Article written by Peter Chapman.
Published on 03/12/2012 at 09:43 AM.
Black Ops II is still holding on to the top spot, perhaps bolstered by its appearance on a new Nintendo platform. Activision’s flagship shooter is always expected to do well and although its sales dropped by 19 per cent, it was still strong enough to keep the week’s biggest new release in second place.
Far Cry 3 takes the accolade of the year’s ninth biggest launch to nestle just below Black Ops II. Hitman Absolution, the eighth biggest launch of the year, slips to fourth behind FIFA 13. EA’s football game is now, thanks to this week’s Wii U release, available on 9 formats.
The highest entry for Wii U exclusive software was at number 11 for Nintendo Land, the premium pack-in mini game collection that shows off the console’s new abilities. New Super Mario Bros U and ZombiU both made it to the top 20 too.
One title that didn’t make it into the top 20 was Sony’s Wonderbook debut, Book of Spells. It rests in the 21st position. I think that’s probably a very good sign for a product which could enjoy a nice long tail, similar to Nintendo’s usual sales pattern.
Here’s the top 20:
- CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- FAR CRY 3 – UBISOFT
- FIFA 13 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- HITMAN ABSOLUTION – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
- ASSASSIN’S CREED III – UBISOFT
- JUST DANCE 4 – UBISOFT
- LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- HALO 4 – MICROSOFT
- SKYLANDERS GIANTS – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- NINTENDO LAND – NINTENDO
- DISHONORED – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
- FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 – SEGA
- NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U – NINTENDO
- WWE ’13 – THQ
- MOSHI MONSTERS: MOSHLINGS THEME PARK – MIND CANDY
- ZOMBI U – UBISOFT
- MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 – NINTENDO
- FORZA HORIZON – MICROSOFT