PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Drops Out Of Top 40 Chart After Just One Week

Despite being pretty good, Sony's side-on brawler looks set to disappear completely.

In its first week Sony’s PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale struggled to reach a decent chart position here in the UK all-format charts – but in its second week it’s vanished completely.

The game, according to Chart-Track, fell out of the top 40 completely, selling less than the critically mauled Call Of Duty: Black Ops Declassified on the PS Vita.

If you just factor in the PS3 charts, it’s dropped from 12th place to 19th, and from 8th to 9th in the PlayStation Vita specific charts.

Hopes that the game was doing gangbusters on PSN went largely unfounded, too.

Sony’s other big hope for this Christmas, Wonderbook: Book Of Spells, dropped from 20th to 21st place, although that title is much more likely to have a longer tail as we move towards Christmas.

1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

I wonder how well it’s doing in the the USA.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:14.
  2. Kovacs

*cough*
    its
    *cough*

:D

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:17.
  3. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

this really saddens me, since it’s such a brilliant game :(

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:25.
  4. Peter Chapman
    Team TSA: Editor

This is what I was worried about when I wrote that blog a couple of weeks ago. regardless of the game’s quality (and everyone I know who bought it thinks it’s brilliant), its marketing message has never been clear or attractive enough – in my opinion.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:32.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

Agreed….if you have seen any marketing lol

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 14:40.
  5. Tomhlord
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Apr 2009

Yet another story of Sony’s PlayStation PR & Marketing not up to scratch. Seems under-funded to me, but who knows?

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:33.
    • dave87fez
      Since: May 2011

I think it was advertised ENOUGH…just wasn’t advertised CORRECTLY.

Or maybe the type of game that it is just doesn’t’ t appeal to the masses. It’ s nice to be loved by a few, but financially much better to be liked by millions!

Comment posted on 07/12/2012 at 14:56.
  6. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Like Starhawk, Resistance, the original Uncharted and even the PS3 itself, it needed stronger marketing. A game being decent is one thing but people aren’t going to notice unless you shout it from the rooftops.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:39.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

It’s been advertised loads, I’ve never seen so many Sony adverts as I have for the Sony’s christmas quarter titles & consoles.

PSASBR, LBPK, Vita via CoD, Wonderbook & now the PS3 Superslim itself have all received more TV ads than I’ve seen for practically everything. One thing Sony haven’t skimped on this time around is TV ads unlike pretty much everything esle they’ve ever done.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 15:25.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

Oh really? Fair enough. I can’t say I’ve seen any but I’m hardly a huge TV buff :)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 15:42.
      • Forrest_01

Problem they face is on-demand. My wife watches nothing but on-demand, purely because she can skip through the adverts… & i don’t imagine for a second that she is alone.

Sony need to look at other avenues for their advertising going forwards i think.

Also, actually putting out decent adverts would be nice – I have only ever seen that PSASBR advert once & it made me cringe. That’s even before i saw ‘crack addict zippy’ in that advert too.

Yet a Far Cry 3 ad comes on with nothing but Vaas talking to the ‘camera’ for 10 seconds & i am transfixed.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 16:06.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

Not seen any adverts here. I’ve seen one for those animal figure type game, but other than that nothing. I guess it depends what TV you watch.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 16:09.
      • Forrest_01

That’s a fair point – Who are they advertising to & when are they advertising it? Are they being mainly advertised during children’s programmes for example & if so, who is deciding that should be the case? Is it down to Sony misjudging the market & putting them on at inappropriate times, or is it the channel holder doing so? That’s one example & you could pretty much do the same for other times/channels/markets.

Personally I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I will catch the odd bit mid-evening on the odd occasion & it’s mostly on-demand as well, so I don’t see a great number of ads anyway – That said though, I am wondering whether it comes down to a certain amount of engagement with the product. Now that I think about it, I may have seen the odd Vita ad & perhaps even something else, but I haven’t attached to them (& even bothered to remember them until now!), as I had no interest in what was being advertised.

Of course you could also say that the ad didn’t simply do enough to get me to want the product. Which is the whole point of advertising, surely?

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 16:44.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

I have a 1yo & a 10 yo and I’ve seen loads of LBPK & Wonderbook ads during programmes they’d lean towards.

The PS3, Vita thru CoD:D & PSASBR ads have all been during programmings targeted to Sony’s stated demographic – the core, male, console-owning gamer. I’ve seen ads on primetime, even one after the other during key popular programmes, Super Sunday & Champions League football across digital channels and terrestial. Sometimes they’ve even shown all 3 taken up a big portion of the ad breaks.

No one can say Sony haven’t gone to town on TV ads this Christmas period, there’s been more ads for PlayStation stuff than there has for CoD, Halo, ACIII & Wii U combined that I’ve seen, not just one offs either, but sustained.

Comment posted on 04/12/2012 at 10:40.
      • Forrest_01

Well that would go some way to explaining why i haven’t seen that many – I don’t watch football. Doesn’t really explain why others haven’t seen that many though (as i know others do), so that part baffles me a little.

As i mentioned before though, perhaps they are seeing them & little is registering becase either a) they are not interested in the product in the slightest (as with me & the Vita) or b) the advert is a bit rubbish, leaving nothing to get excited about.

Purely speculation on my part of course, as i have only ever seen the PSASBR one (& it is indeed rubbish) & the odd one for a Vita (which i have no interest in unless someone is going to give me one!).

Like i said though, perhaps they should be looking at other avenues of advertising to catch the on-demand demographic, which is growing daily.

Comment posted on 04/12/2012 at 11:47.
  7. jbni
    Since: Apr 2010

It may go the way of Rayman Origins – poor initial sales, but it has sold relatively well since then, especially after dropping its price.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:52.
  8. KeRaSh

Reminds me of Rayman Origins. Brilliant game that failed to sell even the smallest amount of copies because itwas released in the busiest gaming month of the year: November. Thankfully sales picked up around Christmas and again when the Vita version launched.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:53.
    • dave87fez
      Since: May 2011

Spooky you two coming up with nearly the same comment at the same time!

Comment posted on 07/12/2012 at 14:59.
  9. jimmy-google

Still not seen any adverts for it. Wonderbook seems to be on almost permanently, as do the Vita adds.

For me, the Vita version appears to be better but I won’t buy either version until they drop in price. I just don’t spent over £25 on any game. Prices have stayed quite high this Christmas.

Last year I already had Fifa 12 for about £18-£20. By the looks of it I won’t be getting Fifa 13. LBP Karting being reduced on Zavvi meant I picked up a copy for £22.46 yesterday which is a bargain. Some good pricing on PSASBR could give it a boost. I’ve already seen Wonderbook below £20.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:03.
    • Carl
      Since: Jan 2009

Well, Wonderbook was only about £23 to start with.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:08.
      • jimmy-google

Pre-orders started at £30 a couple of months ago but it seems to be dropping every week.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:15.
  10. Haydar
    Since: Mar 2012

I bought it from PSN and i think many did too.

I don’t know if you read the links that are given in articles and i don’t know if you’re even reading the articles but:

“The figures, from this week’s MCV, show FIFA 13 at the top, Hitman in second and Battle Royale in third. It’s impossible to gauge sales numbers from this, but regardless it sold more than Assassin’s Creed III, Resident Evil 6, Okami and Epic Mickey 2.”

What do you expect more from a fighting game? Do you expect a fighting game can beat FIFA too?

I read comments like “what a fail”, “another marketing bla bla”? Really, are these the best clichés you can produce?

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:07.
    • Haydar
      Since: Mar 2012

It’s really shocking for me that some comments here are like the Call of Duty games’ user critics in Metacritic.

0/10

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:08.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

Really? As i’ve not seen any comments that are like those on Metacritic, barring the resident fanboy that we ignore. In fact, TSA generally has little to no fanboys that post typical fanboy bull. Unless you meant the site that the article links to. If so, ignore this. Plus everyone’s opinion is welcomed here. :-)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 13:41.