UK Games Charts 03/12/12 - Wii U Launch and Far Cry 3

Nintendo Land represents, Wonderbook looking positive.

Black Ops II is still holding on to the top spot, perhaps bolstered by its appearance on a new Nintendo platform. Activision’s flagship shooter is always expected to do well and although its sales dropped by 19 per cent, it was still strong enough to keep the week’s biggest new release in second place.

Far Cry 3 takes the accolade of the year’s ninth biggest launch to nestle just below Black Ops II. Hitman Absolution, the eighth biggest launch of the year, slips to fourth behind FIFA 13. EA’s football game is now, thanks to this week’s Wii U release, available on 9 formats.

The highest entry for Wii U exclusive software was at number 11 for Nintendo Land, the premium pack-in mini game collection that shows off the console’s new abilities. New Super Mario Bros U and ZombiU both made it to the top 20 too.

One title that didn’t make it into the top 20 was Sony’s Wonderbook debut, Book of Spells. It rests in the 21st position. I think that’s probably a very good sign for a product which could enjoy a nice long tail, similar to Nintendo’s usual sales pattern.

Here’s the top 20:

18. MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER – ELECTRONIC ARTS
  19. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 – NINTENDO
  20. FORZA HORIZON – MICROSOFT

Source: UKIE

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Think that’s pretty good for Wonderbook, it should sell well each week until Christmas. No mention of PSASBR, more damp squib than long tail?

At least Sony have advertised everything, not only consoles but their titles individually.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 09:47.
    • Forrest_01

I think the issue with PSASBR is that no-one really knows what it is outside of gaming news circles – Hell, it doesn’t even know what it is itself really.

In my opinion, it wants to be a hardcore brawler but it’s not quite there & it also wants to be a cutesy fan fest, but it isn’t quite there on that mark either. It also looks a bit rubbish on shelves in its box & looks like Sony are just trying to cash in on what Smash Bros has already done. Not trying to rile people up who like it here, this is just my perception thus far.

I am personally not a fan (played it at eurogamer & it REALLY wasn’t for me), but I do at least wish it well – There are some out there that will clearly like the disorganised chaos it brings. It does have a lot to go up against though (ambiguity/criticism/other more high profile releases).

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:15.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

That’s my opinion, it uncomfortantly straddles two demographics and therefore fulfils neither. Although, everyone who has got it, loves it, so it must do something right.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:24.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Wonderbook has the best advertising I’ve seen from Sony (ever), wish they applied this with other stuff.

I think the PS3 is a little bit expensive for a family with young children (given the cost of the Move controllers etc), but I’d happily be proved wrong.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:30.
    • gideon1451

Read that as Wonderbra then :S

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:01.
      • Forrest_01

To be fair, Wonderbra does have some pretty ‘stand out’ advertising! :)

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:12.
    • jimmy-google

PSASBR is still in the PS3 top 20 but not in the all-format top 40.

Wonderbook rose to 6th on the PS3 chart.

What’s also strange is that of the three charting games, LBP (15th) is top, F1 (18th) second and Sonic third (22nd). The chart is littered with sequels. Only 3 games in the PS3 aresn’t sequels; Wonderbook, Dishonored and LBP Karting. F1 race starts and PSASBR are the only other 2 non-sequels in the top 20. Sleeping Dogs is the only other one in the top 30.

That’s only 6 new IP in the PS3 top 30. Very bad time of year for new IP. Christmas may seem like a good time with present buying but the same old games dominate.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:25.
  2. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Decent enough week-one showing for Ninty. Does anyone know if the bundled copies of ZombiU / NintendoLand count towards these chart positions?

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:01.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

If they’re in the Nintendo box then they don’t, if they’re bundled seperately by the retailer then they probably will do.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:11.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

As far as I’m aware it comes in the WiiU Premium box – thats the impression I got from one of those unboxing vids anywho.
        Wow, that is a lot of copies sold then – which is weird seeing as the cost of the Basic console + NintendoLand is basically the same as buying the Premium console with NintendoLand bundled in… :-| People are strange.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:14.
    • jimmy-google

The ZombiU pack accounted for 30% of WiiU hardware sales, 60% for the Nintendo Land Bundle.

Only 10% bought the 8GB Wii U.

Only 3 Wii U titles broke the individual format top 40 (they were all in the top 16). No sign of AC, COD, Batman or even Fifa. Looks like most went for the Wii U exclusives (Nintendo Land, New super Mario Bros. U and ZombiU).

Nintendo Land should have charted a lot higher with bundles included.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:39.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Wow, I have 4 out of the top 5 for a change! It feels nice to be playing and talking about current games, since I’ve been fighting with my backlog for the most of this year! There are some fantastic deals at the moment, no doubt I’ll end up building another backlog pile for 2013.

Other than that I only have Dishonored which I bought this week, and haven’t started yet.

Anyone know if The Walking Dead (disc release) is coming out on 7th in the UK? I beleive it was expected on this date, as it’s out in the US on 4th, although I can’t see it anywhere on the interwebs!

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:34.
    • LTG Davey
      andUandU

I doubt The Walking Dead will be out as soon as that unfortunately :( Amazon don’t even have it for pre order yet.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:43.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

That’s good, as I’ve spent lots on games already this and last month! ;)

I have it on download but I liked it so much I’d like it on disc (and it would free-up some HDD space), assuming it’s £20ish like BttF was!

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:45.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

Yeah, I held fire downloading it in the hope they would do a disk copy at some point. Hopefully it comes out in January when Mr Santa has replenished some of my funds lol.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 10:59.
  4. Origami Killer

Good to see Far Cry 3 selling well, really cannot wait til chirstmas to get my hands on it :) I’m really interested by Wonderbook too, the Harry potter universe game looks cool.

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 11:59.
  5. jimmy-google

“Black Ops II is still holding on to the top spot, perhaps bolstered by its appearance on a new Nintendo platform.”

Black Ops on Wii U didn’t seem to make much impact as it didn’t break the individual formats top 40. The 360 version is no.1 and PS3 no.2

Comment posted on 03/12/2012 at 12:29.