Haven’t completed Stranger’s Wrath on PS3 yet after buying it day 1. Found it really difficult on hard so haven’t managed to get that far and I don’t wan’t to put the difficulty down

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 14:07.
  6. avengerrr
    Since: Oct 2012

Loved the Star Wars bit, my impression exactly. I’m very much pining for Mirror’s edge 2.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 15:53.
  7. TSBonyman

Great mashup! :D

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 23:15.