Sony Calls an End to PlayStation 2 Production in Japan

Resources shifting to the PS4?

After nearly thirteen years, Sony has ceased production on what is arguably the most important console in history, the PlayStation 2. We mentioned this before New Year, but it might have been missed.

Sony has told retailers in Japan not to expect new shipments of the famous old console, so far no announcement has been made regarding the rest of the world. Is this the end of the PS2? Not quite, some developers will continue to release games for the platform – Final Fantasy: Seekers of Adoulin launches in March.

As you’d expect the best selling console in history – at 150+ million units, the PS2 boasts some rather astonishing stats. A console is nothing without great games and the PS2 kept players busy with a library almost 11,000 strong, selling 1.5 billion copies in total. Rockstar released the system’s best selling game, with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas shifting a remarkable 17+ million copies.

It’s hard to breath in the games industry at the moment without someone making a connection to the next generation, but it has to be said – this does smack of Sony freeing up room for production of their next PlayStation system.

With the curtain finally starting to fall on the PlayStation 2, what’s your overriding memory of Sony’s greatest product?

Read more: # # #
  1. Torquemada
    Since: Oct 2008

Having an affordable dvd player under my telly. And not a bad one either. Plus the death of platform games. The PS1 was saturated with them in the end, and I was slowly going off gaming because of that.

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 09:15.
  2. wolf-OF-chaos
    Since: Feb 2012

Wow, i have had my ps2 for 12 years, the first games i got with it was mgs 2 and devil may cry.

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 09:30.
  3. XisTG

I remember how amazing it was that the console could stand! But in the end mine was kept horizontally :)

Worked through my Summer vacations to buy this beast, bundled with Gran Turismo. But Final Fantasy X was the game I enjoyed more, I think :)

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 10:13.
  4. wirralsman
    Since: Oct 2010

I remember getting my trusty PS2 over 11 years ago… Still (just about) works to this day, but is overshadowed by it’s little brother in the living room

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 10:15.
  5. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

The PS2 must be the only console that has lasted more then half of the next generation and was very close to lasting two generations. :O I owned two PS2s in total. The first one was a fat one which died in 2005 and the other one was a slim. Which i regret selling due to me wishing i still had it and a part of my PS2 collection, which consisted of 60+games. Probably half of it were decent games. :O

I wonder if we will see a console achieving the same thing that the PS2 managed to do?

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 10:36.
  6. Bilbo_bobbins

Ahhh happy memories of getting mine on launch day and it costing nearly £500 for the bits and bobs.

Crash Bandicoot racing was a favourite for me on the ps2.

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 10:46.
  7. stueeeee

I remember getting mine after saving up my paper round money. And got mgs2 and Spyhunter!

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 11:01.
  8. bowie
    Since: Jan 2012

I just moved and had to make some tough decisions about what to keep and what to let go of. As a result my trusty ps2 went to landfill. My ps2 got me back into gaming after break of several years, introduced me to burnout, ratchet, gran turismo and a whole lot more. But once I got my ps3 I never looked back.

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 11:17.
  9. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 11:20.
  10. MICKY17

I remember playing THPS3 round my mates house and loving it so much I went and bought one myself. Also remember playing Vice City for the first time, and thinking “it doesn’t get better than this”. :)

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 11:43.